Source for 1842 information?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for 1842 information?

I'm looking to add an 1842 Sprinfield, how farby are the Armi-Sport models?
    Is there a good source of information on the 1842 on the net?

What would one need to do to bring the AS 1842 up to snuff?

Thanking you in advance,

Harvey Lane

Re: Source for 1842 information?

Originally posted by Cheyenne
    I'm looking to add an 1842 Sprinfield, how farby are the Armi-Sport models?
    Is there a good source of information on the 1842 on the net?

What would one need to do to bring the AS 1842 up to snuff?

Thanking you in advance,

Harvey Lane
    Hi Harvey,

Let me take a swing at your questions. Personally, apart from custom-made reproductions which can be very expensive, the Armi-sport M1842 is generally considered to be the most accurate reproduction long-arm "out-of-the box."

At the outset, just let me say that depending on your particular skills and abilities, you might be able to do some of this work yourself. You'll need to 1) remove the Italian markings, re-polish, 2) strip and re-stain the stock, and 3)add stockmakers marks and the arsenal cartouche. You may want to 4)replace the steel front-blade sight with one of brass. If you're like me and either don't have the time, tools or are all thumbs, I'd recommend you have it done by a professional.

Opinions vary within our community on the best source for "de-farbing services." Personally, I think the folks at Lodgewood do the best job. Easiest and cheapest is to buy it from them already "de-farbed". A quick check of their website indicates an M1842 de-farbed as above sells for $565.00. Alternatively, the charge for their services I described above are $30.00 to remove and polish the Italian markings, $25.00 to replace the front sight, and $75.00 to mark and refinish the stock. That's a total of $130.00 for the "full-meal deal."

Alternatively, if you buy your '42 from Lodgewood already "de-farbed" for $565.00, you save since this is only $70.00 over the price they charge for a new M1842 in the box at $495.00. Of course if you pick up a used M1842 re-pop rather cheaply, you might do better to send that one to them for de-farb. Do the math and figure out whats best for you. :wink_smil

Here's contact info on Lodgewood (an A-C approved vendor):

Hope that helps!

Cordially,

Comment

Harvey,

Keith is right. The Armi Sport out of the box is one of the best repops with the least work involved to get squared away. The finish is actually a walnut stain rather than that shiney lacquer you usually see on weapons not de-farbed. I buy direct from Taylors so I just had them drop ship the model 1842 to Zimmerman's and he did the cartouche, polished off the modern markings and touched up the site to brass. I cannot remember how much he charges. At the time , and this has been several years ago, he was charging just $25 plus shipping to your address. You can find him at www.edsmart.com/jz/ .

Good luck,

Mark Berrier
      North State Rifles
      combinations@northstate.net
      Mark Berrier

Comment

You should look for the article written on this topic by Rick Simmons in back issues of the Watchdog.
        Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
        – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Working...
        X