Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on a "commutation" RD II

Greetings all:

I have in my possession a jacket sewn up by a friend of mine some years back. It's paterned after a RDII using a "salt and pepper jean" wool and fully lined in a blue check cotton. The question has to do with the eapulets. While they match in size, they do not quite match up in placement on the shoulders. Would this be the kind of glitch that would pass by an inspector, or would that garment be rejected? The other noticable difference is that the waist is a bit longer than in a "normal" RDII.I've already searched the thread on "shoddy" clothing, but haven't seen anything regarding this.

Thanks,
    Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
    Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
    Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
    Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
    Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Re: Question on a "commutation" RD II

Based on my observation of original jackets, I'd be more concerned about the checked lining. Plain white cotton OVERWHELMINGLY PREDOMINATES as the lining for CS enlisted men's jackets. I wouldn't sweat the slightly mismatched epaulets in the least, as original jackets display "mistakes" such as unevenly-spaced buttonholes and unequally-sized belt loops.
    Last edited by Masked Battery; 07-25-2004, 01:46 PM.
    [SIZE=1]Neal W. Sexton[/SIZE]

Comment

Re: Question on a "commutation" RD II

And to follow up Neal on what might be "rejected" and what might get through....

I know that there was an instance where NC soldiers were very much in need of shoes. I cannot remember whether it was D.H. Hill or somebody else who actually sent back defective shoes because they were of bad quality, but it was done. Just because it was an assumed needed item, rejection of badly made goods was very much an option and implemented by those who had to give their stamp of approval.

Mark Berrier
      North State Rifles
      combinations@northstate.net
      Mark Berrier

Comment

Badly made goods.

Mark-- You're just lucky that you didn't try to issue D.H. Hill's men your Authentic Campaigner T-shirts! :wink_smil
        [SIZE=1]Neal W. Sexton[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
        X