Lining a Shirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lining a Shirt

At one point I ran across a post with instructions on lining a men's shirt, but for the life of me can't find it now (even after using the search feature) Anyone have any pointers?
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Re: Lining a Shirt

Exactly what kind of pinters are you looking for.

In doing a half lining for a shirt, there are different styles and methods.

If you look at "Thoughts on Men's Shirts" you will see several different types of linings. Several with just a lining across the back, and then reinforcements down the front.

In my experience, in doing a half lining for a shirt I normally lay out both my shirt body and lining together. Some patterns will reference the line for your half lining. I then fold under the bottom edges 1/4 inch, and top stitch by hand. I also baste (you can top stitch) along the edges to hold lining and shirt fabric together. I can then lay out my neck and placket openings, and cut all layers at once and construct the shirt as usual. You are now just dealing with a couple more layers of fabric. Shirt #17 in "Thoughts on Men's Shirts" shows a good half lined shirt.

Does this help?
    Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
    Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
    Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Working...
    X