Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• authentic containers

Gents,
    What's the best place to get some personal items (currency, papers, pencils, cards, tooth brush, etc.)? Also, does anyone know of a sutler who has authetic containers (tins, glass, etc.) in which to put some foot powder, tooth powder, things like that?

Thanks for the help.
    Semper Fi.
    John Turner
    John "Red' Turner

Re: authentic containers

Originally posted by John "Red" Turner
    Gents,
    What's the best place to get some personal items (currency, papers, pencils, cards, tooth brush, etc.)? Also, does anyone know of a sutler who has authetic containers (tins, glass, etc.) in which to put some foot powder, tooth powder, things like that?

Thanks for the help.
    Semper Fi.
    John Turner
    Currency: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...thentic+script
    Cards: http://skilletlicker.com/
    Toothbrush (Bone): http://ss-sutler.com/
    Tins: http://www.sover.net/~ottertin/ottertin/octinw1.html
    Glass: Antique stores, possibly e-bay?
    Hope this provides some kind of help friend.
    Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

For authentic period reproduction bottles and glass containers, you might want to give Dogriver Glass works a try as well. http://www.dogriverglassworks.com/
      Michael Semann
      AC Staff Member Emeritus.

Comment

sullivan press

For personal papers, powered ink, pens, ink wells, writeing paper, and pulp books.

Jasper

Comment

Originally posted by Jasper
          sullivan press

For personal papers, powered ink, pens, ink wells, writeing paper, and pulp books.

Jasper
          Just a warning, he does carry said items, however, you may be disapointed with the lack of communication, delivery time, and condition of the items as they arrive at your address.

Sorry mods if this belongs elsewhere.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Matt Caldwell

GHTI

WIG[/FONT]

Comment

Beware of glass from antique stores if you are actually going to use them for anything other than display. There is no telling what was in them and if you attempt to sanitize / sterilize them there is always a danger of damage. I once found a really nice 19th century bottle at a yard sale for only a buck. As I was giving the fellow the money he told me to be careful because his dad had used the bottle to store rat poison. If this bottle had ended up in an antique store, the end user would never have known.
            Marlin Teat
            [I]“The initial or easy tendency in looking at history is to see it through hindsight. In doing that, we remove the fact that living historical actors at that time…didn’t yet know what was going to happen. We cannot understand the decisions they made unless we understand how they perceived the world they were living in and the choices they were facing.”[/I]-Christopher Browning

Comment

Originally posted by John "Red" Turner
              Gents,

Thanks for the help.
              Semper Fi.
              John Turner
              John,

Check out our web page for repro pencils. If you have any questions, please contact me privately.
              Virginia Mescher
              vmescher@vt.edu
              http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Originally posted by marlin teat
                Beware of glass from antique stores if you are actually going to use them for anything other than display. There is no telling what was in them and if you attempt to sanitize / sterilize them there is always a danger of damage. I once found a really nice 19th century bottle at a yard sale for only a buck. As I was giving the fellow the money he told me to be careful because his dad had used the bottle to store rat poison. If this bottle had ended up in an antique store, the end user would never have known.
                Comrade,
                Good advice. My father ran an antiques business for more than 30 years. Heck, he still does some work with it from time to time. When we purchased antique bottles, or bottles of any kind that were without a label, we would soak them for a time in a solution of bleach and warm water, then rinse them well and run them through the dishwasher. It worked very well not only to sanitize the bottles, but to "refresh" them and make them much more presentable. I still do the same with any that I buy and plan to actually use.
                respects,
                Tim Kindred
                Medical Mess
                Solar Star Lodge #14
                Bath, Maine

Comment

John,

Try looking around Gettysburg, PA. There are a number of good stores that carry the items you seek.

Dave Lotter

QUOTE=John "Red" Turner]Gents,

Thanks for the help.
                  Semper Fi.
                  John Turner[/QUOTE]
                  [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]David Evan Lotter[/FONT]

Comment

One container that needs to make a return is paper mache. This was a fabulously popular material for everything from snuff boxes to powder containers. The paper mache was formed into a box or container (there were even cups) and then heavily lacquered with several coats. Black lacquer was most commonly used (or painted black then lacquered) and a nice floral design was often painted on the object.
                    “The technique of molding paper pulp and hardening with lacquer was known in France in the 17th century and subsequently the rest of Europe. Its uses ranged from snuff boxes and tea trays to architectural molding and furniture.
                    Methods of production were refined to produce an extremely resilient material that reached its heyday in Europe and America in the second half of the 19th century. There are records of its use in the building of a boat and remarkably, a village of ten prefabricated houses ordered by an English immigrant for a settlement in Australia.” (http://inventors.about.com/gi/dynami...jhhistory.html)

“Henry Clay, a tin-ware manufacturer discovered a way to produce papier mache that was so strong that it had the same qualities of durability as wood. He did this by gluing specially prepared paper under heat to form tough, heat resistant, panels. He took out a patent on this.” (http://www.papiermache.co.uk/origins/index.php)

Ohio State University also has a nice fact sheet detailing a bit of history of packaging.
                    Very early in time, food was consumed where it was found. Families and villages were self-sufficient, making and catching what they used. When containers were needed, nature provided gourds, shells and leaves to use. Later, containers were fashioned from natural materials, such as hollowed logs, woven grasses and animal organs. Fabrics descended from furs used as primitive clothing. Fibers were matted into felts by plaiting or weaving....

Comment

I just posted a similar thread.

B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Originally posted by 1stMaine
                        Comrade,
                        Good advice. My father ran an antiques business for more than 30 years. Heck, he still does some work with it from time to time. When we purchased antique bottles, or bottles of any kind that were without a label, we would soak them for a time in a solution of bleach and warm water, then rinse them well and run them through the dishwasher. It worked very well not only to sanitize the bottles, but to "refresh" them and make them much more presentable. I still do the same with any that I buy and plan to actually use.
                        respects,
                        I've purchased bottles that have had a dried residue of the contents inside. I pour a mixture of sand and hot water into the bottle, cork it, and shake like crazy. The sand/water mix removes the residue, and actually seems to polish the glass. I then follow up with Tim's method to sanitize the bottles.
                        Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Beware of the printed currency you may or may not use. There were many different issues and series of currency. Make sure that your currency matches the time period in which you plan to use it.

Bob Sullivan
                          Sullivan Press
                          Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
                          Elverson, PA

Comment

Working...
                          X