Drummer instruction tapes/cd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drummer instruction tapes/cd?

There seems to be plenty of recordings of bugle calls: Is anyone aware of a tape or cd that teaches the same for beginning drummers?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B
    Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B
    Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
    Outpost III

Re: Drummer instruction tapes/cd?

I know in our battalion the new fresh fish drumers are just taught by the old hands. They get together at drill before hand and just go through the ropes, teaching and learning. I might suggest though you learn "firing by the drum". Easier to hear several drummers beating out that call on the battlefield than some poor horse throated major trying to scream above the din of the battlefield.

Dusty Lind
    Dusty Lind
    Running Discharge Mess
    Texas Rifles
    BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

Hi,

I have never seen the type of CD or tape you desire although I'm rather stumped as to why they're apparently not available--this seems like a significant oversight. You might want to check with the "Civil War Fife and Drum" site and ask a question there, if you haven't done so already:

In my case, I lucked out. My brother is a very talented drummer, and former member of a nationally-known RevWar fife and drum corps, so I was able to have him tape all the drum/skirmish calls out of "Casey's" for my listening pleasure. The tape quality isn't that great but, if you'd like it, let me know and I'll dub you a copy as time permits.

"Firing by drum" sounds and looks impressive but, historically speaking, I don't think it's particularly accurate. Per such works as "Casey," drummers were only used to deliver skirmish commands when buglers were not otherwise available. As a rule, drummers were pressed into service during engagements to assist the wounded, which only seems logical. I can't immediately remember ever seeing an account indicating that drummers were used to provide firing commands during the war. Perhaps a search of the "Official Records" might provide more evidence for this practice.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Originally posted by markj
        You might want to check with the "Civil War Fife and Drum" site and ask a question there, if you haven't done so already:

In my case, I lucked out. My brother is a very talented drummer, and former member of a nationally-known RevWar fife and drum corps, so I was able to have him tape all the drum/skirmish calls out of "Casey's" for my listening pleasure. The tape quality isn't that great but, if you'd like it, let me know and I'll dub you a copy as time permits.

Mark Jaeger
        Had already looked at the site; no success.
        I would greatly appreciate a copy of the tape. It can be sent to:
        Bernard Biederman
        298 Highland Ave.
        Worthington, OH 43085

Your humble servant,

Bernard Biederman
        30th OVI
        Co. B
        Bernard Biederman
        30th OVI
        Co. B
        Outpost III

Comment

To learn how to drum you learn the rudiments. Those are available in any elementary percussion instruction manual...see your local music store. Once you know the difference between a drag, flam, paradiddle, and 7 stroke roll you can begin to think about the actual duty and battlefield beats.

Bruce and Emmet is Mandatory for learning the duty beats and the role of a drummer during the American Civil War. Casey's has the battlefield beats (never used nor recognized in ACW reenacting). Most drummers in ACW reenacting learn the same way the original drummers did.....from the Principal Musician or Principal Drummer. The Late Don Hubbard's Fort Delaware Field Music School is highly recommended to be attended.

I have a tape of all beats in Casey's $6 delivered.

RJ Samp
          rjsamp@ameritech.net
          RJ Samp
          (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
          Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Hi Bernard,

I would respectfully suggest you go with R. J. Samp's product since the quality of my tape is strictly "amateur hour" and was never specifically intended for distribution outside of my unit. I have one of the CD's R. J. made for the 1821 Hanoverian bugle calls (reportedly used by some German units in the 11th Army Corps) and it's quite good.

The question as to whether drummers were actually used to deliver skirmish/firing commands during engagements remains intriguing and vexing to me. However such occurrences apparently rarely, if ever, happened so I would opine it's best to save "firing by drum" strictly for living history demonstrations rather than "battles."

