Copperhead symbol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copperhead symbol

Just read the excellent thread on the Wide-Awakes. It got me to thinking, while we're on the subject of such societies/organizations, I was wondering if anyone has access to a photo/drawing/good description, etc. of one of those little cut-out pennies the Sons of Liberty/Copperheads supposedly wore on their person somewhere. (correct me please if I'm wrong about that) I'm just sitting here tonight going through some of my Grandpa's papers and stuff, and the Wide-Awake thread reminded me that he always said his Grandpa always 'wore his penny on his coat when he went to town' until it apparently almost started a fight! Coming up from Georgia like he did, and naming his son (my Great Grandfather) who was born in 1864 'George McClellan Hawkins', it kind of makes me wonder just what kind of hijinks the old boy got up to back then, now that I know more about the period. I wish I had more of his old stuff--most of it got lost over the years, or went at auction when Great-Grandpa and then Grandpa died. But anyhoo...anybody?
    Micah Hawkins

Popskull Mess

Re: Copperhead symbol

You can still find several war time Indian head cents with a small hole cut in them. A chum of mine was wearing one at the recent south union event.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
    X