Uniform Research Links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniform Research Links

We just finished re-working the Research Center of our website. We've added a bunch of new articles and listed easy to find links to older articles.

This research takes many forms. It may be chapters from the US Quartermaster's Manual, photos and notes for original Civil War garments or workshops designed to aid in the reproduction of historic clothing. Some of this information comes from historians like Fred Gaede and Jerry Coates who have allowed me to publish information on my website, some information comes from primary resources like the National Archives, but it is all well documented and very informative.

Only through the free exchange of information can we gain a better understanding of our nation's past. I encourage you to use these pages as a resource for your studies and please inform others about these pages as well. Happy reading and if you have any questions, please ask tailor@cjdaley.com

If there is a topic/uniform you'd like to see more notes on, please let me know and I'll see what I can do to post the info. This webpage will be updated monthly so keep checking back.

Click the image below to enter our research page:

[COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Re: Uniform Research Links

Master and Commander Daley,

Did you receive that zip disk I sent last week?

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Yeah, thanks Mark, but have been busy and haven't even down loaded it yet.
      [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Very good. I'll think you'll find that perusing it will be an edifying experience. The dissertation is massive but it's still a "page-turner."

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Hallo Herr Chris!

Thank you for your efforts on our behalf!!!

(IMHO, while an educated consumer can be the best customer, a period educated consumer of research can be the best living historian.)

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks Curt.

My goal over the next few years is to expand the uniform studies to make it more of an online "Echoes of Glory". I plan to keep this section of the website as a free research tool for the hobby and collectors.

While some of the QM reports are 'cut and paste' research, the uniform studies are something I really enjoy putting together. If anyone has suggestions of uniforms studies or articles they'd like to see, please feel free to contact me and I'll see what I can do.

Happy researching!

Comment

Is that not Boston Corbett, the sergeant who shot J.W. Booth, on the banner?
              Bob Muehleisen
              Furious Five
              Cin, O.

Comment

Originally posted by Milliron
                Is that not Boston Corbett, the sergeant who shot J.W. Booth, on the banner?
                That's him! He's one of those oddities of history. First he castrated himself, then he was a sharpshooter during the war, then he capped Booth, he held a legistlator at gun point at the Kansas State House and he is one of the only enlistedmen to have a monument raised in his honor. No one is really sure when/where he died, but I suppose that's fitting considering Boston's history.

Comment

Indeed. Today, we'd give the guy his "15 Minutes of Fame" on Jerry Springer....

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
                  Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Corbett's hair

I read that Corbett kept his hair long, at least before the war, in an imitation of Christ's. However, what I find interesting is what is apparently a distinct center part of the hair, which in the early 1860s was thought by many to be almost invariably feminine, although I'm sure there were exceptions. Perhaps the gentleman had a number of issues...

Vicki Betts
                    vbetts@gower.net

Comment

Re: Corbett's hair

Chris,

Thank you so much for puting your hard pressed time into this wonderful resource. It is greatly appreciated by all.

-Tad
                      Tad Salyards
                      Mpls, MN - 33d Wisconsin

Comment

Re: Corbett's hair

Originally posted by vbetts
                        What I find interesting is what is apparently a distinct center part of the hair, which in the early 1860s was thought by many to be almost invariably feminine, although I'm sure there were exceptions. Perhaps the gentleman had a number of issues...yvbetts@gower.net
                        A book recently reviewed by The New York Times makes the point that homsexuality, while often described as "the love that dare not speak its name," was nevertheless widely recognized in the Victorian era by the symbols and other telltale markers that are now lost to us. I don't have the review any longer, but it maintained that 19th Century folk knew perfectly well what sexual orientation someone was because there were subtle but open clues that everyone accepted and recognized, much like the vogue for pinky rings among gays at the turn of the last century. The "Boston marriage" for example, was nothing that made the news, yet was fairly common among women with the financial means to live apart from men. Walt Whitman's sexual proclivities have been widely discussed, and apparently he had liaisons with several Union soldiers after nursing them back to health. He didn't have to trumpet his inclinations, nor do I suspect there were gay bars or personal ads to rely on.

Again, we're struggling to sort out today what everyone took for granted back then: social indicators.
                        Bill Cross
                        The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Working...
                        X