Indeed, I would submit that, given the situations actual skirmishers often found themselves in, the position of drummer could be as unwieldly as it was suicidal. Interestingly, there is plenty of evidence showing that the PRUSSIAN army did use drummers to beat out firing commands during the Prusso-Danish and Austro-Prussian Wars of 1864 and 1866. But, of course, this doesn't apply to the ACW.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
            Last edited by markj; 12-26-2003, 10:12 AM.
            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I agree with RJ Samp. Learning the drum is much different than learning the bugle. You can not just sit down and listen to a recording and expect to be an expert by the next day. You must first purchase a manual, such as Bruce and Emmet, which is very well known, or any other one. Then you need to either teach yourself every rudiment or find a rudimental drum teacher(recommended). Once you have learned the rudiments you can then begin to read the duty calls and read the music.

Bruce and Emmet can be purchased by almost any sutler or online at Beafifer.com. The reason why most drummers in the hobby today are not profficient on their instruments is because they have not taken the time to learn the basics. They hear others with experience play and then they try to copy what they hear.

Alex Kuhn
              Camp Chase Fifes and Drums
              Alex Kuhn
              Camp Chase Fifes & Drums

Comment

Originally posted by FederalDrummerBoy
                You must... find a rudimental drum teacher(recommended). Once you have learned the rudiments you can then begin to read the duty calls and read the music.
                I'll second that motion! A beginning drummer will progress much quicker with the one-on-one attention given in private lessons. Thus, I would suggest that you check the local phone book for a private teacher. After teaching the basics, a good teacher will tailor the lessons to the student’s desires and assist him with the duty calls, &c. My son's teacher, who was my teacher for 13 years, charges $12.00 per ½ hour lesson. It is definitely worth it.

I think in one of the other threads you mentioned that your son is the drummer in your household. In my area, kids are able to begin taking music lessons at school beginning in 4th or 5th grade. Depending on your son’s age, this may also be an option.

But, again, private lessons are definitely worth the time and expense. Of course… he’ll still need to practice!

--Jim
                [FONT=microsoftsansserif][SIZE=2]James R. Pfeiffer

Comment

Originally posted by pfeiffer3964
                  I think in one of the other threads you mentioned that your son is the drummer in your household. In my area, kids are able to begin taking music lessons at school beginning in 4th or 5th grade. Depending on your son’s age, this may also be an option.--Jim
                  Yes, my son is the beginner drummer. He started taking percussion this year in 6th grade band so he can become our company's drummer, but so far, they have only been working on the bells, not the drum pad. I would like to get him functional before the spring so he is an asset to the company (He really wants to be something useful, not just running around), even if it's only knowing how to play the basic calls properly. Due to his mild disabilities, he seems to learn best by repetition; the trick is to get him repeating the CORRECT way to play the calls rather than an incorrect way that gets imprinted on him and has to be unlearned. If we hit it right the first time, it will make his experience much easier and better for the unit.

Regards,

Bernard Biederman
                  30th OVI
                  Co. B
                  Bernard Biederman
                  30th OVI
                  Co. B
                  Outpost III

Comment

The March 1999 Camp Chase Gazette has a nice little article called "Essential Calls For the Infantry Camp". They have a few drum "rolls" for various commands.
                    As far as documentation of drumers being on the firing line, I remember the accounts of Johnny Clem at Shiloh. He said he was on the lines when a piece of shell destroyed his drum, he grabbed the a musket and the rest is history.
                    Dusty Lind
                    Running Discharge Mess
                    Texas Rifles
                    BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

Greetings,

With the previous post in mind, musicians were certainly not averse to getting into the action if necessary. The following comes from the AAR filed by Lt. Col. William C. Kise, 10th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, after the engagement at Mill Springs KY (19 January 1862):

"Fife and Drum Maj.'s Daniel and James Conklin shouldered muskets and fought valiantly during the early of the engagement, after which they were of great service in carrying off and attending to the wounded."

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Musicians in action

Corporal Eagleston with the 6th WVI was involved in the fight for the flag of the 2nd Mississippi in the Railroad Cut, Gettysburg, PA, July 1, 1863. When the Iron Brigade went into a fight he dropped his drum for a musket. He went after the flag and became a casualty....

RJ Samp
                        RJ Samp
                        (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
                        Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

You can go to http://beafifer.com and order a Bruce an Emmet's companion CD aswell.

