Otis Baker suspenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Otis Baker suspenders

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I just bought some Nick ************ Otis Baker suspenders and when I put them on my trousers, the adjusting strap hangs very low, past the bottom of my jacket. I doubt this is the correct way to wear them, but what do I do with the slack in the adjuster? Hope somebody can help me with this.

Pvt. Chris Anderson
    5th Geo. Infantry

Re: Otis Baker suspenders

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you are supposed to cut the slack to the length you like, and sew 'em. No, they won't be very adjustable, but I am under the impression that this was how they did it.
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Joanna Norris Forbes[/FONT]

Comment

Tuck your suspender slack into your trousers...... I do it all the time, and it's also correct.

I hope I understood your post correctly.
      Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 09-05-2004, 10:35 PM.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
      Cincinnati

Comment

Joanna,
        That pretty much kills the point of adjustable suspenders.

Aaron gave some pretty sound advice. Either that or cut off some of the slack.
        Patrick Landrum
        Independent Rifles

Comment

The way those suspenders are made, its going to be pretty hard to cut the fronts to length and resew them in such a manner that they look like they did to begin with. Your best two options are to remove the leather tab form the back of them (wait, is there a leather tab on the back or are they all cloth, if it is a seperate cloth tab this should work as well.), cut there and resew, or tuck 'em in or let 'em dangle.
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Thanks for the help. I figured tucking them in was the best way, because it would be very hard to make resew them to the same they were before.

Pvt. Chris Anderson
            5th Geo. Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by HOG.EYE.MAN
              Tuck your suspender slack into your trousers...... I do it all the time, and it's also correct.

I hope I understood your post correctly.
              I own a pair made by Tim Koehn and I too now what this small problem is like.

As everyone has stated, I just tuck them into my trousers. It doesn't feel weird and it certainly less of an embarassment when others see you look like a back country hick. I wouldn't cut them, personally, because if someone else who's bigger than you are wants to use them, there's still slack. But I'm sure some soldier was bound to cut the annoyance off.
              Jason C. Spellman
              Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

I cut mine off and resewed the ends as best I could. I'm not suddenly going to get any taller,so I made them to suit me. I probably ruined any chance of selling them eventually,though.

Doug Price

Comment

Folks,

Just keep in mind that the originals are 37" long. I made one pair the original size and they barely fit. If you do cut them down, treat the ends with fray stop or starch and use a buttonhole stitch. If you need any help, let me know. I will be glad to adjust them for you or send you yard of thread for you to do it.
                  Thanks.
                  Timothy J. Koehn
                  Boone's Louisiana Battery
                  Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
                  http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

I have a pair of Otis Baker Braces and I just tuck them into my trousers.

Matt T
                    Matthew Thompson

Comment

Working...
                    X