• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather Varnishes!

Hello Pards,

Leather Varnishes. Part I.
    by "Fortunes in Formulas", Books, Inc., NY, & Boston

Thought I'd run this formula past ya. If you can figure out this great old finish, then you can use it on your cartridge box flap. When used properly, it should look like modern patent leather with less shine. The following varnish formula contains measurements that are for industrial strength and should be broken down to fit your needs. There is also a formula for preventive cracking on leather surfaces. I'll save that one for a later posting.

I. An excellent varnish for leather can be made from the following recipe: Heat 400 lbs. of boiled oil to 212* F., and add little by little 2 lbs. of bichromate of potash, keeping the same temperature. The addition of the bichromate should take about 15 mins. Raise to 310* F., and add gradually during 1 hr. at that temp., 40 lbs. Prussian blue. Heat for 3 hrs. more, gradually raising to 482* to 572* F., with constant stirring. In the meantime, heat together at 392* F., for 1/2 an hr., 25 lbs. linseed oil, 35 lbs. copal, 75 lbs. turpentine, and 7 lbs. ceresine. Mix the two varnishes, and dilute, if necessary, when cold with turpentine. The varnish should require to be warmed for easy application with the brush.

Cary A. Davisson

Re: Leather Varnishes!

Originally posted by Cary Davisson
    Hello Pards,

Leather Varnishes. Part I.
    by "Fortunes in Formulas", Books, Inc., NY, & Boston

Thought I'd run this formula past ya. If you can figure out this great old finish, then you can use it on your cartridge box flap. When used properly, it should look like modern patent leather with less shine. The following varnish formula contains measurements that are for industrial strength and should be broken down to fit your needs. There is also a formula for preventive cracking on leather surfaces. I'll save that one for a later posting.

I. An excellent varnish for leather can be made from the following recipe: Heat 400 lbs. of boiled oil to 212* F., and add little by little 2 lbs. of bichromate of potash, keeping the same temperature. The addition of the bichromate should take about 15 mins. Raise to 310* F., and add gradually during 1 hr. at that temp., 40 lbs. Prussian blue. Heat for 3 hrs. more, gradually raising to 482* to 572* F., with constant stirring. In the meantime, heat together at 392* F., for 1/2 an hr., 25 lbs. linseed oil, 35 lbs. copal, 75 lbs. turpentine, and 7 lbs. ceresine. Mix the two varnishes, and dilute, if necessary, when cold with turpentine. The varnish should require to be warmed for easy application with the brush.

Cary A. Davisson

Cary,
    Thanks. That's great stuff! My wife is really going to kill me now.......

Rich Croxton
    Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Working...
    X