Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '42 sling

Pards:

Got a question regarding musket slings. I'm wanting to pick one up for my Springfield. In looking around I find occasionally someone selling them a little longer/wider (sometimes both) 'to fit the 1842 Springfield'. Now, were the original '42 Springfields issued with a sling of different dimensions, or is this a reenactorism? As far as the canvas & leather sling vs. the leather ones--I'm a little lost there, too. In the absence of knowledge concerning which is more historically accurate, I'm leaning toward the leather ones strictly on aesthetic grounds--I just like 'em better, and I thought for galvanizing a leather sling would be more likely to be issued with a Federal private's weapon. But if someone has a reason why a mid-war Western Theater Confederate, carrying a weapon he was issued in early '62, would have one version or the other on his musket, I'm all ears.
    Micah Hawkins

Popskull Mess

Re: '42 sling

I am no expert but sometimes hang out with those who are :wink_smil - as far as Springfield slings go, according to the QM specs there is only one length for the 1842-63 model Springfield long arms. That means you have a little extra slack in the 1855-63 weapons. There are some makers who make different length Springfield slings - not sure why.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
    X