• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British import Blucher

Were they used in the west any ?

Re: British import Blucher

Owen,

From the terminology that you have used you have found some reference to the Blucher shoe. That name has been used to describe a shoe of a similar form most know as a jefferson shoe/brogan. I am no expert in this field, but have done some research on shoe/boot making of the period.

English shoes were imported into the south by the thousands. And all across the south. I guess the answer to your question would be yes. But, how west were you talking? Footwear was produced by southern manufacturing for the government as well. Virginia, Atlanta, and I believe Houston were shoe manufacturing locations. I have recently found info that Andersonvilles Camp Sumter was intended to be used as a shoe manufacturing facility.

The one surviving english shoe in the NY Military History museum and printed in Davis's book, as well as EOG is a very well made shoe. Captured shoes were actually issued to Fed troops and recieved a positive review from a federal QM officer I believe.

I hope I have helped you, Ken

Ken Irvin
    The Skulkers Mess
    Ken Irvin

Comment

Owen,

Not to detract from Ken's answer, but you will get better results to your questions if you are a bit more specific.

For example, where is "the west?" Depending on your perspective, you could mean the Pacific Coast, the "old west," the western theater of the Civil War, the Department of the West, etc...

I hope that helps
      John Stillwagon

Comment

one of the difficulties is how do you tell it is imported? The english army at the time had individual regiments contract with local shoe makers to make the regiments shoes. Also much of the shoe trade of Boston and Philidelphia made footwear equal or better then english manufacture. Australian merchants prefered boston made riding boots to english depite crown imposed duties.
        The grave in Glorietta yielded up a pair of sewn welt brogans with brass eyelets that are some of the finest made shoes of the period I have seen but there is no way to tell where they came from. One of the more common details of english style brogans is the way the front edge of the rear quarters are cut, with a notch back instead of the angled return seen on all american made shoes. I have never seen this detail in a photo or original from the wbts. But we know perhaps millions of pairs were imported.
        Tom Mattimore

Comment

Originally posted by tmattimore
          The grave in Glorietta yielded up a pair of sewn welt brogans with brass eyelets that are some of the finest made shoes of the period I have seen but there is no way to tell where they came from. One of the more common details of english style brogans is the way the front edge of the rear quarters are cut, with a notch back instead of the angled return seen on all american made shoes. I have never seen this detail in a photo or original from the wbts. But we know perhaps millions of pairs were imported.
          Tom,

I remember that detail now. Peterkins article has a drawing of pattern pieces for a blucher shoe, and I believe that detail is illustrated. I would be interested in seeing the photos of the shoes excavated from Glorietta. Could you post them?

Ken Irvin
          The Skulkers Mess
          Ken Irvin

Comment

On the information superhighway I drive a 55 chevy so I have no means of posting them. Try a search for the Palace of the Governers State of New Mexico Museum. The honorable company of cordwainers ( thehcc.org ) sell two video tapes of papers the late Capt. Peterkin presented at annual meetings, on military footwear.
            Tom Mattimore

Comment

The army of the Tennessee

Comment

I vaguely remember Robert Land was experimenting with this type of English imported shoe for his customers about four years ago, and he may be able to provide you with some research and/or additional leads. Shoot him an email or give him a call.

In addition, if you don't mind being on the phone for a couple of hours, Butch Myers of Richmond can probably point you to a few sources, although he no longer makes footwear on a regular basis. Butch rarely answers email, so use the phone. He's a wealth of knowledge.

Charles Heath
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Working...
                X