"Button That Top Button!" Arrggh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Button That Top Button!" Arrggh!

A question: I have relied on others' knowledge in this regard who have declared that the 'top button' rule was in place until Gen. Grant became general-in-chief in 1864, who then relaxed it.

I didn't see anyone in this topic mention this, a fact that makes me wonder if this information is inaccurate or misinterpreted.

Respectfully,
    Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...

Comment

And I have always been willing to note that ladies would not have been shocked my male bodies without coats, what they would have taken another glance at is if Mr. Maxwell Moneybags suddenly stripped off his broadcloth suit right in the midst of a dinner party with guests.

Particularly in the South and urban areas (North and South) women (ladies and not) are seeing laboring classes of men (white and black, enslaved and free) without coats, they are not gentlemen. (Before the Crash of 2006 there was a great thread of lady v. woman and meanings within the period.)

Attached is a wartime image of a coatless overseer with the family that employed him.
      Last edited by Emmanuel Dabney; 01-20-2008, 03:33 PM.
      Sincerely,
      Emmanuel Dabney
      Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
      http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

There is no regulation that forbids the sprouting of wings and flying about the parade ground. This is because nobody ever did that.
        There is a regulating that directs the men to keep their coats buttoned because they were leaving them open (human nature being what it is.)
        If the troops NEVER violated the Regs, why do we have volumes of courts-martial records that say otherwise?
        The question that might be asked is "Is being a bad soldier sometimes a good impression?"

Health note — if you read that book Miss L.M. Alcott kept trying to peddle, A Long, Fatal Love Chase, (one that we can't mention whilst "in Period" because it was only published recently) you will encounter a murder accomplished by the fiendish means of hiding a gentleman's coat so that he was outside at midday without its protection on a hot day and died as a result.
        So to modern, mid-nineteenth century medical common knowledge, an unbuttoned coat provides only partial protection from the sun’s deadly rays.
        Glen E. Hargis
        Rackensacker Mess
        Co. A, First U.S. Infantry (faux)

Comment

Originally posted by JimKindred
          "And like Marc said, it could be turning into a reenactorism soon by people who have no idea on 19th Century etiquette."

Could be turning into a reenactorism? I don't want to bust any bubbles but this was a reenactorism more than 25 years ago and still continues.
          Research is the reenactorisms worst enemy, and to many reenactors, it's a foreign word. Much of the entrenched reenactor lore of how 19th century people and soldiers behaved is passed down verbally... it's pretty much reenactor oral history, and as any trained historian knows, oral history, especially after being transmitted over several generations, is pretty sketchy.

Reenactor lore promulgates because of trust. A new kid joins, and he's given a mentor in the unit, to show him how to drill and get a uniform. Presumably, it's someone who has been in the unit for a little while, so the new recruit thinks, "He's been doing this a while. He probably knows what he's doing. I should listen to him." Then, a few years pass, and the recruit is now a seasoned reenacting veteran. Now, a new body comes in, and its his turn to drill the newbie. And, so, he teaches how he learned, and what he learned, and the cycle goes on and on.

Add to this some stuff they may have learned from school, T.V. documentaries, and movies, and again, we trust that they know what they're talking about. A documentary talks about Civil War photography, and says that the pictures are grainy. Well, that must mean that photography was really bad! You've probably learned in school that "Victorians" were uptight people. Someone looks at random studio portraits from the entire 1830 - 1890 period, because they're all Victorians and all Victorians are the same. "Wow! They do look really stiff! No one is smiling!" says they. And everyone says this, too! It has to be right!

To this, also add a tablespoon of overreliance on etiquette books, a pinch of modern superiority complex ("They didn't have computers and air conditioning and had to make stuff on their own... that's weird and stupid!"), and a good helping of drivel like The Victorian Trading Company, bake for 4 hours, and I think you'll have the problem. Then you'll need to clean your oven.
          Jason R. Wickersty
          http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
          Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
          Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
          Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
          Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Well said Mr. Wickersty. Well said.
            Your Obedient,

Matthew B. Bursig
            52nd New York Regt. "German Rangers",
            & The Daybreak B'hoys Mess

Researching the Life and Times of the 20th NYSV Regt. The "United Turner Rifles"

"Bahn Frei!!"

