This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single pack knapsack, let me explain

Okay, I bought an authentic Single pack knapsack at an event for when I do reb, but I wanted to check to see if it was used by feds after mid 61, since not many CW events are held before that time. I'm sorry I did not put that in there, I was ready to go somewere and did not think out the post. Also the single pack I have has the X style in the back.

PS. This thread is NOT flame bait, it's a simple question, were single packs ever used by feds after mid 61? Thank you.
    Last edited by ; 08-17-2004, 07:45 PM.

Re: Single pack knapsack, let me explain

Sean,

Read the excellent research articles in Camp of Instruction sub-forum. Then do your own research on how prevalent the item was in use in 186x. Not only is this more fun, but you develop important research skills not being thought in school today.

Sincerely,
    Bill Backus

Comment

"...were single packs ever used by feds after mid 61? Thank you."

In the days and weeks of research that led up to the formulation of this question, how many instances of federals picking up confederate packs did you transcribe from period accounts, how many August-September 1862 newspaper sketches did you notice with crossed straps (and other indications of single bag packs), and how many period photographs have you observed that clearly indicate federals using this older issue item after the first year of the war. Not to mention the French knapsacks, I&C knapsacks in odd instances, and Short's patent products.

The answers are out there.

Charles Heath
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Sean

Are you refering to the "Mexican War" Knapasack, and the similar "Kibbler" knapsack? If so I imagine it is possible that some units may have had similar styles, however I feel there are more PEC choices available.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
        X