Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• correct sugar

Kameraden!
    what kind of sugar did they use in the CW?
    Was it brown or white? Made from sugar beet or sugar cane?
    Does anybody know?
    Regards
    Jan H. Berger
    Jan H.Berger
    Hornist

German Mess
    http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Re: correct sugar

This may not answer your question entirely but its a start.

Matt Crouch
    (up way too early feeding the baby mess)
    [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode][SIZE=4]Matt Crouch[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Blue][I]All of the top achievers I know are life-long learners... Looking for new skills, insights, and ideas. If they're not learning, they're not growing... not moving toward excellence. [/I][/COLOR] [B]Denis Waitley [/B]

Comment

Originally posted by J.H.Berger
      Kameraden!
      what kind of sugar did they use in the CW?
      Was it brown or white? Made from sugar beet or sugar cane?
      Does anybody know?
      Regards
      Jan H. Berger
      I have done extensive research on 19th century forms of sugar and part of that research was published by _Food History News_ . The article was a three part series with the general history of sugar, the refining process, how to make a sugar cone, and an extensive glossary on all the types of sugar and sweetening sources.

Both brown and white sugar existed, with the white being the most refined and therefore the most expensive. Both were listed as being sold in the store transcription _Historic Accounts_

During the CW the sugar in the US was cane sugar, whether white or brown. Beet sugar had been made in Europe since 1747 and in 1806 the French prefected the process. Experimentation with beet sugar began in the US in the late 1860s in IL.

I expect that brown sugar would have been the most prevalent for use by the army. It was shipped in barrels, broken apart into chunks and distributed.
      Brown sugar did not come in loaf shape except in 56 pounds loaves called "bastards." I have not found any documentation that the little loaves of brown sugar found in ethinc markets is period. In Mexico they made maize or cornstalk sugar which resulted in a dark brown sugar and the production was tried in the US but could not compete with the cane sugar production. The brown loaves in stores today are made from cane sugar, not cornstalk sugar.

In looking through the ORs, brown sugar (10 hits)was listed in ration lists much more than white sugar (3) was listed. There were no hits for loaf sugar but there were 1212 hits on the term "sugar."

Your best bet for sugar in the CW would be to obtain dark brown Muscovado sugar in some speciality markets and let it harden, then break it into chunks. Lighter brown sugar may also be used the same way. The sugar will get hard when left in the air and may be crushed with the but of a musket or a rock.
      Virginia Mescher
      vmescher@vt.edu
      http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

In the Regimental History of the 6th NH Vol Inf, there is mention that while the men were encamped in Keene, NH (Oct - Dec 1861) they were upset that there was not enough white sugar for their coffee. However no mention is made of whether they used brown sugar in it's place or did without any sugar. That is the only mention of any particular sugar in the Regimental History. Doesn't help too much, but thought I would throw it in there.
        Mark Boynton
        6th NHVI Co E

In memory of Louis Hooper killed May 12, 1864 Spotsylvania

Comment

Federal Subsistence Department Form 15, Requisition for Subsistence Stores, lists both brown and white sugar as options which can be requisitioned. I would imagine that if you requisitioned white sugar and all they had in the depot was brown, that's what you'd get.

Ron Myzie

Comment

I had been looking for the same info a few years ago. What I found was that they had the use of both sugars. I had bought a sugar cone mold and it was dated approx. 1852.... The info I got started in the Rev war up to the civil war era. In fact some ways to make sugar cones call for both white and brown sugars mixed together. It is hard to say weather the troops were issued mostly white of brown. In my opinion I would say it is whatever they were able to get for the men. I hope that helped and if you would like a pic of the mold that I have and a pic of the cones I make let me know. You can still buy the molds without any problems.

Your Servant,
            K.J. Reihl
            [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"]Kenneth J. Reihl[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
            [SIZE="3"][COLOR="DimGray"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]12th Alabama Infantry, Company C[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by amazingkenneth
              I had been looking for the same info a few years ago. What I found was that they had the use of both sugars. I had bought a sugar cone mold and it was dated approx. 1852.... The info I got started in the Rev war up to the civil war era. In fact some ways to make sugar cones call for both white and brown sugars mixed together. It is hard to say weather the troops were issued mostly white of brown. In my opinion I would say it is whatever they were able to get for the men. I hope that helped and if you would like a pic of the mold that I have and a pic of the cones I make let me know. You can still buy the molds without any problems.

Your Servant,
              K.J. Reihl
              Kenneth,

What size is your sugar cone mold and what is it made of? Could you post a picture of the mold.

