Canteen Cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canteen Cord

I know that the canteens made in the New York depot had a chain attatchment for the cork (and if I'm wrong about that please forgive me) but did they also come with attatchments made of jute or hemp?

I tried the 'Search' feature and found nothing on this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Zach Whitlow
    [B]Zachary Whitlow[/B]
    Liberty Rifles

[I]"Though I weigh only 120 pounds, when I'm mad I weigh a ton."[/I] - Thomas Starr King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Canteen Cord

Canteens from other depots did come with string cork attachments. See this page for a picture and a little explenation.

Angelfire on Lycos, established in 1995, is one of the leading personal publishing communities on the Web. Angelfire makes it easy for members to create their own blogs, web sites, get a web address (domain) and start publishing online.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Ah, exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks for the link!
      [B]Zachary Whitlow[/B]
      Liberty Rifles

[I]"Though I weigh only 120 pounds, when I'm mad I weigh a ton."[/I] - Thomas Starr King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I have been trying to recreate accurate looking canteen stopper string. What I have seen for sale at various places is far from correct. So far I am close but not quite there. Here is a picture of the real thing and what I am working at. I think the string needs to be a little thicker in diameter. Remember the string should be tightly wound. The color also has me wondering. All the original string I have observed is the brownish color. Was this the result of not bleaching it, has it has become dirty over the years or was it the natural color of the string?

Any comments?
        Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-23-2008, 07:27 PM.
        Jim Mayo

CW Show and Tell Site

Comment

Re: Canteen Cord-have you tried...?

Jim,
          Have you tried Wooded Hamlet Designs (woodedhamlet.com) of Pennsylvania?
          They have three-ply Belgian linen cord that I use, very close in thickness and color to the originals I have.
          Steve Sullivan
          46th Illinois
          Co. Mil. Hist.

Comment

Steve: I did not check there. Just went to their web site and saw the cord. Looks Ok. Will try to get them to send me a sample.

Thanks for the info.
            Jim Mayo

CW Show and Tell Site

Comment

For your edification and perusal. This canteen is in the collection of a private men's college near my home and is securely identified to a 1st Lieutenant who served in Company F, 49th USCI between April 1864 and July 1865 (he died in January 1869 of "galloping consumption," aged only 23).

Interestingly, there are no discernible contractor stamps on the neck (or anywhere else for that matter). It also has a jack chain, suggesting it was fabricated under contract with the NY QM Depot. The cover is in a remarkable state of preservation and the inside of the canteen is still shiny and in "just-issued" condition. The color of the cover is not "true" since I had to use a flash. The actual color is something approximating a dark "royal blue." Incidentally, one of the photos shows the canteen resting atop the lieutenant's issue blanket, which is also in a remarkable state of preservation (just some minor holing in a few spots). Indeed, it's in such good shape that I could--dare I say it--take it out to an event!

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
              Last edited by markj; 06-04-2007, 03:10 PM.
              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmayo
                I have been trying to recreate accurate looking canteen stopper string. What I have seen for sale at various places is far from correct. So far I am close but not quite there. Here is a picture of the real thing and what I am working at. I think the string needs to be a little thicker in diameter. Remember the string should be tightly wound. The color also has me wondering. All the original string I have observed is the brownish color. Was this the result of not bleaching it, has it has become dirty over the years or was it the natural color of the string?

Any comments?

Jim

If you totally strike out on your search, you may try making the cord yourself. The library has books on making cord and rope, even my old boyscout handbooks have a pretty good section on the process.
                Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Here is an example of a canteen which uses a smaller diameter cord for the stopper. Appears like there were various sizes used. All have the twist well defined and not much/no fraying.
                  Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-23-2008, 07:27 PM.
                  Jim Mayo

CW Show and Tell Site

Comment

Working...
                  X