knapsacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knapsacks

I am looking to buy a knapsack and was wondering what sutlers anyone would reccomend. Thanks for the info.

Nick Schumann

Nick, when registering for this site, you agreed to sign your full name to all posts. This is a second warning. A third will lead to a suspension of your posting priviledges. Also, check the search function on the forum for an answer to your question prior to asking it here, please. - Mike Chapman, moderator.
    Last edited by ; 06-28-2004, 08:36 AM.

Re: knapsacks

I would recommend Missouri Boot and Shoe. Their knapsacks are the best in my opinion. They are completely handmade and are very authentic. I got my Isaac & Campbell from them and their others are good too.
    Lane Reeder
    Co. E, 3rd Arkansas Inf.
    Texas Brigade

"...they'll do to tie to!" A Texan talking about the 3rd when first assigned to Texas Brigade.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdARboy
      I would recommend Missouri Boot and Shoe. Their knapsacks are the best in my opinion. They are completely handmade and are very authentic. I got my Isaac & Campbell from them and their others are good too.
      Lane Reeder
      Co. E, 3rd Arkansas Inf.
      Texas Brigade

"...they'll do to tie to!" A Texan talking about the 3rd when first assigned to Texas Brigade.
      FYI MBS does not use the correct paint on their knapsacks or haversacks. Unless they have changed it, and i dont think they did, its wrong.
      They make some of the nicest packs, dont get me wrong, I even own one, but I have to repaint it to make it perfect :angry_smi

Comment

Originally posted by sivart
        FYI MBS does not use the correct paint on their knapsacks or haversacks. Unless they have changed it, and i dont think they did, its wrong.
        They make some of the nicest packs, dont get me wrong, I even own one, but I have to repaint it to make it perfect :angry_smi
        Travis,
        I didn't know that. Whats wrong with their paint and what do you repaint it with?

Lane Reeder
        Co.E, 3rd Arkansas Inf.
        Texas Brigade

"...they'll do to tie to!" Texan talking about the 3rd when it was first assigned to Texas Brigade.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdARboy
          Travis,
          I didn't know that. Whats wrong with their paint and what do you repaint it with?

Lane Reeder
          Co.E, 3rd Arkansas Inf.
          Texas Brigade

"...they'll do to tie to!" Texan talking about the 3rd when it was first assigned to Texas Brigade.
          They use latex in their paint. Latex was not around in the 1860! There is a website that has the correct formula, but i will just post it on here for all to see

Heres the website:

and the reciepe that you should use it this one:
          Period Recipe: This recipe is an approximation, since the original recipe specified "litharge," or lead monoxide (PbO) which is extremely poisonous. Bright Idea: Leave out the lampblack, and you have a recipe for a nice civilian waterproof cloth. I strongly recommend this recipe because it is about as authentic as you can get without putting life and limb in danger.
          Materials: · Boiled linseed oil · Mineral spirits paint thinner (or turpentine) · Lampblack (comes in tubes or dry powder) · Japan dryer · Corn starch
          Method: 1. Make a sizing by boiling about a quart of water and adding cornstarch mixed in cold water until the mixture becomes a little syrupy.
          2.Paint the cloth with the cornstarch sizing and let dry.
          3.Mix one part of boiled linseed oil with one part of mineral spirits. Add lamp black until the paint is a very opaque black. Add one oz. (2 tbsp) of Japan dryer per pint.
          4.With a brush, paint the cloth with the blackened linseed oil and let dry. This can take several days.
          5.Mix one part of boiled linseed oil with two parts of mineral spirits. Add one oz. of Japan dryer per pint.
          6.With a brush, paint the cloth with the clear linseed oil mixture and let it dry. This can also take several days. Two coats of this mixture should give the results you want. (You can omit the cornstarch sizing if you want, but the oil-based paint will pretty much soak the cloth.)

It takes about a week to repaint the whole knapsack peice be peice, and if you dont do it right you can really F**K it up, so take your time

*Make sure you stay away from Latex!

Comment

Working...
          X