How does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does it work?

I have a question.....and I'm not too big to ask for a little lesson in how this works.

I have heard that using wood ash polishes up buttons quite nicely. Never had any real need to do so. However, I got a whim to grab some cool ashes from the fire places, grab a tarnished spare button, and give it a try. Gosh, that works well.

How is it that wood ash does this? I'm not too hip on the miracles of carbon, so I'd really like to know how this little field trick can remove tarnish with a quick swipe....that's pretty impressive!

Would love to know,
    -Mike Montgomery
    [FONT=Arial][B]Mike Montgomery[/B][FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Re: How does it work?

Mike,

Wood ash is one of the components for making lye soap. The lye is in the wood ash and that is the cleaning agent. Also wood ash has a very fine abrasive effect (like flour of emory, sometimes issued to soldiers to clean brass and weapons), which when combined with the cleaning effect make for a suitable brass polish.
    Matt Woodburn
    Retired Big Bug
    WIG/GHTI
    Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
    "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Also, when the ash is mixed with a little water, it works as a surfactant (surface active agent). Which means, it breaks the surface tension of the water. Water is a great solvent when this is done, plus with the ash, it helps quicken the action of the lye in the ash.

Comment

Yes, in a pinch wood ashes mixed with a little water makes a nice paste for polishing brass. Best luck seems to be with ashes from good hardwood, not pine and the like.

You can get a really bright shine with several polishings using ashes. You can end up with a lot of gray residue on the surrounding garment/leather if you are not pretty careful, so its a trade off.
        Fred Grogan
        Sykes' Regulars

Comment

Well Gents, all I can say is that I'm mighty impressed with that little trick. And of course, I'm glad some folks know how it works.

Maybe now, I can explain why back in my Boy Scout days, ash was so bitter (compared to regular burnt stuff). Yup, guilty as charged: I've dropped a hot dog in the fire AND still ate it because there was nothing else. Sure was bitter on the outside.....must've been some of that LYE you gents were mentioning. Maybe that's how I got the "silver tongue" without any tarnish all these years (or so my friends tell me....)

Have a SAFE and blessed Christmas,
          -Mike
          [/FONT]
          [/FONT]

Comment

Pard
            I am a life rank in boy scouts and am guilty of that also . also another thing some of you are aware of is that wood ash is also a remedy for an upset stomach. charcoal is a remedy for diarhia also just a little trick you can learn . believe it or not it works . but you have to watch your consumption , aspecially when they serve chilli for dinner on friday night at a re-enactment .
            hopethis will come of use in the future.

Rob
            Very Respectfully,
            Robert Young

Comment

Blue, I earned my Eagle back in 1990.....nice to have another scouter aboard!

We used charcoals and ashes for all sorts of things, but never for polishing purposes.......wonder how that didn't get into the handbook.

For example, I'm sure you save some of your larger pieces of charcoal to help the next fire.

In any event, to stay focused, there's a post a bit further up that mentions the mess this makes. Aside from those purdy button polishing boards, I wonder what sorts of items men used to keep the ash from getting everywhere? With the assumption that we "pack light" when reenacting, I'm wondering what other sort of field item could take the place of a polishing board... I don't bring a lot of extra cloth, so "make-shift" towels aren't to be had....

I guess that's another thread!

Regards
              -Mike Montgomery
              [/FONT]
              [/FONT]

Comment

Instead of a button polishing board try using a comb... I've seen a fella using a big old bone comb w/ a couple tines broken off at strategic locations... I'm too lazy to polish anything so I've never tried it myself but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
                Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
                SUVCW Camp 48
                American Legion Post 352
                [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

That wood ash also works wonders on a rifle barrel in the field. Just sit by your fire take a rag dip it in the ashes and wipe away that pesky exterior rust you sometimes get after a heavy dew.
                  Once done save a tad of bacon grease from your breakfast, wipe the metal parts clean of the ashes and dab lightly with the bacon grease. First couple of rounds fired afterwards will bring back the memories of past meals.
                  Dusty Lind
                  Running Discharge Mess
                  Texas Rifles
                  BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

pards:
                    I am currently a life rank , but have been kinda lazy this year on getting my last 3 merit badges out of the way. they are the toughest also, personalfitness, personal manegement, and family life ( I have all done exept the 30days requirement ). my dad earned his eagle in 1973 . i am also in the order of the arrow and do native american dancing :o I get alot of crap over it also.
                    the reason it doesn't appear in the scout book is because most guys learn it in camping and wilderness survival merit badges.

I also hear that you can also use a mixture of cooking grease and ash and make a paste and put it on your rifle and let it dry a little and it will clean and put a light water proof coating that will last for about a week. might be worth a try , but i would ask around , i don't know if it works , some one just said it around the campfire a while ago.

Rob
                    Very Respectfully,
                    Robert Young

Comment

Re: Alternate use - your rifle

Not only is wood ash handy for cleaning your buttons, try it on the barrel and trimmings of your rifle.

Dip the corner of a rag into some water and then swipe up some wood ash. Scrub your metal and it cleans right up. This is a dirty job, you'll end up needing to wash your paws but it does a fine job.
                      Paul Calloway
                      Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                      Proud Member of the GHTI
                      Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                      Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Pards;
                        also if you ever plan on eating acorns , try boiling them with wood ash to get the bitterness out , that might come in handy for us at a reenactment when someone refuse's to go to Mcdonalds with the rest of the unit .

didn't know this stuff is so versitile.

Rob
                        Very Respectfully,
                        Robert Young

Comment

Commercial metal polish is pretty messy too, so if you are careful the wood ash approach is not really so bad. Some time back I mixed up some wood ash from the fireplace with some distilled water and let it dry in an old precussion cap tin. Its not my first line polishing stuff, but I've used it out in the field occasionally rather than Wright's or Brasso.

SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC WARNING: Rottenstone being a simple abrasive works well enough to get your brass "in the yellow" if tarnished. Rifle barrels and fittings can be touched up with it, but again, not really given a high shine. For keeping rifles bright try using fine emory cloth and crocus cloth to make it pretty. Obviously keeping the rifle bright is one way of protecting it from rust and ruin. If you burnish the surface well and oil it lightly the finish will stay with it through mildly damp weather.
                          Fred Grogan
                          Sykes' Regulars

Comment

Mike, I’m happy to hear someone talking about polishing his brass. Using wood ash or rottenstone will give you a period correct shine and won’t damage your gear the way chemicals can. IMO nothing ruins an otherwise good impression more than tarnished brass and a lack of military bearing in the ranks. Even the volunteer units kept their equipment in good condition. For anyone who hasn’t read “Hard Marching Every Day” I’d highly recommend it, you’ll realize how much of the soldiers time was spent on drill and caring for their gear. And in terms of military bearing, I see way too many units with guys talking and/or looking around when they are suppose to be at attention. But I’ll save that topic for another thread.
                            Bob Clayton
                            [url=http://www.sykesregulars.org]Co. C, 2nd U.S. Infantry, "Sykes Regulars"[/url]
                            Honoring the proud history and traditions of the U.S. Army
                            [url=http://home.comcast.net/~coffeeboiler/sykes_pics.htm]Photo Gallery[/url]

Comment

Working...
                            X