Peter Tait jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Tait jacket

Im getting a PT jacket made for my 62nd ALA uniform but what other battles besides the battles of Mobile could I use it for?

Pvt. Owen Pierce
    Mr. Pierce,

Welcome to the AC Forums. As a reminder from the rules you reviewed before you signed up, we do not allow unsigned or anonymous posts here. Please include your full name as part of every post.

A good way to do that is to update your signature line. In this way, every post you make will be automatically signed and in compliance with forum rules.

Thanks,

John Stillwagon
    Forum Moderator
    Last edited by 62nd ALA Pvt; 07-13-2004, 05:21 PM. Reason: Unsigned post

Re: Peter Tait jacket

For good information on documented Tait jackets, I recommend reviewing Leslie D. Jensen's, "A Survey of Confederate Central Government Quartermaster Issue Jackets." This is a must read for any Confederate reenactor/living historian.

Part III includes great information on the Tait jackets that will go a long way towards answering your question.
    John Stillwagon

Comment

I would echo that source -- very helpful on Confederate shell jackets of all types.

Question on the Peter Tait that was a little vague though: are there any preserved versions in existence manufactured with the blue collar but without shoulder straps (as opposed to the wearer having removed them himself -- a common pracice apparently)?
      Ian Macoy
      Blue Ridge, VA

Comment

Ian,

The Maryland Historical Society is home to the Wm. Harrison Jacket which is a jacket of the pattern that you are referring to. The jacket is currently locked away off site while the building goes through a remodel.

Best,
        Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
        PO BOX 4849
        Midlothian, VA 23112
        www.richmonddepot.com
        (804)305-2968

Comment

Working...
        X