Defarbing pistols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defarbing pistols

Did a search with all the right words and never found a thread on the defarb process for Italian made pistols. Assume it is the old file and polish and reblue on "made in Italy" but what about stamps and such? Do any of the usual suspects defarb pistols?

Thanks
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Re: Defarbing pistols

Originally posted by DougCooper
    Did a search with all the right words and never found a thread on the defarb process for Italian made pistols. Assume it is the old file and polish and reblue on "made in Italy" but what about stamps and such? Do any of the usual suspects defarb pistols?

Thanks
    Doug,
    I have heard from many people (although I have personally contacted any of the "Defarbing" vendors) that none will do it. The basis is that Colt and Remington are still in business and do not permit the use of their corporate names, addresses, etc.
    I would be very curious to find first hand if anyone will actually properly restamp a Colt revolver.

Dave Myrick

Comment

John Zimmerman of Harper's Ferry will do defarb work on pistols and he does a first rate job. He removes all the modern marking, restamps the serial number in the correct location(s), adds the correct inspectors stamps, reblues the barrel (to the correct period color) and case hardens the frame. On reproduction Colts he can stamp the work "Colt" on the barrel but cannot stamp the entire Colt address like on the originals as that would constitute a trademark infringement. The name "Remington" is itself covered by trademark and he will not stamp it on a reproduction.

It's important to note that neither John or any other reputable gunsmith are manufacturing "fakes." Any gunsmith I know of who does defarb work is careful to include subtle differences in their work so it's apparent to anyone with a reasonable amount of knowledge that the gun is a reproduction (besides the differences in the reproduction guns themselves.)

I own several reproduction guns that John has worked on and am very pleased with his work. In addition to working on customer's own guns he stocks some of the more commonly requested firearms with the defarb work already done. His website is at: http://www.edsmart.com/jz/

Regards,

Mike Nugent

Comment

Are any of the Colt Colts still available? New generation?
        B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

I am pretty happy with the current line of Cimarron FA black powder revolvers.

They are made by Uberti for Cimarron (I'm told) and are excellent quality. Unlike some repros, these actual shoot and feel much like the originals. As applicable, they have non-trademarked period markings like patent dates in the correct locations and modern stampings are conveniently placed on the underside of the barrel under the loading lever.

They are also available in a variety of finishes including modern blue, charcoal blue, and "original" finish.

Here is a pic of one of their 1860 Army model's with the charcoal blue (please disregard the atrocious "Confederate" coat in the background.)

Check them out at: http://www.cimarron-firearms.com
          John Stillwagon

Comment

I would advise you to the fact that while Colt reproductions have all the right stampings (and modern ones under the barrel) you will pay about $200-300 more for the Colt name and stampings.
            Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Plus the latest generation of Colt's have the large "Sam Colt" signature in gold on the backstrap.
              John Stillwagon

Comment

Personally, the best way I have found to "de-farb" a revolver is to simply not carry one! The sabre is always loaded...

Jon O'Harra
                Jon O'Harra
                Heartless Bastards Mess

Comment

Some of us just might want a defarbed pistol for activities other than reenacting.

On another topic, I emailed Zimmerman numerous times regarding defarbing a pistol never received a reply.
                  Jim Kindred

Comment

Doug,

Curt posted this about a year ago on Bob Szabo's forum in the how-to section. It may be worth repeating at this time.

================================================== ==

6. "RE: Esoterica"

Hallo Kameraden!

IMHO, none of the Italian reproductions compare favorably with originals of any gun- and we brought this upon ourselves by accepting inferior items for decades. But that is for a political page...

The barrel on the Colt 1st and 2nd Model 1851's was stamped "ADDRESS SAML COLT NEW-YORK CITY" in one line.

The frame is stamped on the left side "COLT'S PATENT" in two lines.
                    The cylinder carries the roll-engraved naval battle, and "ENGAGED 16 MAY 1845" and "COLT'S PATENT No" with the serial number in one line.
                    The serial number is also stamped on a number of major parts.
                    On military examples, the inspector's cartouche is stamped on the walnut grips (not Rosewood or Italian "Select Hardwood").

The barrel on the Colt 3rd Model 1851's was stamped "ADDRESS SAML COLT NEW-YORK CITY" in one line. Some later 3rd Model's were stamped
                    "ADDRESS SAML COLT HARTFORD CT."

The frame is stamped on the left side "COLT'S PATENT U.S." in three lines.
                    The cylinder carries the roll-engraved naval battle, and "ENGAGED 16 MAY 1845" and "COLT'S PATENT No" with normally the last four digits of the serial number in one line.

The barrel on the Colt 4th Model 1851's was stamped "ADDRESS SAML COLT NEW-YORK CITY" in one line. Some later 3rd Model's were stamped "ADDRESS SAML COLT HARTFORD CT." or "ADDRESS COL. SAML COLT NEW-YORK U.S. AMERICA."

The frame is stamped on the left side "COLT'S PATENT U.S." in three lines for military and without the "U.S." in two lines for commercial.
                    The cylinder carries the roll-engraved naval battle, and "ENGAGED 16 MAY 1845" and "COLT'S PATENT No" with normally the last four digits of the serial number in one line.

Of all the M1851's made by Colt, some 215,000 or so, some half or more (125,000) were 4th Models (with another 38,000 some made in London) but only about 35,000 or so were purchased by the Navy (taking about 20,000 some) or Army before or during the War.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt"

================================================== ===

Great stuff! Thanks for reminding me to get that great M1841 information filed safely away, before it gets lost in cyberspace.

Charles Heath
                    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Re: Contacting John Zommerman

While John has a website he doesn't use email. I'd recommend writing or giving him a call at:

John G. Zimmerman
                      P.O. Box 1351
                      (1195 Washington Street)
                      Harpers Ferry, WV. 25425
                      304-535-2558

Regards,

Mike Nugent

Comment

At one time there was an email link on his page, I see that it has been removed.
                        Jim Kindred

Comment

Working...
                        X