CW snipper glasses on Ebay !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CW snipper glasses on Ebay !

Do you know that item on sold on Ebay ? Civil War snipper glasses !

[I]Gettysburg 1993
    Red River Campaign, April 3-9 1994[/I]

Jean-Marc "Blum" Atlan

Re: CW snipper glasses on Ebay !

sharpshooter spectacles? you never seen them? they're just tinted glasses with a clear circle in the middle and frosted around it, i have also seen one that had an amber circle surounded by black glass, they were not an issue item, they were a private purchase by sharpshooters, supposedly the frosting with a clear circle about the same diameter as a period brass tubular scope and was to be able to more effectivle direct your eye down the scope without distractions... there are other stories i have heard when i went looking for a pair a little while ago but this one was the dominant story. as of yet i do not have documented proof of this information.

Mr. Lionberger,

Please sign your full name to every post. We do not allow unsigned or anonymous posts on these forums.

This is your THIRD and FINAL warning.

Thank you,

John Stillwagon
    Forum Officer
    Last edited by Yellowhammer; 05-28-2004, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyzouave
      sharpshooter spectacles? you never seen them? they're just tinted glasses with a clear circle in the middle and frosted around it, i have also seen one that had an amber circle surounded by black glass, they were not an issue item, they were a private purchase by sharpshooters, supposedly the frosting with a clear circle about the same diameter as a period brass tubular scope and was to be able to more effectivle direct your eye down the scope without distractions... there are other stories i have heard when i went looking for a pair a little while ago but this one was the dominant story. as of yet i do not have documented proof of this information.
      In addition to the scope aspect, the shaded area really blocks out distraction when sighting down normal sights, as most sharpshooters did. Give it a try!
      ~ Chris Hubbard
      Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
      [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

I think those were ment for people with ailments such as glaucoma.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Tinted glasses like that - in green and amber - were used for various conditions throughout the mid 1800s such as weakness of the eyes from aging or travelling or a retina sensitized by something like scarlet fever. Unless there was documentation the seller wasn't mentioning (doubtful) I wouldn't automatically assume these were sharpshooters glasses - the same way I wouldn't automatically assume that a period tin cup belonged to a soldier. The seller calls them "adjustable" - they are not meant to be adjustable - sliding temples are just a style that predominated in the couple of decades prior to the 1860s. By the 1860s they were still around but new spectacles tended to have 1-piece temples by then. There is a good chance that these spectacles predate the war. If you look in Richard Caton Woodville's "Waiting for the Stage" (1850ish) you will see the central figure in a very nonmilitary setting is wearing spectacles with tinted lenses - frosted around the edges with an unfrosted spot in the center - in fact he even has tinted wing lenses. I have attached a link to a small pic of this painting. If you get a chance to see the original or a full sized reproduction you will find it is full of all sorts of great details as are all of Woodville's genre paintings.
          BTW - From what I have seen in New England antique shops, the glasses on Ebay are now about twice the price you could find them for if you do a little shopping.
          Last edited by John Peterson; 05-27-2004, 10:04 PM.
          John Peterson

Comment

Thank you John for that excellent post!

I believe the origin of the "sharpshooter glasses" misnomer originated from "Lord's Encyclopedia." That tome has a similar pair that are identified as such.

I have never seen any evidence associating eyewear of this type with Civil War sharpshooters.
            John Stillwagon

Comment

Ditto on John's post - and ask yourself how difficult it is to do any kind of spotting and shooting with glasses against a scope, esp in the 19th century where the specs were not made to the exacting tolerances they are now.

This guy has a 98.7% approval rating, which is actually quite low for a power seller. This won't help. :confused_
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

What the heck is a snipper glass? I have heard of a snifter glass, but not a snipper one.

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

Alors mes Enfants, je pense que Jean-Marc's English is far better than my French.

(I would make allowance, his being in France. ;-) )

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                  L' Enfant Terrible
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Well, everybody know these spectacles but me ! :o

Humm ! «*The man who ask a question look fool only five minutes, the man who never ask questions is fool all is life.*» Japanese proverb….I think ! :D

Thank you all for your interesting answers and also Curt-Heinrich for your help !
                    [I]Gettysburg 1993
                    Red River Campaign, April 3-9 1994[/I]

Jean-Marc "Blum" Atlan

Comment

Sniper glasses or not I'm still kicking myself for passing on a pair some years ago. I was at a small event in the mountains of Kentucky neigh on 13 years ago and came across a pair of them IN MY PERSCRIPTION for $25.00. I was younger, poorer and dumb as a rock. If I could turn back time I'd have those glasses.

Comment

Working...
                      X