'Light' Infantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Light' Infantry

Okay, this may not be an issue of intensely burning import, but it's something I started wondering the first time I looked at a copy of Hardee's, and this weekend was the third time I've been asked about it and been unable to supply an answer. Hardee's manual is called a manual of Light Infantry Tactics. Okay. Got that. But for there to be light infantry, that seems to presuppose the existence of 'heavy' infantry. What exactly is the difference between light and heavy infantry, if there ever were units that were officially considered heavy infantry? I know the German Jaeger battalions were considered 'light' infantry, so were outfits like the regular Regiments of Foot considered 'heavies'? I can see the difference from that period of history, but there didn't seem to be that much difference between infantry outfits by the time of the Mexican War. I guess I'm asking, since there exists the term 'Light Infantry', were there also at some point 'heavy infantry', and what was the difference between them, and were the two different types still in existence by the time 'our' war occurred? Rather convoluted post...hope my meaning is clear. Just something I've wondered for a long time. Thanks for any insight.
    Micah Hawkins

Popskull Mess

Re: 'Light' Infantry

The short answer: Light Infantry were soldiers trained in the skirmish drill and the clearing of obstacles. While Heavy Infantry were grenadiers. Regular Infantry were line infantry. Since the manuals were copied from the french the destinction of those who are trained in skirmish drill were called light infantry.
    If memory serves a battalion of french infantry were according to the book made up of 8 companies of Line Infantry, 1 Company of Light Infantry, 1 Company of Grenadiers. Hope that helps a bit Micah.
    I am, etc.
    Thomas Gingras
    Awkward Squad Mess
    Columbia Rifles
    Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

I see. So...by the time of the WBTS, all the companies in a battalion were armed like Line outfits but also received skirmish training, which had been reserved for the Light outfits under the old Continental system, Grenadiers having gone the way of the dodo some time earlier. I recall, now that you mention the French system, how Napoleon's skirmishers were such a startling and bedeviling innovation in European warfare and caused such damage to the closely-packed conventional formations of infantry they attacked. I wonder when it became practice to instruct all infantrymen in skirmish drill in the American Army, rather than dividing them up the way they were under the old French system? Thanks for the reply, Thomas. It did clear things up greatly for me.
      Micah Hawkins

Popskull Mess

Comment

Certainly does. So. By the time of the WBTS, all companies in an infantry battalion were armed like Line infantry (Grenadiers having gone the way of the dodo some time earlier, if they ever did have a presence in American armies) but also received instruction in skirmish drill, which under the old Continental system had been reserved for the Light outfits. Makes me wonder when the American army moved away from the Continental system and began instructing all infantrymen in skirmish drill. Thanks for the reply.
        Last edited by KentuckyReb; 06-16-2004, 01:42 AM.
        Micah Hawkins

Popskull Mess

Comment

Micah,

Perhaps this will help. It is from William Gilham's Manual of Instruction... pages 27-30, which is what I have handy at the moment.

"The troops that compose the infantry are usually divided into heavy and light; these distinctions arise partly from their different destination on the field of battle. The former is known as the infantry of the line, the latter as light infantry and rifles.

The infantry of the line should be so disciplined so as to act as one mass, which knows no breaking; it should be prepared to deliver its fire in line, in the face of an opposing foe; to form in columns to attack with the bayonet; form into a square to resist the charge of of cavalry; or stand under the fire of artillery.

The duties of light trooops are to open an engagement, and to do their part during its continuance. They should cover the front and flanks of the infantry of the line, in the advance of the latter, driving the enemy out of all covers, etc., only retiring upon the main body when too strongly pressed to maintain their position/ Upon them usually devolve advance post, detachment, and advance and rear-guard service. Light troops form as other infantry when occasion requires, but the habitual order of battle is the dispersed order, in which each man is seperated some distance from his neighbor, and must depend in a great degree upon himself."

Eric
          Eric J. Mink
          Co. A, 4th Va Inf
          Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Micah,

In your post, you state, "By the time of the WBTS, all companies in an infantry battalion were armed like Line infantry." I think I know what you mean here but wanted to provide a little additional clarification.

