Vendors and the AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vendors and the AC

I asked this in an earlier thread and got no response, so I'll try it again here, especially in light of a couple locked threads.

This is a question for the moderators regarding the mention of vendor/sutler names on this forum. Is it necessary to first check this forum's list of approved vendors before mentioning said vendor's name in a thread? Reason being, I know of at least one on the list that offers a mainstream line of products as well as an authentic line. Also, one of the monitors of this forum has harshly denounced the products of a different approved vendor for that vendor's main product line.

To those who would freak out by the mention of a source for one particular item from a vendor off the "usual list," can we really deny that otherwise mainstream vendors anywhere will have the occasional good product? It must be remembered that quite a few of these vendors/sutlers have a very wide variety of sources for their products, and some are actually cranking out correct reproductions. It's happened many times before, and I bet will continue to happen, like it or not.
    Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Re: Vendors and the AC

I may be wrong, but whenever I see an item that looks good from a mainstream sutler, I almost always see the exact same thing in a higher quality from either the approved vendors or other high quality vendors. I figure I might as well go all the way instead of buying an "ok" item from an iffy vendor. Occasionly I guess a usually poor vendor will release a unique item, but I havnt seen it very often. I am sort of repeating what others have said in earlier posts.

Comment

The thing to keep in mind here is that our list of Approved Vendors are actively supporting the AC site.... financially. It's that list of 26-odd vendors who are keeping all of us from having to pay monthly subscription fees here.

So, whenever possible we promote them. We avoid references to non-approved vendors since they are in direct competition with said list and not paying their fair share for advertising. Furthermore, we also avoid non-approved vendors of a more mainstream nature - not only because they don't support the AC but also because most of their products are sub-standard.

Sure there are mainstream sutlers that sell a few decent items, but we need to be careful in recommending (not only because they aren't supporting the AC) as some of our members might take that as carte blanche to buy any and all of their uniform and equipment needs from that mainstream vendor.

We are actively expanding our AC Approved Vendors list to be all-encompassing - we urge you to utilize this list because they are the ones supporting this site, and for that matter, supporting you.

Support those that support you.
      Paul Calloway
      Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
      Proud Member of the GHTI
      Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
      Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

I learned tonight Kathy Bradford was made an AC Approved Vendor. Kathy was the one who sent me that great sleeping cap for my contribution when the AC site went down. She not only sent me the cap but other items like great looking poke bags with hemp cord in them and a 'Marbalized' Journal all hand done and hand stitched. I have bought more from her and should get the package this week. I am referring her to all my pards here in Delaware for great small items like I mentioned plus housewives, towels, and other neat little things she makes. Sooo, Kathy, I wish you luck here as a vendor, your a real nice lady and a pleasure to deal with and, you live in Delaware...
        John Barr
        2nd Delaware

Comment

Well, I have a question to add to this thread, what about Childs and the Richmond Depot? They have some of the best uniforms out there, but I don't see them on the approved vendors list? Also Jarnagin does have items such as the only authentic rubber blanket out there and a large ammount of authentic leather traps copied off real items that they own and that nobody else is selling too. Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by hardtack1864
            Well, I have a question to add to this thread, what about Childs and the Richmond Depot? They have some of the best uniforms out there, but I don't see them on the approved vendors list? Also Jarnagin does have items such as the only authentic rubber blanket out there and a large ammount of authentic leather traps copied off real items that they own and that nobody else is selling too. Just my two cents.
            Mr. Childs does sell outstanding materials - there is no question. But, he doesn't support the AC, when others are. We're encouraging you to use that vendors that do support the AC.

Mr. Childs has an open invitation to use the AC at his leisure and could become an Approved Vendor immediately - he only needs to ask. Until he does ask however, and does subscribe to our service, I'm going to use this platform to promote others who are already supporting the AC.
            Paul Calloway
            Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
            Proud Member of the GHTI
            Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
            Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Thank you for kind wishes, John,

It's a privilege to contribute, albeit in a small way. It's encouraging that through the combined efforts of all of us a difference may be made.

Dusty’s words, “The bulldozers moved in today to start the new housing development” sent chills up my spine. Those words are too often repeated, and there are many others here who feel the same way. Preservation Parcels is an effort to do something tangible. Please look for an announcement later today, and thank you again for your contribution here.

Comment

I know in my unit we have a team of people who work constantly throughout the year to update and revise the vendor list. They make blind purchases to test out the average product and service a vendor sells, and spend time in museums and private collections to compare those purchases to originals. As business grow and add product to their offerings this team adds those vendors and specifically mentions which items are suitable and which are not. As business decline in quality or customer service, this same team deletes their names. I do not envy this team’s job as they work hard, get lots of criticism and ultimately have a thankless job. No one wants to be the bad guy and say product “X” from your line is great, but product “Y” sucks. I think giving blanket endorsements is short sighted. Not every car GM sells is a Cadillac, but that doesn’t mean the other cars aren’t reliable and fuel efficient, so where do you draw the line.

The big thing I object to (and I know Skillet Licker does as well) is the endorsement without reason. You can’t just say “Bob makes the best widget, buy from him”. Let’s give reasons why. The good craftsman in this hobby spend more time in product development than anyone I know. To find and examine an original item, take detailed notes and photos, draft patterns, have cloth custom woven, reproduce the assembly process, get hardware made up and finally market the item to the hobby can take years and years from start to finish. The craftsmen are proud of their research and love to share it, call us and you’ll find out.

I had a customer on the phone the other day tell me this story:

He wanted a new hat and his friend said: “Buy from Tim Bender, he’s the best”, this customer wanted to make sure Tim was the best so he started calling other hatters in the business. One of the numbers he dialed a business called TP&H Trading. After talking to the folks at TP&H he was satisfied with their answers, their service and their knowledge of hat making, hat making materials and period styles. This gentleman then bought a hat from TP&H based on that phone call (and looking at images on TP&H’s website). When he saw his buddy at an event, his friend informed him that TP&H was Bender, but the point is, he didn’t take his friends word for it, he used critical thinking, took some time out of his day to research the topic and made an informed decision. He eventually bought a Bender, but how he got their was a road all the hobby members should follow.
                [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                X