I checked the patent records and could not find a sugar mold that was patented in 1852. The first US patent for a sugar mold was issued in 1793 and the next one in 1816 but images of those patents are not available because patent office fire. The next patent for a mold was issued in 1854 but the patent was for a flange which was used for the easier removal of the dried cone and not the mold itself.

In some of my instructions for making a sugar mold, I have recommend the use of brown sugar just because it packs down easily and will get very hard without the addition of other ingredients but I suggested that brown sugar only be used for a wrapped sugar cone that was only going to be displayed and not used. If a cone is going to be made and used in a demostration, I developed, through trial and error, a recipe and technique for forming a mold.

I've seen sugar cones in museums that were about 11 inches high with a base diameter 4 1/2 inches and weighed about 4 to 5 pounds. In researching store ledgers, the whole sugar cones sold weighed between 11 to 13 pounds but I don't have size for those cones.

I have not been able to find any documentation for brown sugar cones except for the 56 pound "bastards" and small ones sold in ethnic sections of grocery stores and they were made of cornstalk sugar. The molds used to make those small sugar cones are fairly easy to find. They are made of wood with a flat tip and there are multiple compartments for the cones. I've seen ones with 4 or 8 compartments in them.

I'm always searching for additional information on sugar in the 19th century and any documented input is appreciated.
              Virginia Mescher
              vmescher@vt.edu

Comment

Sure, when I get home tonight I can post a pic of the mold. If I am correct it has 6 holes for the sugar to be placed. The dealer that I bought it from stated it was dated in his records as 1852. As ar as I know they were used fro the rev war on. There is noting on the wooden mold to state this but I will look as well tonight. It i made rom a very heavy wood and I have made cones from it. I use a mixture of white and brown sugar as so far it holds together better. The cones are I would say about the size of your palm, but I have a few made and I will get the sizes for you too. Look at the posting tonight and I will get that pic up for you.

Best Reguards,
                K.J. Reihl

Originally posted by VIrginia Mescher
                Kenneth,

What size is your sugar cone mold and what is it made of? Could you post a picture of the mold.

I checked the patent records and could not find a sugar mold that was patented in 1852. The first US patent for a sugar mold was issued in 1793 and the next one in 1816 but images of those patents are not available because patent office fire. The next patent for a mold was issued in 1854 but the patent was for a flange which was used for the easier removal of the dried cone and not the mold itself.

In some of my instructions for making a sugar mold, I have recommend the use of brown sugar just because it packs down easily and will get very hard without the addition of other ingredients but I suggested that brown sugar only be used for a wrapped sugar cone that was only going to be displayed and not used. If a cone is going to be made and used in a demostration, I developed, through trial and error, a recipe and technique for forming a mold.

I've seen sugar cones in museums that were about 11 inches high with a base diameter 4 1/2 inches and weighed about 4 to 5 pounds. In researching store ledgers, the whole sugar cones sold weighed between 11 to 13 pounds but I don't have size for those cones.

I have not been able to find any documentation for brown sugar cones except for the 56 pound "bastards" and small ones sold in ethnic sections of grocery stores and they were made of cornstalk sugar. The molds used to make those small sugar cones are fairly easy to find. They are made of wood with a flat tip and there are multiple compartments for the cones. I've seen ones with 4 or 8 compartments in them.

I'm always searching for additional information on sugar in the 19th century and any documented input is appreciated.
                [SIZE="3"][COLOR="DimGray"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]12th Alabama Infantry, Company C[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Sure, when I get home tonight I can post a pic of the mold. If I am correct it has 6 holes for the sugar to be placed. The dealer that I bought it from stated it was dated in his records as 1852. As ar as I know they were used fro the rev war on. There is noting on the wooden mold to state this but I will look as well tonight. It i made rom a very heavy wood and I have made cones from it. I use a mixture of white and brown sugar as so far it holds together better. The cones are I would say about the size of your palm, but I have a few made and I will get the sizes for you too. Look at the posting tonight and I will get that pic up for you.

Best Reguards,
                  K.J. Reihl
                  Kenneth,

Thanks for the description and it sounds like the molds used for the cornstalk sugar and for the small brown sugar cones found in ethnic grocery stores.

I've not found any documentation, for the US, of cones that size and made of brown sugar. They may have been available in the areas near Mexico since they were made there. I would love to have documentation for their use during the CW period in the US.
                  Virginia Mescher
                  vmescher@vt.edu

Comment

Hello,
                    Below is a photo of the Sugar mold with one of the cones I made a few weeks ago. The cone stands approx 4" and I would say 2 1/2" at the base.
                    Also a note about 9 years ago at Franklin, Tenn. They issued cones to the troops... Let me know what you think.

