stock defarb error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stock defarb error

I was just looking through the 61 Springfield defarb thread and found this technique for stock refinishing:

An equal part Linseed Oil, Spar Varnish and Turpentine. I've also taken formula No. 1 and cut it in half again with Turpentine (formula No. 2) to allow it to penetrate the wood deeper.

I did my enfield stock with plain boiled Linseed Oil (3 coats I think) It seems dry and is slightly darker than the sanded wood was. Have I done something bad for my stock or just something that is that other "F" word?
    Last edited by ; 06-12-2004, 05:12 AM. Reason: to complete a thought

Re: stock defarb error

Hallo Kamerad!

Short answer, NO.

The use of modern "Boiled Linseed Oil" is a highly accepted and widely practiced hobbywide "de-farb" technique.

However, it only simulates the look of period armory "hot oil dipped" linseed oil finish (for greater detail, I believe this is covered in the SEARCH posts..).
    The reason being that modern "Boiled Linseed Oil" is highly purified which removes the "protective" resins and gums, plus has modern chemicals added to speed drying times.
    While the drying time is irrevelent, the lack of the protective qualities makes a slightly different looking and different functioning finish.

The "recipes" cited add the "resins/gums" back into the modern boiled linseed oil to make it more in line with the period "hard oil."

Modern "Boiled Linseed Oil" remains hygroscopic, meaning that water (rain, snow, humidity, cleaning juice) is not kept from being absorbed into the wood.
    30-40-50 hand-rubbed coats of modern Boiled Linseed Oil begins to achieve somewhat of a "period" factor; but the 2-5 applications commonly done today does not. :-)

And, "oiling" the stock does darken the wood as intended. (However, most all of the Northern Italian hardwood and even Italian walnut [actually correct for Enfields, when not English beech] does not appproximate the Pennsylvania American Black Walnut used on Springfields wihtout judicious staining help.

Alos, any first or prior oiling of wood interfers with its ability to take stain.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Re: stock defarb error

Once again, MR Schmidt comes through. Thank you, sir.

Comment

Working...
      X