Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Regimental Flags

Hey guys,
    How would I go about painting a regimental battle flag? What did our ancestors do to keep the paint from soaking through the cloth? Is there something that you put on before you paint? Were battle flags painted on both sides or just one? I used the search but to no avail. :confused_ Moderator, feel free to move if not in the right forum. Thanks ya'll!
    Josh Johnson
    Collateral descendant of:
    Sgt. Joseph Post Hollis
    6th Georgia Infantry Regiment
    Company "G" Butler Vanguards

Re: Painting Regimental Flags

Darn!

And I was just at an event this weekend when one of our unit members had had just completed our Battery's Regimental colors. I can't answer as to the exact type of paint he used but the colors themselves looked to be of silk or a very close fabric. I don't know if he treated the fabric prior to painting. I do know some folks use a large hoop like women use for embroidery and have to wonder if he used something similar to achieve the proper space and look for the lettering and such. I do KNOW he only painted one side of these colors.

My apologies for the information being so sparse from me. I did think of this when I saw your post today. I'm sure there are folks here who can help you further but just wanted to give you what little I know about the matter.

Can tell you that, properly done, nothing will make you prouder than to see your unit's colors flying proudly in the wind.

Originally posted by jphollis
    Hey guys,
    How would I go about painting a regimental battle flag? What did our ancestors do to keep the paint from soaking through the cloth? Is there something that you put on before you paint? Were battle flags painted on both sides or just one? I used the search but to no avail. :confused_ Moderator, feel free to move if not in the right forum. Thanks ya'll!

Comment

Josh
      I sent you a private message as per your question.
      B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Hi Josh,

I think you tried to contact me privately but my mailbox was unfortunately filled up. Please e-mail me at:

markj@purdue.edu

and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I take it this is a wool bunting flag?
          B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Working...
          X