Gambling with Dice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gambling with Dice

Can anyone tell me about some dice games played by soldiers during the war? I have read that chuck-a-luck, faro and craps were played, but I was wondering if anyone can suggest books that mention gambling with dice. Bell Irving Wiley's The life of Johnny Reb has a whole chapter on gambling, but only a small paragraph on dice. I would like to read some more on the subject.

Andrew Zetts

Re: Gambling with Dice

Andrew,

Did you use the search feature before asking your question?

I remember this topic being discussed here before.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
    Cincinnati

Comment

Yes, this is a subject that's been repeatedly discussed.

By the same token, I own an interesting first edition of a book entitled "The Life of Mason [C.] Long, Converted Gambler" (Fort Wayne IN: self-published, 1882). M. C. Long was a veteran of Company K, 112th Illinois and apparently cobbled together a living by giving anti-gambling and temperance lectures around the Midwest in the 1870's and 1880's. Long has some interesting things to say about gambling activities in camp and even included his own diagram showing how chuck-a-luck was played. If you're interested, I can transcribe some relevant portions of his book and post them.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
      Last edited by markj; 07-19-2004, 11:59 AM.
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Mark,
        How's it going? I would be interested in some of those snippets. Also Could I get a copy of that diagram of chuck-a-luck? Thanks man! Also the previous thread had a link to John Wedeward's article with rule how to play the link for that article is: http://members.aol.com/wis33rd/33articles/games.html
        Last edited by fahtz; 07-19-2004, 12:52 PM.
        Mitchell L Critel
        Wide Awake Groupie
        Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Working...
        X