In the early stages of the war, particularly when smoothbore muskets were still in the majority, a number of regiments equipped their flank companies with rifles to function as skirmish or light infantry companies.

For example, the 4th Alabama drew arms from the Mt. Vernon arsenal. The eight "battalion" or "line" companies were issued US M1842 smoothbores while the two flank companies were issued US M1841 "Mississippi" rifles.

I don't have my references handy for the order number, but General Lee issued orders making this practice SOP in the ANV.

On the Federal side, a similar practice was in place in the early days of the war. In fact, I'm aware of a few NY regiments who not only armed their flank companies differently, but uniformed them as zouaves. "Don Troiani's Regiments and Uniforms of the Civil War" has some excellent info on this.

I hope this helps.
            John Stillwagon

Comment

Hi,

During the first year of the war, some Indiana regiments attempted to create corps of "Sharpshooters," usually consisting of about 50 selected troops armed with Enfields. However, this practice doesn't seem to have lasted beyond the first summer of the war.

Beginning with the first arrivals of Enfields (apparently 2-banders) from Europe in late June 1861, Indiana regiments usually designated Companies A and B (flankers) to receive them. However, once large shipments of 3-band Enfields began arriving around late August/early September 1861, the usual practice, as explicated in the "Indiana State Armorer's Books" (issue and receipt logs) was to give such arms to Companies A, C, H & K (and sometimes B) and then try to ship additional stocks out to units after they had deployed to the field. The remaining companies got whatever else that was available.

This is what happened to the 32nd (German) Indiana, which got Enfields for Companies A, C, H, & K with the rest getting piece-of-trash "Greenwood" .69 rifled muskets. The 32nd was eventually directed in January 1862 by D. C. Buell to swap its Greenwoods with the 49th Ohio, which, in turn, gave the Germans their Enfields. Something tells me the Buckeyes were less than thrilled with their "trade...."

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

The following summarization is from Digest of General Orders and Letters from the Official Order and Letter Book of General T.J. Jackson 1861-1863 , which is found in the Papers of Jedediah Hotchkiss, Microfilm Reel 49, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.

No. 240. July 19th [1862] Pendleton sends a circular that Commanders of Regiments whose flank Companies are not armed with long range guns will report the fact to Head Quarters and make requisitions for them.

Alexander "Sandie" Pendelton was Jackson's A.A.G.

Unfortunately, Jackson's order book was captured with the Second Corps' train at Waynesboro in March 1865 and has never resurfaced. However, the previous winter Hotchkiss had summarized the book and his typed notes are part of his papers.

Eric
                Eric J. Mink
                Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Comrades,

The early-war period is very fascinating, and I never tire of studying how the country went about raising such huge armies.
                  Anyway, the 3rd Maine also was multi-armed for a time. It initially left the state and fought at Bull Run with M1816 muskets with the "Belgian" conversion. Shortly afterwards, at least two, and possibly four, of the flank companies were given Austrian .54 rifles. They maintained these until the early spring of 1862, when sufficient Springfield rifle-muskets were available for issue, either M1855 or M1861, the type is not specified. The Austrian rifles were then transferred to the 4th Maine, and enough other Austrian .54's found to equip that regiment with them. The 4th carried these, and rather liked them, through their term of service.
                  Respects,
                  Tim Kindred
                  Medical Mess
                  Solar Star Lodge #14
                  Bath, Maine

Comment

I don't...know how I ended up posting two replies in a row stating basically the same thing. Weird. So, from the (much appreciated) posts, it would appear that the American armies--at least some outfits--actually were trying to follow the Continental model in the earlier period of the War. Man, they were sure in love with ol' Napoleon, weren't they.
                    Micah Hawkins

