Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eggs from home?

Hello, all.

Recently at an event, sitting around the fire for the obligatory pipe-smoking fat-chew & flatulence competition, my company commander mentioned how he'd like to do a 'package from home' thing at an event sometime soon, and the subject of food from home came up. Well, in the process of the discussion, he mentioned a practice he'd read about (someday I'd like to get a look at his original sources--they seem much more extensive than mine) where the folks at home were able to actually send eggs. He said they'd pack them in a sturdy little crock to avoid breakage there in the box, packed in lard, and the eggs would stay fresh. Apparently he doubted the utility of such a practice, until he went to the 'womenfolk' at the place where he worked. At the time he was the blacksmith at Conner Prairie, the 1840s village just north of Indy. The women there, apparently, told him that it does indeed work. One of them even demonstrated it for him, taking a few eggs and putting them in a small stone crock, then filling the remaining space with lard. After a period of some days she retrieved the eggs and they were fine.

After him telling me this, I remembered my Grandpa telling me that his grandmother stored her eggs like that whenever she had a surplus of them. He said that the spoilage of eggs is usually due to the porous nature of the shell, and that by 'sealing' up the eggs with a surrounding of lard, they keep much longer. Has anyone else ever run across reference to this practice with 'from home' boxes? We were thinking of using it whenever we got around to having a 'care package', 'mail call' type thing, but I just wondered if anyone else had encountered the practice before, and try to establish a provenance for it from more than one source. It makes sense, the more I think of it, and GG Grandma was definitely 'period' herself--Grandpa's Dad was born in '64.
    Last edited by KentuckyReb; 07-21-2004, 01:45 AM.
    Micah Hawkins

Popskull Mess

Re: Eggs from home?

While visiting Yorktown Victory Center, the attached crock was quite a conversation piece. It was explained that if the mucous is left on freshly laid eggs, they can be stored in a crock of sand and remain fresh for up to five months. The dried mucous provides the same waterproofing as the lard, and the eggs are easy to add and remove from sand when needed.

This storage method was used extensively as the weather turned colder. As the chicken's diet of bugs and green things became less plentiful, they laid fewer eggs. The need to store and ration them grew even though the temperature in the kitchen storage area remained warm.
    Last edited by KathyBradford; 07-21-2004, 11:08 AM.

Comment

I have the exact same 5 gallon crock in the picture. I live in my grandparents' old house and they always used it for a cane/umbrella stand. When I see my grandma Sunday (she lives with my parents now), I'll ask her about egg preservation on the farm.

-Dave Eggleston
      Attached Files
      Dave Eggleston

Comment

This is a very interesting thread. Preserving eggs in a manner other than pickling was something I hadn't considered before. Fascinating...

That said, given the condition many packages from home have been described as arriving in at camp, I'm not sure this method would be pratical. "Storage" and "shipment" are two different problems.
        John Stillwagon

Comment

Preserving eggs perfectly fresh for 12 months

American Farmer, Volume II, p. 267, 1820.

Manner of preserving eggs perfectly fresh for 12 months

Having provided small casks like oyster barrels, fill them with fresh laid eggs, then pour into each cask, the head of which is supposed to have been first taken out, as much cold thick lime water as will fill up all the void space between the eggs, and likewise completely cover,- them, the thicker the lime water is the better, provided it will fill up all the interstices and be liquid at the top of the cask, this done, lay on the head of the cask lightly. No farther care is necessary, than merely to prevent the lime from growing too hard, by adding occasionally a little common water on the surface, should it seem so disposed, and keeping the casks from heat and frost.

The eggs when taken out for use are to be washed from the adhering lime in a little cold water, when they will have both the appearance and qualities of fresh laid eggs, the lime preserving them from shrinking or putridity.

Another Method

The most simple and easy mode of preserving eggs is to rub the outside of the shell, as soon as gathered from the nest with a little butter or any other grease that is not foetid filling up the pores of the shell, the evaporation of the liquid part of the egg is prevented and either by that means or by excluding the external air, which Fourcroy supposes destroys the milkiness, which most people are fond of in new laid eggs, that milkiness will be preserved for months, as perfect as when the egg was taken from the nest.

---------------

For an iteresting read on a test using both modern and 19th Century methods on preserving eggs, click here:

Brian Hicks
          Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

My understanding is that you can also just dip eggs in wax and this will assist in their preservation. I don't immediately remember seeing any soldier letters mentioning receipt of eggs from home but "butter" is mentioned with some regularity. In one 1864 letter from a guy in Company A, 135th Indiana he mentions receiving a box containing a sealed jar of butter and noted it was still fresh after having traveled for some weeks through the mail. As memory serves, salt was used to help preserve butter for extended periods of time so this was pretty common practice.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Pards,
              This all makes perfect sense. I lived on an old farm as a kid, circa 1830's and there were all kinds of old clay jars laying around the place. A great deal of them had a very hardened crust of lard within. My grandmother told us that this was one of the ways that folks use to keep eggs over the winter. She went on to say that those clay jars, when wetted would keep things like butter cooled by evaporation. I really like the idea of the wooden cask and lime water, a most excellent way to keep eggs. I have read that soldiers often bought eggs from suttlers, but was always under the opinion that these were pickled eggs, but after reading this, I am of a different opinion completely. I never realized that this way of preservation could have been used to ship so delicate a cargo.
              Excellent post guys!
              Vince Jackson
              Straggler mess

Comment

One day while making live rounds for my colt, my father-in-law noticed my container of sodium silicate (water glass) and said that when he was a boy (late 20's early 30's), his mother used it to preserve eggs. He could not recall exactly how it was used though.
                Has anyone heard of this method?

