Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanning metal...

Ladies and Gentlemen,

As I have been unable to locate anything on the subject using the search function, I am inquiring as to whether any of you have tried japanning metal.

I have found a few modern resources for reproducing japanned tin, but they all seem to differ in various ways.

Most call for a mixture of linseed oil, turpentine, and asphaltum. Where they differ is in the finishing process.

One calls for an hour at 400 degrees, one says never go over 300 degrees, one says to go 300 degrees for an hour, then 350 degrees for another. Does anyone know of a SAFE period receipt that may be used? I am trying to japan some buckles for use on a knapsack.

I will be doing this outside in a ventilated area and using a toaster oven for a heating/curing source.
    Ben Thomas
    14th Alabama Volunteer Infantry, Co. G
    "The Hilliby True Blues"

The Possum Skinners Mess

"Non gratis anus opossum"

Re: Japanning metal...

Hello,
    He is something from "Fortunes in Formulas" by Books, Inc., NY, & Boston.
    Black Japanese Varnish: I. Sculpture varnish, 5 parts; red acaroid varnish, 2 parts; aniline black, .25 part; Lyons blue, .0015 parts. If a sculpture varnish prepared with heated copal is employed, a black lacquer of especially good quality is obtained. Usually 1 per cent of oil of lavender is added. II. Shellac, 4 parts; Borax, 2 parts; Glycerine, 2 parts; Aniline Black, 5 parts; & Water, 50 parts. Dissolve the borax in the water, add the shellac, and heat until solution is effected; then add the other ingredients. This is a mat-black varnish.

These finishes above were spirit lacquers that were employed in the wood & metal industries. They were called (I.) Black Japanese varnishes or (II.) Black Brilliant varnishes.

Cary A. Davisson

Comment

Everything you need to know.

Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I have heard that a big problem with Jappaning is simply when to do it, I mean I talked to a fellow who jappaned a tin to hold a collapsible cup and he melted the solder when he baked it...

The timing is important in pieced goods and certainly not a problem with buckles.
        B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Working...
        X