AoT uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AoT uniforms

This question has probably been hashed over before but I couldn't find an appropriate topic using the seach function, so here goes. I need a good uniform for the upcoming Atlanta event in September and I was wondering what the best jacket and trousers would be and from which approved vendor I could get it first. I've been thinking of the Columbus Depot jacket from C.J. Daley. Is it authentic and well-made? What about trousers? Advice would be greatly obliged.

Pvt. Chris Anderson
    5th Geo. Infantry

Re: AoT uniforms

Mr. Anderson,
    The uniform will depend on the time, place, and unit your are planning to portray. Mr. Daley carries great items. I have purchased things from him in the past and was very satisfied.

If you are looking to create a late war AOT impression say Atlanta Campaign impression then a Columbus Depot jacket will certainly meet those needs. I suggest checking the guidelines and vendors page for the 10th Texas out. They are well researched and will put you on the right path.

http://members.aol.com/SMckay1234/Li...tory/compg.htm
    [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
    [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

From the research I've done the 5th Georgia at that time could very well have been issued Columbus Depot or Atlanta Depot jackets. I wouldn't mind an Atlanta Depot but the only one I've seen from a good vendor would be from Cantrell Uniforms and I don't have 10 weeks to wait for it. Thanks a lot, because I wasn't sure about if Mr. Daley was doing CS uniforms as well as his Union uniforms.

Pvt. Chris Anderson
      5th Geo. Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by GaReb
        I wasn't sure about if Mr. Daley was doing CS uniforms as well as his Union uniforms.

Pvt. Chris Anderson
        5th Geo. Infantry
        Heck yeah, man. Chris Daley makes ALL his stuff well. You cain't go wrong with the man. I just picked up a sorely needed pair of the drawers he recently had a sale on and they are superb. Not to mention his customer service is first rate.

Comment

Chris,

I strongly recommend you read Les Jensen's article, "A SURVEY OF
          CONFEDERATE CENTRAL GOVERNMENT QUARTERMASTER ISSUE JACKETS." Part III deals with Western Depots and I think you will find it extremely helpful.

That article can be found online at:

I'm not sure how you would differentiate between what depot was supplying an AoT unit at a given time. Here is what Mr. Jensen has to say on the subject.

"In the latter years of its operation, the Army of Tennessee was supplied by at least three depots on a normal basis, Atlanta, Columbus and Athens. All were general depots, under the exclusive control of the Quartermaster General. A commander who needed clothing could not requisition it directly from the nearest general depot. Instead, he had to address his requisition to the Quartermaster General in Richmond, who then decided which depot or depots would fill it.87 Often, as in the case of a requisition for 15,000 uniforms for General Johnston's army in Mississippi on 17 March 1863, the Quartermaster General would instruct two or more depots (in this case Atlanta and Columbus) to divide the requisition between them and thereby fill it.88 Thus, at any given time, the western armies could be simultaneously receiving the products of at least three depots. This highly complicates identification."

While Mr. Jensen's work has aged a bit, it is still the definitive work on the subject and has held up extremely well. Hopefully our generation of historians will add to Mr. Jensen's work and answer some of the questions he was unable to regarding Western Depots. With researchers and historians like Lee White, Neill Rose and others (just to name a few) I am confident that our knowledge of Confederate material culture will grow dramatically over the next 5-10 years as the new generation begins to publish their findings.
          Last edited by Yellowhammer; 07-02-2004, 11:58 AM.
          John Stillwagon

Comment

This highlights a problem I, and undoubtedly many others, have frequently encountered when doing Confederate uniform research; namely, maddeningly vague documentation.

In the case of the 32nd Tennessee documents I perused in the "CSR" (Compiled Service Records), about all I know is that "jeans jackets" were issued to troops beginning in early 1863. Absolutely nothing is mentioned regarding the depot from which they were issued or even if they were items furnished by soldiers aid organizations. "Grey caps" were also issued but, other than that, I encountered the usual "pants," "coats," "socks," shoes," "caps," etc. Even worse, "wool hats" are stated as having been handed out. One can easily develop two or three interpretations for that term alone....

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Working...
            X