General David Weisiger shirt’s collar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General David Weisiger shirt’s collar

Surely you know that shirt the General Weisiger had worn at the Crater battle. It is pictured in EOG, drafted in The Confederate Sketchbook and CC also patterned and sold it since years. I think it is still now at the Museum of the Confederacy.

It look like a standard civilian shirt with shaped armholes, a front plackets and a small band collar.

My question is about that particular style of collar. I always think that band collar was made for use with attaching, separate collar, on fancy or dress shirts. But the Weisiger shirt look very crude. More close than a work shirt than a dress shirt.

Are all these band collars made to be used with separate collars or some of these may be made to use alone, without separate collar ?

Of course I speak of civilians shirts. Not of the military overshirts like the one seen on the famous William Ott picture.
    [I]Gettysburg 1993
    Red River Campaign, April 3-9 1994[/I]

Jean-Marc "Blum" Atlan

Re: General David Weisiger shirt’s collar

Mark,

Banded collars were not always designed for a attaching a "paper" or dress collar. The Weisinger shirt, which is in the MOC, shows no signs of ever having buttons to attach a collar. As you noted, it is just a simple shirt pressed into military service.
    John Stillwagon

Comment

Mark,

Banded collars were not always designed for a attaching a "paper" or dress collar. The Weisinger shirt, which is in the MOC, shows no signs of ever having buttons to attach a collar. As you noted, it is just a simple shirt pressed into military service.

The Selden shirt is another example of a period man's shirt with a band collar that never featured an attachable collar. Of course, pattern-wise, the Selden shirt is more of an 18th century shirt than a 19th century shirt.
      John Stillwagon

Comment

Thank you, John, for your answer.

I always think all collarless shirts are made for be used with separates collars. It is very interesting.

Do you think this type of collar may also be appropriate for a civilian overshirt ? Overshirts are often only heavy shirts worn over another one, I suppose any appropriate pattern may be ok and the answer probably will be Yes but I have no source to confirm that.

I had just a look on an old 1989 CC catalog and by this time, he sold three collarless shirts patterns : Weisiger, Selden and another just named «*civilian shirt*».
        [I]Gettysburg 1993
        Red River Campaign, April 3-9 1994[/I]

Jean-Marc "Blum" Atlan

Comment

Working...
        X