This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Care for Bayonets

I am wondering how the soldiers both North and South cared for their bayonets. Did they let them rust to a certian extent, or did they clean them? I imagine in winter quarters, they would clean them, as well as dress parade, but while on campaign, when it rained, did they clean them, or were they ordered to clean them? I would greatly appreciate it if someone could enlight me on the matter.
    Your obediant servant,
    Andrew Zetts

Re: Care for Bayonets

Originally posted by wigwagger
    I am wondering how the soldiers both North and South cared for their bayonets. Did they let them rust to a certian extent, or did they clean them? I imagine in winter quarters, they would clean them, as well as dress parade, but while on campaign, when it rained, did they clean them, or were they ordered to clean them? I would greatly appreciate it if someone could enlight me on the matter.
    Your obediant servant,
    Andrew Zetts
    Yes.

Of course bayonets and all equipment was cared for on campaign and in garrison. Army rules and regulations did not suspend on campaign. Why do people think that once an army went on campaign that all the rules went out the window? That's when you need them the most!

There were reports for "Arms Blanc" or "White Arms" on the company level which were to report on status and condition of these items.
    Last edited by RyanBWeddle; 07-09-2004, 10:57 AM.
    Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
    – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Think about it a soldier in Iraq in 2004 is useless with a dirty, unservicaeble weapon as was a soldier on campaign in Tennessee or Virginia in 1864. If your weapon is dirty it will not function when you need it the most. The duty of a Non Comissioned Officer (Corporal, Sergeant) is to inspect their soldiers weapons to ensure they are prepared for combat. NCOs perform inspections of their soldiers equipment as a means of instilling and maintaining discipline within a unit. An infantryman could have used wood ash or fine sand while on campaign as a scouring agent. Simply wiping the bayonet down with a cloth and a small amount of oil would work.

V/R
      Mark Susnis
      Mark Susnis
      Msusnis@hotmail.com

Comment

Comrade,

There is a great account by Wilbur Fisk in his book "Hard Marching Every Day". He relates how he was straggling a mite, and figured he would rest up a bit and then catch up to his unit the next morning. There were a number of other stragglers with him. When he awoke, someone had helped themselves to his clean shiney well-maintained rifle, and left a rusty piece of junk in it's place. He was not amused.
        respects,
        Tim Kindred
        Medical Mess
        Solar Star Lodge #14
        Bath, Maine

Comment

To follow up on Ryan's comments, Robert Strong of the 105th Illinois, reported that his brigade was subjected to white glove inspections of arms on the march to the sea.

Yes, just because an army was on campaign doesn't mean the important rules went out the window. The tribulations of campaign necessitated the relaxation of certain rules, but proper maintenance of arms would not have been one of them.
          John Stillwagon

Comment

Re: Farbery and Farbism?

Hallo Kameraden!

In brief, although there are instances and episodes, at times, where ragged, worn, torn, and rusty may have briefly applied- it is not PEC or NUG.

I believe the larger part of this "concept" or "belief" arises from the traditions and post War "Lost Cause" romance of the rag-tag and in rags, and worn-out Southern soldier battling the Yankee hoardes- combined with the "reenactorism" that somehow dirty, torn, holed, ripped, begrimed, rusty, and worn out arms and gear is the readily identifiable mark of the "campaigner" and the "veteran reenactor."

I was once handed a "beat and rusty" Italian Enfield that would no longer cock. Upon taking apart the lock, I found that the lock internals had been fused together by rust. When I ask about this of the "F/M" owner, he said he had left it out between reenactments leaning against a tree in the rain so that it "would look authentic."

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Re: Farbery and Farbism?

Hallo Kameraden!

Thanks to all who salvaged this post.

But I am closing it as not appropriate for the AC Forum, as it is thinly veiled Farbery, if not border line Flame Bait...

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
              X