Regards,
                          [B][FONT=Georgia]Eric P. Emde[/FONT][/B]
                          [URL="http://www.2ndmaryland.org"]www.2ndmaryland.org[/URL]

Comment

Greetings,

For whatever it's worth, here are some additional resources that may assist you:

Nevins, William and Vaas, A. J. (arr.). "Army regulations for drum, fife, and bugle : being a complete manual for these instruments, giving all the calls for camp and field duty, to which is added suitable music for each instrument." Chicago: Root & Cady, 1864, 51 pps.

Hart, Col. H. C. "Col. H.C. Hart's New and improved instructor for the drum." New York: (Self-publishd), 1862, 59 pps.

Keach, Burditt, and Cassidy (eds.). "The Army drum and fife book : containing full instructions, the reveille, the tattoo, the various calls and beats used in the service, and a choice collection of music : to which is added the Bugler's call book, containing all the infantry general calls ... used in the U.S. Army." Boston: O. Ditson, 1861, 64 pps., illus.

Howe, Elias. "Howe's United States regulation drum and fife instructor : for the use of the Army and Navy containing full rules and exercises, the duties of musicians on all occasions and the full camp duty, signals, calls, &c., also The complete bugle calls for the infantry, artillery, & cavalry, also, the pay and emoluments of musicians and of every grade in the Army or Navy to which is added several popular national and patriotic songs as quartettes." Boston: Elias Howe, 1862, 73 pps.

If the above items have not been reprinted, then you can obtain them in either original editions or in microform through interlibrary loan.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

In keeping with the earlier musicians "on the firing line" posts...

From The Official Records Series I, Volume XXXVI/1, page 77, a dispatch from Charles A. Dana, Assistant Secretary of War states:

HEADQUARTERS ARMIES OF THE UNITED STATES, May 24, 1864.
                              (Received 7 a.m., 25th.)

The enemy have fallen back, whether to take up a position beyond the South Anna or to go to Richmond is uncertain. Reports brought by negroes favor the latter alternative. Warren, Burnside, and Hancock are pushing forward after the retreating army. Warren captured a good number of prisoners last evening, but has not yet had time to count them, nor to ascertain his losses. Hancock, in storming the rifle-pits this side of the river last evening, also took between 100 and 200 prisoners, and drove many rebels into the river, where they were drowned. Warren captured some official papers, amongst them an order calling out all boys of seventeen to garrison Richmond. Ambulance-men and musicians are also ordered to the ranks. [emphasis added] Sheridan heard from this morning at Dunkirk; will be at Milford to-night. The country just here is densely wooded with pine, much like the Wilderness region. Roads very sandy.

C. A. DANA.

Hon. E. M. STANTON,
                              Secretary of War.
                              In addition, an excerpt from the report of Thomas A. McParlin, US Army Medical Director regarding the operations arouns Spotyslvania and Fredericksburg in May and June of 1864 states in relevant part:

The Sixth Corps hospitals were placed in the pine woods on the Court-House and Piney Branch Church road, one-half mile north of the intersection of the Block house road. All the wounded were transferred to these points during the day by means of the spring wagons and stretchers; abundance of all kinds of supplies were on hand, including ice, there being several large well-filled ice-houses in the vicinity. Large numbers of blankets and shelter-tents, which had been dropped and abandoned in the woods by stragglers and wounded, were collected and brought into the hospitals by the attendants and field musicians, who in some instances were regularly deployed as skirmishers [emphasis added] and sent through the woods for that purpose. About 2,500 blankets and 500 shelter-tents were obtained in this manner.
                              This report is conained in the same series and volume, page 228.

Also, at the battle of Perryville,
                              ...Charley Common, a little drummer-boy [with the 52nd Ohio Infantry], having lost his drum, took a musket and fought manfully in the line.
                              And, at 7 Pines,
                              ...a drummer-boy named George Funk [of the 88th New York Infntry], ...acted most heroically during the engagement, and ...followed closely on the track of the retreating rebels, bringing in a prisoner, whom he delivered to General Sumner.
                              --Jim
                              Last edited by pfeiffer3964; 01-08-2004, 01:50 PM. Reason: More information
                              [FONT=microsoftsansserif][SIZE=2]James R. Pfeiffer

Comment

Working...
                              X