X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ear Protection

Gentlemen:

Need some insight on period ear protection. It appears that I suffered some hearing damage during the TAG event this year and while I can only blame myself I need some input as to a proper type of ear protection.

I realize that this has been discussed before on the AC but with the change in the site I thought it would be okay to get the input again.

And if I may take a moment to add my $.02, gents, wear ear protection. You might think it won't happen to you, but take it from me, it can and WILL happen.

Thanks for your imput!

Steve Johnston
    Craddock's Ramrods
    Los Viejos Muchachos

Re: Ear Protection

I have always promoted the use of ear and eye protection but there are some hard cores out their that think it would look too farby to use it. This way 30 years from now their grand kids can clime up on their knee and say (or shout), “Grandpa, tell us again how you lost your eye and hearing in the war”. I always use hearing and eye protection when shooting. You may never have an accident but it only needs to happen once.
    Terry

Comment

I always use hearing and eye protection when shooting.
      What kind of eye protection do you use while at reenactments Terry?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
      Cincinnati

Comment

Steve,
        I like to use some earplugs made by North Safety Products. They are called "Sonic 2" suppressors. They are flesh toned - depending, of course, on your skin color- so they aren't very noticeable, unlike those God awful neon orange abominations. They have an inner valve that is open normally, but closes when activated by a loud noise. That way, you can hear commands and normal conversation. The little valve can even be removed when the rubber outer cushion is worn out. Then you can order just the outer cushion from North and save some coin.
        I got my pair at Wal-Mart for about $7.00. They are pretty easy to find in gun shops and safety catalogs.
        I usually slip mine in just before we start firing and so far I don't know that anyone has even noticed I'm wearing them.
        Protect your hearing at all costs!
        I am,
        Tommy Rollings
        8th SCVI
        Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Everyone who's deaf, please raise your hand. 10% hearing loss in my right ear in my first three years of shooting. Percussion caps will damage your hearing faster than shooting modern rifles or handguns, because they're right there at your ear.

If you want good protection and an unobtrusive appearance, get some custom-made flesh colored silicon ear plugs. They go for $25-35, and you can usually find someone through your local gun shop or shooting range that will make them. A more cost-friendly alternative is swimmer's silicon ear plugs, available in a 4-pack from just about any drug store. They look like beeswax, and they will seal your ear quite well.

My audiologist recommended baffled earplugs for shooting. They're sort of christmas tree shaped earplugs made of soft rubber. They are very good at blocking sound. Where you've already suffered some hearing damage, you might just want to bite the bullet and get a pair. I've seen them in white, blue and red, but not fleshtone. Do what you have to do, it's hard to find new ears.
          Michael McComas
          drudge-errant

Comment

Originally posted by HOG-EYE MAN
            What kind of eye protection do you use while at reenactments Terry?
            I wear glasses. The glasses that I wear are realy more suited to the 1920's than the 1860's but I feel it's worth the little bit of farbyness for the larger lenzes and the protection they provide. They are the kind that have the rap-around the ear side pieces. They stay on, provide a reasonable amount of protection and look kinda-like they belong in the era.
            Terry

[b][Edit: Please sign your full name to every post. First names don't cut the mustard. Please get your signature file updated immediately - PC]
            Last edited by paulcalloway; 12-14-2003, 08:32 AM. Reason: Name Warning.

Comment

You know, you could just deal with the reduced hearing.
              Steve Shepherd
              Veritas numquam perit

Comment

You know, fellows, but this may be too simplistic, but how about cotton in your ear
                I am sure it is period, and it does help. Now don't shout at me, but I can't blame reenacting and musket fire on my impaired hearing. I blame other things, but not reenacting. Not wanting to make anyone angry, but try the cotton.
                Tom Yearby
                Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

The trouble with cotton is that it doesn’t always stay in, it has a tendency to fall out. Or if the piece is too small it can wind its way into the ear channel and then it is hard to get out. But using cotton is better than using nothing at all.
                  Terry

Comment

I wear glasses. The glasses that I wear are realy more suited to the 1920's than the 1860's
                    WHAT?!?! I know he did not say that?
                    [FONT=Arial Black]Mark Mason[/FONT]
                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Tarwater Mess[/FONT]
                    [FONT=Arial Narrow][I]G.H. Thomas Invincibles[/I][/FONT]

Comment

pards:
                      well hearing protection in my eyes is very important . I've seen what the lack of hearing protection can do to a man . my grandfather lost most of his hearing during the korean war conflict he says that they used to stuff ciggarette butts in they're ears to help but that didn't work . the way I see it is authenticity can go so far, if a reenactor is so authentic as to go to the extent of not taking his medicane and not wearing hearing protection he has serious problems and should be watched . in our battery everyone on our crew wears ear plugs, my dad get's them free from work. I actually use a pair made of foam , and you can get from every sutler .

as far as eye protection I don't use any.

Rob
                      Very Respectfully,
                      Robert Young

Comment

Steve,

I suffer from tinnitis and hear "ringing" in my ears all the time. Even as I type, inspite of the tv, furnace running, et c. I hear "the music"
                        Now, whenever I fall in and anticipate gunfire I put a cotton ball (large size) in each ear. This helps take the sting out of the muzzleblast and CAPS that exacerbate my tinnitis, and I can still hear the voice commands. I've never had a problem with them being too small and getting stuck down in the ear canal or falling out. My .02.
                        George Darrell

Comment

Farb talk

1920's eye wear, modern foam ear plugs...... Unbelievable! Is this still the Authentic-Campaigner? It's hard to tell after viewing this thread.

As far as I'm concerned, the farb posts should be deleted.

This discussion should focus on a period way to stay safe as some of you already stated.
                          Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 12-14-2003, 06:13 PM. Reason: fixing spelling mistake
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                          Cincinnati

Comment

Re: Farb talk

[QUOTE=HOG-EYE MAN]1920's eye ware, modern foam ear plugs...... Unbelievable! Is this still the Authentic-Campaigner? It's hard to tell after viewing this thread.

As far as I'm concerned, the farb posts should be deleted.

Sir,
                            As I am new to posting on this board, I will not get into an argument and say only perhaps you should read "THE CAMPAIGNER'S MANIFESTO" by Col. Nicky Hughes. Pay special attention to item #1.
                            With that being said, I will leave this discussion.
                            Yours,
                            Tommy Rollings
                            8th SCVI
                            Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Farb Talk

Ohh....... Thanks Pvt. Tommy
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                              Cincinnati

Comment

Working...