This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rawhide sandles/moccasins

i was at a little reenactment recently and noticed that every confederate there were all wearing federal brogans so i pulled off mine and went barefoot but as we were marching through tall grass i kept stepping on thistles, netals and glass, i was wondering if anyone has any information on the practice of tieing pieces of rawhide to the bottom of your feet as an alternative to shoes, i have hear mention of putting straw on top of the rawhide and under the foot, and also that in winter time soldiers would wrap their feet in carpet scraps and jean wool then would tie the rawhide over this and wear it till it falls apart, does anyone know of this practice and what theater of the war was it predominant?

Re: rawhide sandles/moccasins

The ragged barefooted rebel is more and more we are discovering a myth. Yes shoes were in short supply and yes they did wear out on long campains.
    However, many commanders who excuse their men from battle if they didnt have shoes, (there is one story of a man who would throw away his shoes before a battle to excuse himself).
    If you want to go barefoot into battle, consider the following; Whats your current resupply situation? How long have ya'all been on the march? Why can't yall get another pair through sources such as depot, quartermaster, even from the battlefield?
    The use of rawhide covering on feet were used however it was discovered they wore out quickly and where not comfy at all. The use of green cowhide was used and just tied off. This was an emergency method until resupply could be used.
    Lastly you must consider is it scenerio specific that large numbers of men went into this battle wearing leather wrapped around their feet? If not, go with what was the norm....shoes.
    Dusty Lind
    Running Discharge Mess
    Texas Rifles
    BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

The next pair of shoes I am getting are civilian patern.

I was looking at these:

Any one have a pair?

Thanks,
      Mark C. Foster

Comment

I have never had the chance to see a pair by this maker so I can not personally speak for their quality. Though really snazzy (I like all things red) the thing that jumps out at me from this site is the lack of any documentation or compare with original footware. IMO you would be better off going with Bob Serio or another quality vendor. There are some really interesting civilian choes floating around that are every bit as stylish, not to mention have a war time provinence of some kind.
        Last edited by Justin Runyon; 08-17-2004, 12:07 PM.
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Looks like they have faded in the distance, their website does not work.
          Jim Kindred

Comment

Nicholas,

In your post you state, "i have hear mention of putting straw on top of the rawhide and under the foot, and also that in winter time soldiers would wrap their feet in carpet scraps and jean wool then would tie the rawhide over this and wear it till it falls apart..."

I have "heard" that Jamie Lee Curtis is a hermaphrodite but that doesn't make it true.

All jokes aside, here's some advice for you:
            -Save up some money and buy the best pair of shoes you can from an approved vendor.
            -Start going to authentic events. You can find them listed on the AC Forum.
            -Stop paying attention to what reenactors tell you and start doing some reading/research on your own.

If you do that, you will be way ahead of the game.
            John Stillwagon

Comment

Originally posted by The Pigman
              The next pair of shoes I am getting are civilian patern.

I was looking at these:

Any one have a pair?

Thanks,
              Mark C. Foster

The TL boots are being sold by a living history site in Illinois. If I remember correctly, they needed a source of footwear for their interpreters and came up with these. They probably sell these to the public to help offset the cost of having so many made.

I have seen these and while they don't look bad, they are made in Mexico and carry a modern makers mark inside. I also believe the soles are not leather and the laces are modern.

While these may fit the bill for a site that has a turnover in interpreters and needs something in a variety of sizes to outfit people, I do not think they are appropriate for those striving for authenticity. For not much more than what they want for their shoes you can have a good quality pair from one of the makers on the vendor list that will last you a long time.
              Michael Comer
              one of the moderator guys

Comment

Originally posted by PumpkinHeadFed
                I have never had the chance to see a pair by this maker so I can not personally speak for their quality. Though really snazzy (I like all things red) the thing that jumps out at me from this site is the lack of any documentation or compare with original footware. IMO you would be better off going with Rbt. Land or Bob Serio. Both make some really interesting civilian choes that are every bit as stylish, not to mention have a war time provinence of some kind.

Any one out there own anything by TL Boots?

Yes, I do. About Thomas Lincoln boots. You'll not find better straight-last footwear for the price. They are made well and hold up nicely. The shop is part of Lincoln Log Cabin Historic Site in Southern Illinois. It's a legitimate historic living history museum, and their shoe and boot person is a top notch footwear historian.

I own a pair of Thos. Lincoln's boots (#103, brown with red strip at the top). A few comments. The website advises that you order a size smaller than you'd normally wear because they're cut long (read the ordering directions very carefully). Also, they do not make them in wide widths, which is what I usually need. When mine arrived I had to take them to a boot repair place and have them stretched. They're made of soft leather so they stretched well. Now they fit ok, and I've worn them all day at events with no problem. They are excellent boots.

One tip with boots. If you want to wear them with your pants tucked in, first put on a pair of thin calf length socks and tuck your pants into the socks nice and smooth. Then slip on the boot. For me it works, but with a little manipulation at the right heel (my right foot is slightly larger). Like many shoes, once they begin to form to the foot and leg, they're great. The more you wear them, the better they get. The boots are made as per originals to fit snug around the leg (unlike cav boots) so you are limited as to the thickness of your trousers. I wear them with either Townsend's cotton broadfalls or buckskin pants of my own construction. As they wear and stretch I might wish to experiment with thicker wool pants.

One other thing; although Thos. Lincolns are made on a straight last, they are fitted with arch supports for comfort. Once you determine which is right and left, mark them on the inside. Then you won't have to feel for the arch each time.

Thos. Lincoln makes good boots and shoes. They're historically correct and handsome looking. If you want to experience the wearing of straight last shoes, they are a great choice.

Good luck
                HenryC
                Henry B. Crawford
                Curator of History
                Museum of Texas Tech University

Comment

One more thing. I do realize that Townsend's trousers aren't authentic,
                  but I use them for some local civilian events where stitch counting
                  isn't an issue. Also, I wear the Thomas Lincoln straight last boots for
                  pre-war scenarios (Texas Rev to 1850s), not during the Civil War. I
                  have period correct footwear for those events. Sorry for the confusion
                  if you thought I meant the boots were ok for military.

HenryC
                  Henry B. Crawford
                  Curator of History
                  Museum of Texas Tech University

Comment

I am locking this thread.

The original question was never substantiated with documentation and was largely unaddressed. The subsequent discussion about the shoe vendor seems to be speculative also, and does not pertain to the original question.

If information posted here is correct, the shoes have modern makers marks and are made of chrome-tanned leather. Pictures on the website show stitching in places I've never seen stitching on original shoes and no detail is given on construction of the shoes, or the originals from which they were patterned (if they are, indeed, patterned from originals).

I am dubious of this vendor and would not recommend them unless these questions could be answered in a satisfactory fashion.
                    Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 08-17-2004, 10:55 AM.
                    John Wickett
                    Former Carpetbagger
                    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
                    X