Sleeping Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping Caps

Could anyone tell me what type of fabric is most period correct to use in making a man's sleeping cap? (is a light-weight wool ok?) Were sleeping caps the same as a less dressy smoking or lounging cap, or were they an entirely different piece of headwear? Thanks for your advice!
    Regards,
    Lindsey Slaugh

Re: Sleeping Caps

There was certainly a wide variety of 'informal' headgear during the CW period--many more different styles than today's ubiquitious bashball cap.

Here's a good example of a repro sleeping cap made of fabric--scroll down to Mr. McCoslins' caps

A lightweight wool would be ideal--far more warm and correct than an equivalent weight cotton flannel. Watch it though--this looks like an easy thing to cut--but the triangle shape actually has curves, tailoring and sizing to it--certainly not as easy as it looks--that is, if you want it to fit. You could also knit this shape--and I'll be glad to provide you with an appropriate pattern.

Smoking caps tended to be more dressy --many in the shape of a 1960's 'pillbox hat', and were often heavily embrodiered or quilted and fabrics could include wool or silk. Other popular shapes were tams or touques. Certainly men of conservative tastes might have worn a more subdued style, but this seems to be an area where taste and color ran wild. One wonders if they were rather like bad Father's day ties--no matter how gaudy, Dad wore it anyway.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Mrs. Lawson,
      My wife has been searching for a period pattern for a sleeping cap for me. Her search has been rather fruitless. Most of what she has found I wouldn't put on my head even in a snow storm. If you have a pattern, I would appreciate any help you could provide.
      Thanks in advance.
      Charlie
      Vive la Compagnie
      Charlie Spickler
      Co. I Mess
      CWPT Member

Comment

Mrs. Lawson,
        Thank you for your help! I didn't realize that a smoking cap would be so difficult to make though! I guess I better get looking for a pattern! Do you have any pattern suggestions? (unfortunately I don't know how to knit! :( )

I'm very grateful for your help!
        Regards,
        Lindsey Slaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Unionbelle
          Could anyone tell me what type of fabric is most period correct to use in making a man's sleeping cap? (is a light-weight wool ok?) Were sleeping caps the same as a less dressy smoking or lounging cap, or were they an entirely different piece of headwear? Thanks for your advice!
          While these are considerably earlier, here are some nice images of original sleeping caps. We took these pictures while in Bath England.
          Last edited by Matt Caldwell; 07-09-2009, 08:15 PM.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Matt Caldwell

GHTI

WIG[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Caldwell
            While these are considerably earlier, here are some nice images of original sleeping caps. We took these pictures while in Bath England.
            The center cap looks like a common Scandinavian cap of the period.
            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Re: How to knit a pointy sleeping cap

Pointy knitted sleeping cap, translated into modern terms. No charge for the pattern, but you have to pay attention to the free advice that comes with it.

With a set of double pointed needles in size 7, 8, or 9, and yarn in a sport or worsted weight. Use little needles for sport yarns, larger needles for worsted.
              Got a big head, make the big one, got a small head, make the small one. Somebody will wear it.

Takes about 4 ounces of yarn--look to period color choices and tastes--some guys are right gaudy in their preferences, other want a plain brown hat. Same thing with tassels--some guys want theirs to be large and showy, others want a nice compact discreet tassel. Either way, they both accomplish the same mission--to weight down the point of the hat and keep them from looking too goofy in it.

Don't waste your time on yarn that's not wool.
              If they say they are allergic, buy nicer wool--its the crapola(straw, pollen, sheep poo) left in cheap spun wool that most folks are really allergic to.
              Even if they whine about the modern stuff being so much cheaper--when they find some guy frozen, do you really want them to chalk it up to his farby hat letting him get that cold?

End of crabby advice--now for the pattern:

Using a flexible cast on method, cast on 74 stitches. Flexible is key here--this thing has got to stretch and snap back, otherwise, you'll spend a whole lot of time fussing over fitting.

Divide work on 3 or 4 needles, whichever is most comfortable for you. Join ( or not--you can work this thing flat on straight needles and seam it up the back later--I'm just lazy and hate to sew.

Knit 1 purl 1 rib for 4 inches.
              Stockingnett for 4 inches. (thats for folks working flat--for you double pointed folks, its just knit, knit knit.)
              Reposition work on four needles thusly
              Needle one-20 stitches
              Needle two-17
              Needle three-17
              Needle four-20--the end of needle four is the center back of the hat. If you are making stripes, this is where you change colors.

Decrease pattern:
              Round 1:
              Needle 1: Knit 15, knit 2 together(or whatever decrease makes you happy) knit 3
              Needle 2: Knit 2 together, knit 15
              Needle 3: Knit 15, knit 2 together
              Needle 4: Knit 3, knit 2 together, Knit 15

Round 2, 3, 4
              Knit plain in stockingnet

Round 5--decrease in pattern previously established.
              Needle 1: Knit 14, knit 2 together(or whatever decrease makes you happy) knit 3
              Needle 2: Knit 2 together, knit 14
              Needle 3: Knit 14, knit 2 together
              Needle 4: Knit 3, knit 2 together, Knit 14

Round 6, 7, 8
              Knit plain in stockingnet

Proceed in pattern until you've run out of stitches--you'll have to wing it the last few rounds. Add a tassel.

If you are feeling generous, or the wearer is the whiney type, soak hat in a cap ful of Downy and warm water, then block and dry flat.

Depending on your yarn availbility and needle size preference, you can work this in a larger number of stitches and smaller needle sizes, as long as the fomula fits this idea. Total stitches, minus 6= an even number (first). And even number (first), when divided by 2, is also an even number(second). That second even number is the number of stitches that go on needle 2 and needle three. Needle 1 and needle 4 have the same number plus three.

In decreasing, the knit two together is the easy way out-I prefer a pair of mirrored decreases (ssk and then s1, k1, psso), as mirrors period construction techniques, even if my customers haven't a clue that its better.

Adjust your needle size to fit your available yarrns. I tend to go way down in needle size when using Darling Daughter's hand spun--she's a better spinner than I am, and can spin much more finely. My spinning tends to be lumpy ('cause I'm talking rather than paying attention) and Sister complains when she has to knit with it.

Sounds like more trouble than its worth? I'll be shipping a big stack of them to Mr. Hoffman at Jersey Skillet Licker, and he'll have some pictures shortly thereafter. They'd be there now, but Sister's been slacking on the sock knitting, and her part's not done. ;) Not that I don't appreciate the winter coat she's been working on for me.........
              Terre Hood Biederman
              Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
              Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Very informative.
                Mike Hinton
                12th TX, Co. A

Comment

Great info.
                  I thank you, and my wife thanks you.
                  Vive la Compagnie
                  Charlie Spickler
                  Co. I Mess