Canteen cover attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canteen cover attachment

I swear I did a search first, on the internet in general, and on this site, and I didn't find what I'm looking for. I am trying to attach a jean cover to a Federal smoothside canteen, and am having trouble around the sling loops. Since the jean provided was just square scraps, I had to cut it out myself. I got the size right, I'm just wondering if there's supposed to be a cutout or something around the loops or retainers, whatever they're called. I've looked at plenty of pics of originals, and can tell how they're sewn, I just would appreciate knowing how they're cut.

Thanks for any help.
    Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Re: Canteen cover attachment

Originally posted by tmdreb
    I swear I did a search first, on the internet in general, and on this site, and I didn't find what I'm looking for. I am trying to attach a jean cover to a Federal smoothside canteen, and am having trouble around the sling loops. Since the jean provided was just square scraps, I had to cut it out myself. I got the size right, I'm just wondering if there's supposed to be a cutout or something around the loops or retainers, whatever they're called. I've looked at plenty of pics of originals, and can tell how they're sewn, I just would appreciate knowing how they're cut.

Thanks for any help.
    Phil,
    Sent you a PM about some info I have that may be of help.

Rich Croxton
    Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

I've not had a chance to study any original close up, but what worked for me was a pair of small horizontal slits, parallel to the top and bottom of the retainer but not the same width as the retainer, a little narrower, then one vertical slit -- produces two east-west flaps and two north-south edges with enough material to be turned under. Looked like the letter H sideways. Some very careful work pushing the excess material back under itself, then sewing through it to make almost a reinforced edge up tight against and around the strap retainers, then followed -- all four edges around the retainer strap have rolled-under edge and are sewn, with some extra sewing attention to the four corners. My concern was that the added stress on the material, from both the metal and from the strap, at that point would cause it to wear and fail. The care paid off. The bottom edge of the canteen cover is wearing through just from rubbing against the world, but the part around the strap retainers is still quite strong.
      It sounds trickier than it was. Didn't take long at all.
      Bill Watson
      Stroudsburg

Comment

Does this help? Material folded under. Does not appear to be sewn.
        Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-23-2008, 07:28 PM.
        Jim Mayo
        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

I sew to the loop position, and then simply make two small slits, and fold/tuck the "seam allowance" at that point under, and procede sewing on the other side of the loop, etc.

I have not yet seen an original with a cover with "added attention" to the loop areas.

I would point to the discussion we sometimes have on the difference between a Civil War solider and we moderns...
          And that being, the CW solider had the luxury of knowing, usually anticipating, as well as receiving clothing and gear at "regularly scheduled intervals" (theory versus practice exceptions noted).
          "We," as moderns have to secure our kit out of our own pockets and many would tend to prefer for it to last a longer time than that of a CW soldier could expect in terms of use 24/7/52 and resupply cycles.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I quite agree. The fact that the rest of the cover is disintegrating is proof to me that the care I bestowed on the belt retainer areas was irrelevant in the canteen cover's world view. :-)
            Bill Watson
            Stroudsburg

Comment

Working...
            X