Comment

Research is a dieing art.

Originally posted by ThehosGendar
              Research is the reenactorisms worst enemy, and to many reenactors, it's a foreign word. Much of the entrenched reenactor lore of how 19th century people and soldiers behaved is passed down verbally... it's pretty much reenactor oral history, and as any trained historian knows, oral history, especially after being transmitted over several generations, is pretty sketchy.

Reenactor lore promulgates because of trust. A new kid joins, and he's given a mentor in the unit, to show him how to drill and get a uniform. Presumably, it's someone who has been in the unit for a little while, so the new recruit thinks, "He's been doing this a while. He probably knows what he's doing. I should listen to him." Then, a few years pass, and the recruit is now a seasoned reenacting veteran. Now, a new body comes in, and its his turn to drill the newbie. And, so, he teaches how he learned, and what he learned, and the cycle goes on and on.

Add to this some stuff they may have learned from school, T.V. documentaries, and movies, and again, we trust that they know what they're talking about. A documentary talks about Civil War photography, and says that the pictures are grainy. Well, that must mean that photography was really bad! You've probably learned in school that "Victorians" were uptight people. Someone looks at random studio portraits from the entire 1830 - 1890 period, because they're all Victorians and all Victorians are the same. "Wow! They do look really stiff! No one is smiling!" says they. And everyone says this, too! It has to be right!

To this, also add a tablespoon of overreliance on etiquette books, a pinch of modern superiority complex ("They didn't have computers and air conditioning and had to make stuff on their own... that's weird and stupid!"), and a good helping of drivel like The Victorian Trading Company, bake for 4 hours, and I think you'll have the problem. Then you'll need to clean your oven.
              Jim Kindred

Comment

Mr. Wickersty,

Amen.
                I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
                Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
                Hard Head Mess
                Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
                Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Why is this a three star thread? Somebody out there must be threatened by these statements. Heck, that's some of the best comments I have seen in a long time. The man brought up a good example of reenactorisms and we learned something, also the lack of research was well stated.
                  Gregory Deese
                  Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
                  "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

It could also be that there are a lot of people like myself that don't give a darn about using the little stars.
                    Jim Kindred

Comment

Too the best of my understanding, in the presence of civilized company or women, a man needs to wear a jacket fully buttoned not exposing any skin or undershirt (ie. ends of cuffs or collar) at the very least a vest. If unpreparedly adressed or in the presance of a lady he must button the top button of his shirt. In many military camps there were no women or civilians of high regard so clothing restrictions were less inforced wile off duty.

Steven Flibotte
                      Liberty Hall Fifes & Drums
                      Steven Flibotte
                      Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
                      Confederate Marines Company C./Marine Guard USS Galena
                      Tidewater Maritime Living History Association

Comment

Give us a written period reference on this please. Also did you read all of the previous posts on this subject?
                        Jim Kindred

Comment

I have no writen reference. Like i Said with the top button issue "To the best of my understanding" the above is how it was explained to me.

Steven Flibotte
                          Last edited by Shantyman; 10-18-2006, 06:52 PM.
                          Steven Flibotte

Comment

These women certainly don't seem to be terribly offended.
                            Attached Files
                            Marc A. Hermann
                            Liberty Rifles.
                            MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
                            Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

This is the Authentic Campaigner forum, please do not make statements you cannot back up without documentation. The majority of this thread has been about trying to eliminate reenactor myths that have been passed on for decades without any period references. I am not trying to bust your chops but I do want you to understand that people on this forum will ask for references when statements are made of a historical nature.

Originally posted by Shantyman
                              I have no writen reference. Like i Said with the top button issue "To the best of my understanding" the above is how it was explained to me.

Steven Flibotte
                              Jim Kindred

Comment

Beg pardon, completly understood

Steven Flibotte
                                Steven Flibotte

Comment

Working...
                                X