Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patterns?

Good Morning
    I conducted a search this morning for correct patterns and came up with little. The few I found off the AC site were from mainstream sutlers and offered very little in authenticity department. Can someone please direct me to where I can find some good patterns for everything from drawers and shirts to sack and frocks. Thankee
    Most Respectfully
    Drew Gruber
    14thNJVI
    Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Re: Patterns?

Originally posted by Busterbuttonboy
    Good Morning
    I conducted a search this morning for correct patterns and came up with little. The few I found off the AC site were from mainstream sutlers and offered very little in authenticity department. Can someone please direct me to where I can find some good patterns for everything from drawers and shirts to sack and frocks. Thankee
    Most Respectfully
    Drew Gruber
    14thNJVI
    Past Patterns at http://pastpatterns.com has a wide range of patterns. Saundra does a good job of documentation for her patterns.
    Virginia Mescher
    vmescher@vt.edu
    http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

I also endorse Past Patterns. They contain plenty of instructions and documented information about the original garments from which the patterns are made. They do not currently offer a men's sack coat or frock coat pattern. She does, however, offer a pattern for a men's jacket called a paletot, which was apparently a fairly common men's jacket in the 1850's.

Dan Hadley
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

These threads didn't come up in your search? They were in the links found in the "related topics" at the bottom of your post.

As for Past Patterns, I've heard nothing but good things, but they seem have a rather limited range of men's patterns. As far as the CW era goes, they have patterns for shirts, drawers, civilian and military trousers and a paleot. Their 1870's overalls can be adapted for 1860's use as well, so I hear. While it is entirely possible to make a full suit of men's clothing from their patterns, they're still not "one stop shopping" for someone wanting a military uniform.

I don't say any of this as a critisism, but I wish they did have a larger men's line. There seems to be a growing demand for patterns, and though there are a few good sources, there are garments like frocks, for which good patterns are not as readily available.
        Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Thankee all very much. Especially Phil, i didnt not get thos hits when i did the search (i aint good with computers) and its beyond me how i forgot about Ben and Country Cloth. Thanks all again.
          Drew Gruber
          Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

Oh yeah, County Cloth anyone? Charlie doesn't have everything that you have requested, sir, but rest assured you cannot go wrong with he does have!
            Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Working...
            X