Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden Match Safes

Gentlemen,

I was browsing around, and saw this on a website(Link at bottom).

I think I recall seeing one of these somewhere before, maybe an antique shop somewhere. Has anyone else ever seen one of these?

I was also considering making one myself, and was curious, what is the striker made out of. If you scroll down on the page, you can see the lid open, and an inlaid striker in the top portion of it. It looks to me like some sort of a stone. Anyone know what it is?
    Thanks for any help possible.
    Match Safe
    [FONT=Georgia][FONT=Georgia]Very Respectfully,
    Charlie Gerkin
    Rah Virginia Mil '11
    Tar Water Mess-GHTI
    VMI CWRT[/FONT][/FONT]

Re: Wooden Match Safes

If you do get around to making one, shoot me an e-mail as I would be intereted in buying one from you

Comment

I have a period wood match safe that has an identical carved motif, wood color, and rough proportions to the one you have pictured, except that it has a hidden little drawer that is opened by pushing in the secret compartment at one end. Judging by the Edelweiss design, I am assuming that it might have been made in Austria/Germany/Switzerland/Tyrols. The striker portion is on the bottom in the form of a long oval shape set into the wood. It appears to be a chem. treated piece of thin card or wood strip, which is a dark reddish brown color and very rough in texture, almost like an emoryboard. This belonged to a 3xgreat cousin of mine, Capt. Crit Edwards of the 3rd KY Vol. Inf. C.S.A. Co. G.
      Last edited by Michael Semann; 12-30-2003, 07:50 PM.
      Michael Semann
      AC Staff Member Emeritus.

Comment

Mr. Semann,

Where could one acquire this "chem?" Is it very expensive? Thanks.
        Yours Truly
        Charlie Gerkin
        Rah Virginia Mil '11
        Tar Water Mess-GHTI
        VMI CWRT[/FONT][/FONT]

Comment

Charlie, I'm not sure if you meant that question a bit "tongue in cheek", or in ernest; however I used the abbreviation Chem. to mean Chemical, i.e. chemically treated strip of some sort. I couldn't begin to speculate what this coating is, only the rough appearance of the striking surface as I examined it. Cheers.
          Last edited by Michael Semann; 12-31-2003, 04:35 AM.
          Michael Semann
          AC Staff Member Emeritus.

Comment

Sorry,
            I misunderstood you, in thinking that to be a certain stone of some sort.

Would some sort of a rough stone work for a striker? Has anyone ever examined one of these?

Thanks to all, and have a Happy New Year
            Charlie Gerkin
            Rah Virginia Mil '11
            Tar Water Mess-GHTI
            VMI CWRT[/FONT][/FONT]

Comment

Charlie,

If you can obtain "strike anywhere" matches, there wouldn't be a need for a stiker. I get mine from friendly Pennsylvanians......
              Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

It would be a simple process of glue and sprinkles of emery or sand abrasive of some type. It's certain to be hand carved throughout.

I would like to have one too! :(
                [FONT=Arial Black]Mark Mason[/FONT]
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]Tarwater Mess[/FONT]
                [FONT=Arial Narrow][I]G.H. Thomas Invincibles[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                X