Identifying a "real" bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying a "real" bayonet

How does one identify a true bayonet from a reproduction? I know the ones made in India are so marked, are the Italian ones similarly marked?

What do you look for to know if it is a reproduction, or a true, vintage piece?

What are the markings, or where can i find a source to identify a true US military triangular bayonet?

Yhanking you in advance,

Harvey Lane
    Pvt., Co. K, 6th Texas Infantry

Re: Identifying a "real" bayonet

Harvey,

I recommend "American Socket Bayonets and Scabbards" by Robert M. Reilly. This is one of, if not the, definitive source on the subject relating to American socket bayonets of the 18th and 19th centuries. Check it out at:

Telling a reproduction from an original generally isn't too difficult once you've looked at a few originals. Repros vary tremendously in fit of parts, length, weight and other dimensions. For example, many repro bayonets are too long and/or too thick to fit in scabbards made to period dimensions. The Italian bayonets are much better than the Indian/Pakistani examples in terms of quality of fit and dimensions but the steel they are made from is quite different and they will often pit badly rather than simply rust a little.

That's an incomplete description but the best I can do right now.
    John Stillwagon

Comment

Working...
    X