Popskull Mess

Comment

Comrade Micah,

In fact, Hardee's manual was written for the intial purpose of training the new regiment of Voltiguers that was to be raised for the regular US Army. The Voltiguers would be a true "light infantry" regiment, armed with rifles, and would functiona s such on the battlefield, providing skirmish and screening forces to the main battle line. They would have had all new equipments and uniforms, and Hardee used those patterns as examples for his illustrations.
                      Couple this with the regiments of Dragoons and Mounted Rifles, and you have a very "European" styled army.
                      What transpired to throw all of this off kilter, of course, was the Civil War. Suddenly, we needed several armies RIGHT NOW! and so the fine tuning and tactical experimentation and evolutions were set aside to concentrate on the more important task of raising and training the volunteer army.
                      Americans took a lot from the french, from Bayonet drill to caliber of musket to design/style of clothing. However, we also gleened much from other countries during this period. Basically, we took what seemed to work and/or function the best, and incorporate it into out own system(s). Thus, the Dress Hat, copied from the Austrians, along with the pleated frock coat. French-style uniforms and weapons, and English organisation and linear formations. Actually, we dveloped the two rank formation during the rev-war, the British copied it then, and then we switched back to the three-rank for a time, finally settling on the two-rank system. But I digress....
                      Anyway, it's an interesting period to research. Almost a military/industrial rennaissance of the New World.
                      respects,
                      Tim Kindred
                      Medical Mess
                      Solar Star Lodge #14
                      Bath, Maine

Comment

'Voltiguers'. First time I've heard that term. Apparently--French?--which is yet another illustration of how the Americans were trying to conform our armies to the European model, hence the other European influences you mentioned. I still remember reading about that regiment of Lancers from Pennsylvania... Looks like I've got a new aspect of the WBTS to study, which is fine with me since the early-War period has always fascinated me. Thank you for the info about how Hardee's wasn't intended as the manual for the entire army, but for one specific element of it. That clarifies a lot.
                        Last edited by KentuckyReb; 06-16-2004, 08:38 PM.
                        Micah Hawkins

Popskull Mess

Comment

There is also the Chausser movement to consider as well. The Franco Algerian War and the Italaian War of Napoleon III had a great impact on military thinking just prior ro the war period.
                          I am, etc.
                          Thomas Gingras
                          Awkward Squad Mess
                          Columbia Rifles
                          Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

I wonder if some of these green fellows who invested in armor plate during the early period had it in mind to become cuirassiers? :D
                            Micah Hawkins

Popskull Mess

Comment

From Scott's 1830 "ABSTRACT OF INFANTRY TACTICS;..."

1573. BATTALIONS of infantry will be required to execute the light manouvers both in closed and extended order; for this purpose, and in order that any battalion, or company of a battalion, may act as light troops, colonels will cause their battalions to be principly instructed in the exercises and movements of light-infantry and riflemen.
                              1574. When the commander intends to manouver as light-infantry, he will cause the battalion to unfix bayonets, and command, 1. As light-infantry; 2. Shoulder --ARMS. (See No. 1585.)
                              1575. The men and officers are always to understand, when this order is given, that they are to manouver as light-infantry.
                              1576. The object of light-infantry and riflemen, whether in battalion or company, is to protect the advance or retreat, and to cover and assist the manouvers of large bodies; and these particular instructions are laid down to establish uniformity of movement, and to afford such details as will, under all circumstances, contribute to produce unity of action.
                              1577. The first principal essential to this object is, the utmost rapidity of movement consistant with order and regularity. When shifting from one position to another, the officers will always move in double quick time; and, when no particular time is specified, all light-infantry movements in close order, except formations from file, will be in quick time, (of one hundred and twenty paces per minute.) All formations from file, and from extended order, and all extensions, will be executed in double quick time, (of one hundred and sixty paces per minute.) A just descretion, however, is necessarily vested in every commanding officer on actual service; when the double quick must be sparingly used. In broken grounds, or when rapidly advancing to seize an advantageous point, or in cases of great danger in retreating or assembling, it may always be resorted to; but for common skirmishing, it is liable to exhaust the men. Whenever the company or battalion is to be put in motion in double quick time, or when double quick time is to be assumed on the march, the previous order to trail arms will be understood, and arms trailed accordingly.
                              1578. The organization and habitual formation of light-infantry and rifle companies will be, in all respects, the same as of companies of the line, substituting only two buglers, in lieu of a drummer and a fifer, to each.

I thought it interesting that Shoulder is on the left as line infantry and on the right as light and wonder if that was seen as a steadier position for the quicker (regular infantry typically marched 90 paces per minute) pace maintained.
                              John Duffer
                              Independence Mess
                              MOOCOWS
                              WIG
                              "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Working...
                              X