Your Servant,
                    K.J. Reihl
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hello,
                      Below is a photo of the Sugar mold with one of the cones I made a few weeks ago. The cone stands approx 4" and I would say 2 1/2" at the base.
                      Also a note about 9 years ago at Franklin, Tenn. They issued cones to the troops... Let me know what you think.

Your Servant,
                      K.J. Reihl
                      Kenneth,

Thank you for posting the picture of the mold. Yes, they are like what is available in ethnic groceries. I've not seen any primary documentation that these were used in the US but would welcome documentation.

This mold shap, which has a flat top, is not the traditional rounded top cone shape usually found in sugar molds of the time.

I don't usually research military matters but I did not find any mention of the small sugar cones in the ORs. You mention there was a note with the mold. Did it provide any reference to the statement that these were issued at Franklin?

I'll continue to look for some reference and if anyone has additional information or documentation, please post it with the source.
                      Virginia Mescher
                      vmescher@vt.edu

Comment

Brown Walmart sugar cones have been issued at probably dozens of reenactments, not to mention rendezvous and other old-timey events, and yes, they're still wrong. It's also anachronistic to call it a "cone" instead of a "loaf" if you're in the 19th century, but that's another story.

I think I've asked for primary source documentation for brown sugar molded into small brown cones in the U.S. during the Civil War, on every version of this forum. So far, no luck, except for Mexican cones in Mexico.

If anyone has documentation, now's the chance to post it.

To understand sugar loaves in the 1860s, and why it doesn't make sense for them to be small and brown, you have to understand the purpose of the normal household-sized cone-shaped molds. They were part of the refining process, and unnecessary if brown sugar was the desired result.

The [refined] sugar is poured into moulds, and all the moisture allowed to drain away. Even then, however, it is still colored, and the last trace of impurity is not removed until the cones have been 'clayed,' the clay, in this instance, however, consisting only of a solution of sugar and water, which sinks through the sugar-loaf and leaves it in that state of whiteness with which we are familiar in the sugar-basin. ("The Cultivation and Manufacture of Sugar," Debow's Review, 1867)
                        The same article indicates that muscovado, the darkest sugar, was packed and shipped in casks. Clayed sugar (lighter but still "raw") was poured into "cone-shaped moulds of metal or earthenware, holding from eighty to a hundred and twenty pounds each."

Here's another thing to consider, in reference to those 80-120 lb. molds. The average household in the U.S. wasn't making granulated cane sugar in small quantities. They were purchasing it imported from the big sugar plantations in the deep south or outside the U.S. The huge production facilities wanted to make sugar on as large a scale as practical, so why make 4" refined loaves if 12"-or-so loaves were practical and widely accepted? And why make 12" loaves of cheaper clayed sugar, if 80-120 lb. ones were practical?

When sorghum was introduced to the U.S. in the mid to late 1850s, there was an attempt to produce granulated sugar from it, on both a commercial and home scale. It didn't work out, but if the mold you had were a few years later, I'd wonder if it were connected to that.

But here's what I think it is. One kind of granulated sugar *was* produced at home on a small scale prior to the mid-1850s: maple sugar.

An article in the 1862 USDA annual report by C.T. Alvord describes "The Manufacture of Maple Sugar," and states that the usual way of making maple sugar, as opposed to syrup, was to drain it in tubs. However:

Many families are in the habit of stirring a portion of their sugar, as in this form it retains its flavor better than when it is drained, and is in a more convenient form for use... When the sugar is to be caked, it should be allowed to stand after it is taken from the fire until it is partially grained, when it should be run into the moulds... Both wooden and tin moulds are used to cake sugar in, and these are made of different forms and sizes--the weight of the cakes varying from two ounces to several pounds. The general form of the cake is a square, as this is the most convenient one for packing in boxes.
                        However, this secondary souce (apparently referring to at least the early 20th century), mentions the popularity of cone molds. From http://www.crabcoll.com/journal/maple.html :

Most maple sap is made into syrup these days. Formerly, most was made into maple sugar for easier storage and shipping. Maple sugar 'cones' were common units of trade throughout the country, and as an export commodity. I remember talking to a WWII veteran who was stationed with me in Denver years ago. He had ran across a cone of maple sugar in a grocers store when he was stationed in England. He bought it and carried it back for the cook at the barracks to make up maple syrup for his unit - and brought back a taste of home for this home-sick Maine boy.
                        That's my guess for what you've got--a wooden mold for making stirred maple sugar, not a wooden mold used in the production of raw cane sugar.

Hank Trent
                        hanktrent@voyager.net
                        Hank Trent

Comment

Working...
                        X