Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharps chamber sleeve tool, grrrrrrrrr

Howdy all,
    Yesterday I finally recieved the chamber sleeve removal tool for My IAB Sharps carbine. I have run into a problem with it. When I insert it into the chamber and start tightening the threaded allen fastener to wedge the tool into the chamber,it tightens a little the the whole tool spins inside the chamber. I bought the carbine used and I have a feeling that the previous owner never serviced the chamber sleeve so I have a feeling that it is going to be a bit tough to remove, to say the least. When do get the sleeve out I'm going to chean the sleeve and the inside of the chamber and apply some anti-sieze compound when put it back together. I seem to remember a thread here a year or so ago on what to put on the sleeve, I am going to search for it in case it is still in the archives.
    If anyone has any information that will help me to get the tool to stay put while I tighten the fastener, please let Me know, as I said, I have a feeling the sleeve is going to be a bit tough to remove and I dont see how Im going to be able to remove it without being able to get the tool good and tight.This might be fun :confused_
    Thank You very much in advance,
    Sincerely,
    John Rogers

Re: Sharps chamber sleeve tool, grrrrrrrrr

Hallo Kamerad!

I had ordered one of the tools but have not had the opportunity to use it yet...

On original Sharps, the gas check "floats" on the breechblock, and is forced forward against the chamber to "seal" it.
    On the Italian reproductions, they have made the gas seal a fixed part of the breech block, and installed a "floating" sleeve in the chamber to work in reverse.
    However, Italian arms being inconsistent when it comes to quality and Quality Control, a number of the "sleeves" are poorly finished and poorly fitted.
    Some are wedged in and do not move, some move a little, and others after a few shots "gum up" and stick leaving a gap which leaks crud and freezes up the rise and fall of the block.

Some lads (or have gunsmiths) remove the "sleeve' and polish it so that it is freely moving when it goes back in the chamber. (Some polish it so much it almost falls out with a tap...)
    Other lads (or have gunsmiths) remove the sleeve, install a new one and epoxy it into place. Then the fixed gas plate/gas check is machined out and replaced with a new one so it would fit into the breechblock face and actually "float" as on a Sharps to seal the gap.

Other Sharps repro's like Shiloh and the older Sile were made properly.

In any event, once the "floating sleeve" is cleaned up and polished, it will extend the number of rounds that can be fired before the block binds and freezes up.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt,

I have one of the Garret Sharps with the floating gas plate. I have never replaced it but then again the carbine hasn't been shot much and is almost new considering it was bought in the early 80's.. Should ever the plate need to be replaced do you know anyone making those? When it is shot, it is shot with live ammo, never used blanks in it so there is a little more blow by than with blanks.

Thanks
      Jim Kindred

Comment

Hallo Herr Jim!

I had a Sile, a Garret rifle and carbine, a Shiloh rifle, and an unfired Pedersoli rifle (hence the tool I never used, and I since sold the Pedersoli)...

Sorry, no I do not know of anyone. Back in the "80's," I had a friend who was a machinist/tool maker for Chevy and he made up a spare gas check for me..

And on a side note, another of my friends showed up with the missing stamp art from last May (2003) so I will be taking the plate in to have it made up in the next week or two.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt,

Thanks. As much as I shot that Garret that plate will probably out last me. :wink_smil

Thanks also for the heads up on the stamps, I appreciate your efforts on those.
          Jim Kindred

Comment

Working...
          X