Jay Johnson

Comment

Vince,

In your post, you say, "I lived on an old farm as a kid, circa 1830's..."

Was the farm circa 1830's or are you much older than you look? :wink_smil
                  John Stillwagon

Comment

I have an accout of a Union regiment receiving (among other items) a shipment of eggs (my impression was hard-boiled) from home while stationed at Memphis Tennessee in early 1863.

Regards, Bob
                    [B]Robert Braun[/B]

<< Il nous faus de l'audace, encore l'audace, toujours l'audace! >>

Comment

Greetings,

For whatever it's worth......

"Report of the Indiana Sanitary Commission Made to the Governor, January 2, 1865" (Indianapolis: W. R. Holloway, State Printer, 1865) reports the following:

Receipts of contributed eggs between 3 March - 31 December 1862: 1,276 dozen.

" ", 1 January - 31 December 1863: 2,416 dozen.

" ", 1 January - 31 December 1864: 811 dozen.

Dates and destinations of shipments including eggs:

13 March 1862, to Bowling Green KY: 60 dozen.

19 March 1862, to Nashville TN: 75 dozen.

7 April 1862, to Savannah TN: 80 dozen.

10 April 1862, to Louisville KY: 20 dozen.

10 April 1862, to New Albany IN: 25 dozen.

10 April 1862, to Winchester VA: 80 dozen.

14 May 1862, to Lexington KY: 80 dozen.

13 February 1863, to Memphis TN: 80 dozen.

2 March 1863, to Franklin TN: 31 dozen.

11 April 1863, to Memphis TN: 510 dozen.

15 May 1863, to Nashville TN: 370 dozen.

12 January 1864, to Nashville TN: 173 dozen.

10 May 1864, to Nashville TN: 25 dozen.

27 June 1864, to Chattanooga TN: 273 dozen.

15 July 1864, to Nashville TN: 281 dozen.

19 July 1864, to Louisville KY: 146 dozen.

15 November 1864, to Morganza Bend LA (69th Indiana), 1 box.

The number above does not include items shipped by private individuals, religious organizations, local soldier's aid societies, the Indiana Christian Commission, &c. &c. Nevertheless, the ISC report is as fascinating as it is useful: the variety and amount of items stated as having been shipped to the field is nothing short of astounding. To wit: nearly 30,000 "shirts" and 15,000 pairs of "drawers" of varying kinds were received and shipped between 1862-1864. The numbers of items provided by the Indiana Sanitary Commission alone show why the South didn't have a prayer....

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                      Last edited by markj; 07-21-2004, 07:25 PM.
                      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Originally posted by Yellowhammer
                        Vince,

In your post, you say, "I lived on an old farm as a kid, circa 1830's..."

Was the farm circa 1830's or are you much older than you look? :wink_smil
                        Well, I feel like I was born in the 1830's, but the farm was established then.
                        Vince Jackson
                        Straggler mess

Comment

I have been told by a lady who harvested (is that the right word for someone that gathers eggs from the hen house?) that once refrigerated, eggs must continue to be refrigerated to remain fresh. If not refrigerated i.e. fresh from the hen house, all of these sealing methods will work just fine.

My 1756 household hints book (The Servant's Directory) tells that eggs can be placed in sawdust and preserved for some weeks, provided that they be turned on a regular basis.
                          Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
                          Elverson, PA

Comment

Hardboiled don't keep.

The learning experience on this one was very unpleasant.

Thing is, to reproduce any of these storage methods (and they do work!), you have to start with "got it from the chicken" eggs... unwashed, unprocessed, un-agribusiness. You can't start with store eggs and have it work.

The other variation--I think it was is Mrs. Child's book on housekeeping, but I need to go look it up for the citation--listed mixing alum in with the lard before rubbing down the fresh raw eggs. Lard seals the eggs, preserving them; alum protects the lard from going rancid. Everyone is happy with Custard at Christmas.
                            Regards,
                            Elizabeth Clark

Comment

It's been my experience that eggs not refrigerated can keep for a week or so--my husband had a lady give him some eggs and forgot to bring them home for 5 or 6 days.

They were still fine, and went on to last in the frig for a couple weeks, too.

If you want to take an egg or two to an event. Get acquainted with someone who has chickens, or ask your regular egg person to not refrig them. Wrap a couple in paper or cloth, and put them inside your tin cup to keep them from breaking.

You raided the a hen house on the march, or else purchased the eggs, or else were given them by a kind farmwife (or farmer's daughter?) ;)

(BTW, maybe some of you know this, but to check to see if a raw egg is spoiled, fill a cup or deep enough bowl with water. Put eggs in one at a time. If they float, it's spoiled, if it lays on its side, or even stands upright but touches the bottom, it is fine.)
                              [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Joanna Norris Forbes[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X