X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modern or period undergarments?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Been moved
    Last edited by modelf85; 08-19-2004, 09:25 PM.

Hampton Cokeley

Private for life

Unattached
    The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: modern or period undergarments?

Originally posted by modelf85
    I dont know if Im going about this right but, I am am somewhat new to the progressive movement and I was wondering what is the most common among progressive/hardcore reenactors, regular modern underwear or the period civil war underwear?

(P.S. strange question eh?)

Sorry if Im going about this wrong,
    The main premise of the c/p/h movement is to go as authentic as research will allow. If you choose,you can go without underwear at all,but the best decision comforwise would be to purchase some quality drawers. My personal preference are Chris Daley's french imported drawers.

P.S- Great to have another drummer on the forums!! :wink_smil
    Ian Broadhead
    Liberty Rifles
    " Lee's Miserables"

Comment

If you are trying to be authentic, you need to be authentic and boxer shorts or briefs are not authentic. Get yourself a pair of drawers. They are not that expensive or you can make them yourself. They are handy because they are functional as well as being more authentic than boxers. They give a layer of protection from wool and jean trousers, they can help keep critters such as ticks and chiggers off of you, they help insulate during colder weather and during the summer months you can strip off your trousers at night and sleep in your drawers which is much more comfortable and you'll look the part at the same time.

Great invention, drawers. Get yourself some and leave the Fruit of the Looms at home.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

It's not a strange question necessarily but the answer is that we all wear period-correct underwear. To be very honest, I'd feel like I was wearing a polyester overcoat if I was wearing anything short of correct underwear.

It's period-correct, it's comfortable and it puts those period-long shirt-tails to the use that they were intended.

You might say, "how do you know that you all wear period correct underwear"... probably because most dressing rooms are actually in the parking lot of a 7-11 or in some grass parking lot in the hills of Georgia. I've never seen any progressive guys stepping into their trowsers while sporting Bob the Builder boxers.
        Paul Calloway
        Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
        Proud Member of the GHTI
        Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
        Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Ok, thanks for the answer thats all I wanted to know And yes I have seen Cj daleys underdrawers and they look very comfortable.

P.S. drawers have been on my wantme list for about two years, there just always seems to be something else I want more, and now that I think about about it was a dumb question to ask in the authentic campaigner forums. ;)

Just wondering,

Hampton Cokeley

Private for life

Unattached

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

If you are trying to be authentic, you need to be authentic and boxer shorts or briefs are not authentic.
            :D Get authentic...

Seriously, I can't imagine wearing (or not wearing) anything else besides period-correct drawers (any kind.) The comfort level is pretty amazing...
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
            Cincinnati

Comment

Hallo Herr Hampton!

Welcome to the AC Forum!

Indeed. As a General Rule on the Historical Path and your personal Journey down it, for the Authentic Campaigner Wing of the CW Community looking to create or connect the dots between "modern" and "period" does not work.

Or, another way of looking at it. Civil War soldiers did not wear modern underwear.

A look at Paul Calloway's article on the concept of the F/M/C/P/H/A Paradigm, and also a look at the "Campaigner's Manifesto" may have some benefits for your Mental Picture and your Journey.

Not a criticism or "put down," but an understanding or grasp of those two concepts should be of value in using the AC Forum to be of help and support on your Journey and the Journeys of others.

Regards.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

The "cheap" but correct way to do it would be to not wear any. Period length shirt tails can work quite nicely to protect certain "items" from rubbing the wrong way. One way to look at it is when in doubt do without.

Sir, you are not an approved vendor. Therefore, you must remove the commercial link from your signature line. This is your first warning. John Wickett, Forum NCO
                Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 08-20-2004, 02:14 PM.
                Danny *PigPen* McCoslin
                Speight's 15th Tx Co A
                Texas Ground Hornets
                "Touch me and I'll Sting"

Comment

The "cheap" but correct way to do it would be to not wear any.
                  Have fun with all that.... I like Paul's remarks about this: "I'd feel like I was wearing a polyester overcoat if I was wearing anything short of correct underwear." Boy, you got that right Paul...

Period length shirt tails can work quite nicely to protect certain "items" from rubbing the wrong way.
                  "quite nicely?" Not with my experience.

One way to look at it is when in doubt do without.
                  In doubt of what?

Obviously both ways are documented, but I highly suggest wearing drawers to you newbie authentics out there. If you go without, you're really asking for a bad weekend. :confused_

talking from experience,
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                  Cincinnati

Comment

Hampton,

Heed the advice of our Hog-Eye.

Am now in the process of getting back in the hobby after an absence of a couple of years, couple of good pairs of drawers, the first thing on the list.

You don't want to get caught out doing the exciting things that good Union men enjoy (burning, punishing Democrats, burning) without them. Makes for a hard shanks mare. Would hate to see that happen to a Loyal Virginian. :wink_smil

Good luck to you,

John

John Sarver
                    Cincinnati
                    John Sarver

Comment

Originally posted by Agate
                      Hampton,

Heed the advice of our Hog-Eye.

Am now in the process of getting back in the hobby after an absence of a couple of years, couple of good pairs of drawers, the first thing on the list.

You don't want to get caught out doing the exciting things that good Union men enjoy (burning, punishing Democrats, burning) without them. Makes for a hard shanks mare. Would hate to see that happen to a Loyal Virginian. :wink_smil

Good luck to you,

John

John Sarver
                      Cincinnati

Im not really a total farb that was just one of my dumber questions. And I happen to like punishing democrats :wink_smil
                      Last edited by modelf85; 08-20-2004, 08:18 PM.

Hampton Cokeley

Private for life

Unattached

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hampton,

There have been sillier questions...it's OK.

Good to see a Loyal Union Man.

Good luck to you,

John

John Sarver
                        Cincinnati.
                        John Sarver

Comment

Originally posted by modelf85
                          Im not really a total farb that was just one of my dumber questions. And I happen to like punishing democrats :wink_smil
                          Take it from one who switched from Jockey to Daley within the past couple of seasons - The night-and-day difference isn't just in authenticity, it's also in the comfort level.
                          "the regulars always do well, and seldom get any credit, not belonging to any crowd of voters"

Darrell Cochran
                          Third U.S. Regular Infantry
                          http://buffsticks.us

Comment

Hello Hampton,

I strongly recommend the Chris daley drawers, they are extremely comfortable. I'm pretty sure he's having a special on them now, I think they're 10 bucks cheaper than usual. Definately worth every penny.

Regards,
                            Court Micker

Comment

Ok I would love to get a pair of period undergarments, but I happen to be a bigger guy with a 52" waist. All the drawers I have seen stop at size 48"... Any suggestions?

L. Alexander Tamasi

Comment

Working...
                              X