Interesting Snake buckle belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Snake buckle belt

Was at the Richmond show yesterday and one of the dealers had this belt on display. Thought I would share it with the forum. This makes the second snake belt I have seen since I started looking with all iron or partial iron hardware as this one exhibits. A little checking uncovered that small snakes with some pieces of iron belt hardware have been dug. Most folks are under the impression that snake buckles and hardware were all brass. Anyway here it is. What do you think?
    Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-23-2008, 07:28 PM.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Re: Interesting Snake buckle belt

Jim,
    Thanks for posting those pictures. What a great looking piece. I especially like the ticking used for the belt. I enjoy seeing unusual pieces like this. Iron loops like this had are from what I've seen definate CS manufacture.That must have had a heafty price tag
    John Greenfield

GawdAwful Mess [url]www.gawdawfulmess.com[/url]

Comment

Is the strapping made of tow or jute?
      B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Originally posted by Vuhginyuh
        Is the strapping made of tow or jute?
        Hey Jim,

Wish we could have caught up with you! Brad Malone and I attended the show along with visiting the MOC Friday for a viewing of collection's articles. I thought the show was excellent and we got a number of photographs of CS leather goods ie. belts, cartridge boxes, canteen slings, etc. I can't tell you the amount of CS hardware we were able to purchase for use also! I saw this belt too and thought it to be quite fascinating given my interest in English goods recently. I believed the fabric to be cotton. I have seen several snake buckles (dug) in various configurations that had iron rings, loops, etc.
        You are correct that they weren't all brass. While that's true, the majority of remaining belts that are of identifiable English (I&C marked) manufacture, that I've seen, are of brass. I'd love to know the full story on the iron mounted articles as it shows you the amount of variation in about everything
        Confederate!

Regards,

Neill Rose
        PLHA
        Love & Wienges

Comment

Garrison,

I saw that belt as well and agree with Neill that it was cotton.
          John Stillwagon

Comment

Re: Snakes galore!

In the same vein as snake buckles, an FYI photo. The attached is from a very old Masonic apron. It is brass and by the textiles it probably pre-dates the Civil War. It is the smallest snake buckle I have seen. Many, many of the larger snake buckles appear on WWI Canadian/Brit belts.
            Steve Sullivan
            46th Illinois
            Co. Mil. Hist.
            Attached Files

Comment

Cotton works for me, I was just curious because of England's holdings in India and Asia, the historic jute producing area.

Tens of thousands of yards of a similar strapping was used in England for numerous decades as upholstery strapping. It was the same color, with the stripes, and had the same weave, weight and texture this example appears to have.

Neuman's text on 18th century white arms displays a few original jute baldric straps and bayonet carriages.
              B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Another small snake. This was found at the site of the St, Johns Lodge burying ground ,closed ca 1850, Wilmington NC.

The previous post helps confirm my thoughts that these tiny period examples were fraternal or from parlor arms.

The thumbnail is a clearer image.
                Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 01-20-2008, 02:42 PM.
                B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

All,

I've found that just because a snake buckle is present doesn't necessarily mean the finished product itself is of English origin. I was talking with Malcolm Addoms today and he relayed a story about an early US/Mass. (no not the 44th) camp near Falmouth that turned up literally hundreds of these small snake buckles with light iron loops. As he described it, probably a unit that had these on some sort of cotton belting for militia use and then discarded them for a uniform issue of government belts. Interestingly enough, all the buckles were found in about three seperate pits. I love these little things and have found the brass examples on CW era belts usually ranging from 1 3/8 to 1 7/8. Thanks to Jim and everyone for the pics!

Neill Rose
                  PLHA
                  Love & Wienges

Comment

They still sell the little ones in England for Masonic use.
                    Rick Bailey
                    Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

What is the significance of the snake anyway?
                      Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 08-24-2004, 05:18 PM.
                      B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

What is the significance of the snake?
                        B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Working...
                        X