Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union officer's cap braiding

Greetings,

My question is about how common it was for union officers to have rank specific black braiding on their kepis and forage caps. Obviously there is the possibility of great variation here, considering officers purchased their own custom-made headgear, but was this a very common thing? It's not a feature I have seen in many period officers photos, but I know from experience that it's difficult to see black braiding on a dark blue kepi even in modern colour photos.

On a similar note, how common was it for union officers to have gold braiding instead of black? I have seen several surviving senior officer's caps with gold braiding, but no junior officer's caps with this feature. Was this more common for senior officers, or have I just seen too few to form a valid opinion on that matter?

Last question: What was the protocol for the number of rows of braiding? Most places offering reproductions use the standard of one row for 1st Lt., two for captain, three for major, etc. Was this the norm for union officers? I've seen two caps in museum collections that are ID'd to Lts that have two rows of black braiding instead of one. I'm not sure if this is an error in the ID, or a variation common during the war.

Any help would be appreicated. Thanks!
    Jared Morrison
    [email]bob@jaredmorrison.com[/email]

Re: Union officer's cap braiding

Perhaps these images will be of interest to you. The top one shows an officer (a 1st or 2nd Lieutenant), of Company D, 93rd New York Volunteer Infantry, with a braided cap.

The bottom image shows a 2nd Lieutenant, of Company G, 93rd NYVI, sporting a braided cap, private purchase sack coat, and high-topped "balmoral" shoes (not shown). The officer isn't wearing obvious rank insignia but his rank can be determined by the fact that the Captain and 1st Lieutenant are elsewhere in the photo.

Both images are extracted from the Brady Collection at the "American Memory" Library of Congress website: www.loc.gov

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Last edited by markj; 06-04-2007, 03:10 PM.
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

In the second picture did the hat have a stampeed string?

Thanks,
      Mark C. Foster

Comment

Hi,

I presume by "stampede string," you mean a chin strap. After enlarging the image, it appears he does not have a leather strap. However, the officer has apparently jury-rigged a thin "string" and has attached it to the side buttons. Also, of additional interest, is the fact that his cap brim does not have a glossy appearance; rather, it's "dull" and, for all I know, might even be covered with some kind of cloth. A common practice of the day was to line the undersides of straw hats, for example, with dark cloth to reduce glare. It's hard to tell from the photo, but the notion is worth considering....

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Comrades,

I would also point out the lovely private-purchase sack coat, sans rank, that the young officer is wearing. Even in this medium, the quality of the fabric is descernable vice that used for the enlisted man's coat.
          respects,
          Tim Kindred
          Medical Mess
          Solar Star Lodge #14
          Bath, Maine

Comment

Originally posted by markj
            The bottom image shows a 2nd Lieutenant, of Company G, 93rd NYVI, sporting a braided cap, private purchase sack coat, and high-topped "balmoral" shoes (not shown). The officer isn't wearing obvious rank insignia but his rank can be determined by the fact that the Captain and 1st Lieutenant are elsewhere in the photo.
            If he is indeed a 2nd Lieutenant, then he shouldn't have any braiding on his cap, according to the current reenactor standards. Which brings me back to my original question of regulations for the number of rows of braiding for each rank. 2nd Lt. isn't supposed to have any, with 1st Lt. having one row, etc. Is this accepted standard among reenactors accurate? Or could it be variable within certain regiments? If so, this might explain the ID's on the caps I've seen attributed to 1st Lt's that have two rows.

And thoughts?
            Jared Morrison
            [email]bob@jaredmorrison.com[/email]

Comment

Comrades,

Well, interestingly enough, the regulations are silent on the issue of braiding on Officer's kepis. The only reference in the uniform regulations for officer's caps is respecting the forage cap and may be found on pp467, para 1522, Revised regulations (1883) US Army...to wit:

" Commissioned officers may wear forage caps of the same pattern, with the distinctive ornament of the corps and regiment in front."

A review of the addendums and Acts of Congress also proved futile in regard to cap braiding for Federal officers. The only regulations pertaining to braid for an Officer is in regard to sleeve braid on the overcoat. I would suspect that any reference to "regulation number of braids" on a Federal officer's cap is speculation, unless someone posting here has information outside of the regulations.

respects,
              Tim Kindred
              Medical Mess
              Solar Star Lodge #14
              Bath, Maine

Comment

The only regulations that I can think of that deal with the issue of cap braiding are those for the undress caps of the officers of the United States Marine Corps. I do not have the regulations in front of me, but I know that the regulations speak of them. I believe this is the origin of the "Quatrefoil" that are still present on USMC officer dress covers to this day.
                Brian Koenig
                SGLHA
                Hedgesville Blues

Comment

More grist for the mill. These depict company-grade officers in two different artillery units. I have also thrown in an interesting portion of one image showing an officer wearing "stirrup" trousers. His shoes are kind of interesting too.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                  Last edited by markj; 06-04-2007, 03:10 PM.
                  Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Comrade Mark,

The stirrup pants would be very appropriate for an officer who was mounted. Most officers in an artillery battery would be mounted, regardless of whether it was foot or horse, so that style of pants would not be at all out of place. Pretty neat to see a close-up image though.
                    Respects,
                    Tim Kindred
                    Medical Mess
                    Solar Star Lodge #14
                    Bath, Maine

Comment

Working...
                    X