Civilian garments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian garments

Does anyone know where one might purchase a decent pattern for a civilian sack coat?
    Thanks,
    Scott Douglas

Re: Civilian garments

County Cloth/Charlie Childs. It may not be listed online, but you can contact him by phone. Your other option being a kit from him

Comment

I wasn't aware that Childs offered a civilian sack coat pattern. If he does, I'd certainly be interested.

The one I'm most familiar with is Homespun's civilian sack coat pattern. I've made two sack coats with the pattern; it's fairly easy to use.

Hope this helps.

Paul Lockhart

Comment

Originally posted by Niels_Kaas
        I wasn't aware that Childs offered a civilian sack coat pattern. If he does, I'd certainly be interested.

The one I'm most familiar with is Homespun's civilian sack coat pattern. I've made two sack coats with the pattern; it's fairly easy to use.

Hope this helps.

Paul Lockhart
        I contacted Charlie about the civilian sack coat pattern, and his answer was a simple "no." Too bad.

Adam Oswalt

Comment

Originally posted by adam_oswalt
          I contacted Charlie about the civilian sack coat pattern, and his answer was a simple "no." Too bad.

Adam Oswalt

Adam:

Didn't think so. Thanks for checking, though.

Paul Lockhart

Comment

Is the Homespun (http://www.jamescountry.com/) brand pattern that bad?
            Jack Booda

Comment

To answer your question...

If you're looking for a ready made, supreme quality sack coat, I must tout up the business of Brian "Speedy" Myrick and Kara Bartels, Corner Clothiers. They have a Gettysburg shop above Kline's shop. They also have a website, www.cornerclothiers.com . Kara uses original 1850s and 60s patterns for many of the clothing she makes including the sack coat. The wool broadcloth is closest I've seen yet to the 19th century broadcloth and it doesn't get much better than that. It's $210, but you're not getting something that should need replacing in 2-3 years so you'll get great use out of it. Also consider the fact that the English broadcloth is expensive and they put a lot of their energy and heart into their work. You won't be disappointed.

This discussion has been recently discussed on the civilian forum. I know with the ups and downs of the forums here right now it may or may not be there (would have to go check), but as a word to the wise in the future, you may get a quicker response about civilian clothing IN the civilian forums.

Good luck with your search and purchasing.
              Sincerely,
              Emmanuel Dabney
              Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
              http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

Working...
              X