Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Original Sword

Hello Pards.

I have an original 1850 US Foot Officer's sword. I want to know if anyone out there knows of a good oil that will preserve the blade without damaging it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, Bill.
    Bill Treadway
    Co. A First Texas Infantry
    Co. A Forty-Fifth Mississippi Infantry
    Co. D Eighth Missouri Infantry (CS)

Re: Cleaning Original Sword

Although I have no personal experience with swords, Ballistol is said to be excellent for any type of cleaning, including long and short arms, leathers, etc. It can be purchased from sutlers or on their website.

Your Obedient Servant,

Bernard P. Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B
    Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B
    Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
    Outpost III

Comment

What kind of condition is the blade in? Most of these type swords had very nice blades. Any good qualitity gun oil applied and the excess removed by wiping with a soft cloth will preserve the finish.

If you are thinking of doing any serious cleaning my advice is don't. Think long and hard since once the patina of 130 some years is removed it can't be put back. In addition it may damage the grip wrap and lessen the value.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Thank you Fellas.

I should have written oil and not clean in my post. I don't want to "clean it" but want to use some safe oil to keep it protected. I don't want to change the swords appearance but want to preserve it the way it is. Take care.
        Bill Treadway
        Co. A First Texas Infantry
        Co. A Forty-Fifth Mississippi Infantry
        Co. D Eighth Missouri Infantry (CS)

Comment

Working...
        X