Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to fold the overcoat for on top of the knapsack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fold the overcoat for on top of the knapsack?

Guys,

My new federal overcoat is in. I found directions online how to fold the overcoat properly so that it fits on top of the knapsack. However, the directions are slightly confusing, and considering I have never watched someone roll their coat, it always ends up as a really fat roll, that I know isn't correct. I was curious if anyone had pictures or step-by-step drawings that could help me.

Thank you
    Dane Utter
    Washington Guard

Re: How to fold the overcoat for on top of the knapsack?

Trying to explain to someone (usually young) how to tie their shoes for the first time is confusing too. You might need someone to show you the first couple of times before you pick it up.

Oh, and when they are done, if you ask nicely they might show you how to roll an overcoat too.
    Last edited by Jersey Devil; 12-13-2003, 04:07 PM. Reason: Name
    Bo Carlson

[i][b]At the dawn of the 21st century the human species does appear to be in a rapid state of de-evolution. The time for personal salvation is now, while the people terrorize each other like warring insects, all the while crying out for global change and healing. Can we as a species hope to achieve something as grandiose as constructing a Heaven on Earth, when our very souls are rotten and empty?[/b][/i]

Comment

Unless I'm mistaken, I think the Overcoat was supposed to be inside the knapsack not on top. And it makes sense for it to be that way. First, it's easier to fold it than roll it. Second, The blanket rolled on top makes it easier to get to when you stop for the night. The gum can also be wrapped around the blanket, but I always found it more practical to carry it between the 2 halves of the knapsack, where a pard could quickly pull it out if it starts to rain. ;)

Comment

Greetings,

Depending on the scenario, your overcoat question might be largely irrelevant. Troops going on campaign were frequently offered the option of taking their overcoats...or their blankets...or their gum blankets...but not all of them at the same time.

Another common habit, come spring, was to simply box up overcoats/personal effects for storage in designated warehouses or else ship them home until needed. The problem with that practice was that warehouses were known to catch fire, incinerating stored effects, or, alternatively, QM's displayed a nasty tendency to simply trash storage boxes for a variety of reasons known only to themselves.

I'm currently editing the letters of a man who served in Wilder's Lightning Brigade and he mentions sending his overcoat home pursuant to one spring campaign. In another letter, he flatly states he planned to carry all of his current personal possessions with him into the Atlanta Campaign since everything he had stored the previous year had been thrown out by the QM's. He opines, "If anybody is going to throw away my things, it will be ME."

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

dane, next time we do a picket post at old bethpage village restoration. rob weber or myself give you a hand. he uses it alot while i usually put the blanket on top of the knapsack rich pisarski 119ny
          ;) Rich Pisarski
          119th NY Vol.

Comment

Gents,

On a related note, here is an extract form the diary of Daniel W. Peppel, Company K, 104th OVI. The diary is in the collection of the Lisbon, Ohio, Historical Society:

Sunday, June 7th, 1863. Revillee 4 AM. Went on camp guard 8 AM Regimental inspection 10AM. Five days ration of crackers, sugar, coffee, and salt in the knapsacks three in haversacks blankets rolled inside the tent and strapped on the knapsack. Went on guard 6 PM.

This actually makes sense if the gum blanket/poncho is carried inside the knapsack. Not only would it be easier to get to, but, worn as a cape/cloak/hood, it would drape over the knapsack keeping the blanket and tent dry.
            James Brenner

Comment

Dane, this might be of some help to you.

Bob Clayton
              [url=http://www.sykesregulars.org]Co. C, 2nd U.S. Infantry, "Sykes Regulars"[/url]
              Honoring the proud history and traditions of the U.S. Army
              [url=http://home.comcast.net/~coffeeboiler/sykes_pics.htm]Photo Gallery[/url]

Comment

Bob, Thanks for that link.
                George Darrell

Comment

Working...
                X