Ordnance manuals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordnance manuals.

Ok I'm sitting here reading some of the old info that I packed away a few years back, and several mention the 2nd and 3rd edition of the Ordnance Manual as a source. I have also seen many mention stuff from it's pages many times in the past. Where are they finding this stuff? I have never seen the US manual for sale. I know there is a copy of the CS version available, is there a copy of the US version as well?

Re: Ordnance manuals.

Comrade Clark,
    I have a copy of the 1862 edition reprinted by "Ordnance Park Corporation" back in the early 80's. They only printed 2000 copies, but it's a beautiful edition, right down to the hard covers and gold embossing. You can occasionally find them for sale on ebay.
    It's a VERY useful book to have, and it would be high on my list of books to be reprinted if any publisher were to ask me...:)
    Respects,
    Tim Kindred
    Medical Mess
    Solar Star Lodge #14
    Bath, Maine

Comment

Tim,
      You could be sitting a small gold mine so to speak. If I owned a copy of it I would definately be contacting Morningside, Stackpole or some other reenactor friendly publisher to see if they would consider making another run. I would say there are plenty that would be willing to pay $50-100 for a hard copy of it, even if it wasn't an exact reproduction. Have you tried Sullivan Press?

On a side note, is Charles Heath and Mike Murley still with the RPs?

Comment

Clark,

If you are going to pay that much for a repro you may want to add a little more and pick up an original. I paid $250 for an original copy earlier this year.

The only thing I did not like about the Ordnance Park copy is that he did not copy the title page right and you must get an original copy to use it in footnotes.

Merry Christmas
        :D
        David Jarnagin

Comment

There is a less expensive reprint available. I purchased a copy in blue cloth cover (similar to the reprint of the official regulations) from the book store at the Farnsworth House in Gettysburg about two years ago. I can't give you any specifics, as my copy is currently out on loan. I do remember that it was very reasonably priced (under $30) and that they had at least 4 others on the shelf when I purchased mine.

I should be getting mine back in a few days, so if nobody else can give more info I'll follow this posting up with the publisher's name.
          Mark A. Pflum
          Redleg and unemployed History Teacher
          Member:
          CMH
          AHA
          Phi Alpha Theta (MU XI Chapter)

Comment

Clark,

Greetings. I bought a papercovered copy of the 3rd Edition (1861) Ordnance Manual. I believe I bought it from Fall Creek Sutlery, though it doesn't show up in the Winter Flyer I just got from them. There is a reprinter's info in the front of it. It is:

INVICTUS
            (A Division of Johnson Graphics)
            PO BOX 317
            Decatur, MI 49045
            269-423-8782
            269-423-7413

I know the area code for that area to be accurate.

I think I paid between $20 and $25 for the book. As I said, it's paper covered. Would I carry it to an event? No, way wrong cover. Do I use it for research at home? Absolutely.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.

Will Eichler
            Botsford Mess
            Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
            Saginaw City Light Infantry
            Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
            Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
            http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
            www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Comment

Thanks guys. While I do think it would be nice to have a truly accurate reprint, in this instance it is not manditory. This is one of those manuals you would use just for your own study at home. Now a horrible copy of the drill manuals that an officer or senior NCO might want to have with him, is a crime if carried beyond the front door.

Comment

Working...
              X