First person

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First person

I posted the following in the Authenticity discussion and recived no replies after 15 viewers. Perhaps I posted in the wrong area.

Gentlemen of the forum,
    I was looking for some advice in the manner of first person. 2004 will start my third year in the hobby and I feel I've come a ways in two short years and still have a ways to go. I've improved my physical impression and still continue to do so. But what I really feel is missing is a good first person impression. The units that I have been with have preached first person to its members, but never really followed into it. Now that some pards and I have formed a new outfit, one of the ways we want to make ourselves better than the groups we got away from is, of course, first person. I was curious if there is any literature that would aid me in developing period speech patterns and help with 19th century topics outside of just the war and politics. I know that many of us, as we attend various living history events that we take on the impression of a specific soldier of the unit being portrayed. Having said that, is the best thing for me to learn speech patterns and topics, and then add the name and occupation of the soldier being presented by myself? I would be thankful for the experienece and reputation of those on this forum to help me at my task.
    Your obedient servant,

Re: First person

Jim, we are practically neighbors, drop me an email, and we'll discuss this and other issues.

Comment

Clark,
      Thank you for the reply. I've gotten over 100 viewers now combined with those from the Authenticity Discussion, and you and only one other have responded. I thought that because first person is such a big part of authenticity that I would have no trouble getting advice on a good way to get started. I feel I can fair well on my own, but any tips would be appreciated.

Comment

Mr. Conley... here's the short response to your question:

First person is an art, with continued research and some science as the contributing factors. Being essentially 21st century persons, the sum total of our life experiences are not a match for the life experiences of the citizen-turned-soldier of the 1860s. You can begin to fill this deficit from a wide variety of starting points. I'll provide you with some, and other's opinions may vary.

For persons desiring to portray a specific volunteer from a specific company and regiment, the blessings are mixed. A dearth of initial geneological information? Or just a name on a muster roll? Regardless... the next step is to understand the PERSON: who, what, where, when why, how, (and the one with which I challenge my classes-- "So what?" or "To what effect?") Foreign born or native born? Where did he gro up? Where did he live? Where does he live now? Family? Religious pursuits? Politics? Occupation (very important)? Friends and neighbors? Possessions? Can you read and write? How well? Availability of local newspapers? Letters? Journals? Diaries? How about descendants? (Family anecdotes are often very revealing about family traits, tendencies, and charater.)

Slowly collecting this inforation over time will begin to allow you insight into what I call the "Ninteenth Century mind." Ninteenth Centry people had a different view of themselves and their world than we do today. You see... you're going to have to try to understand, and to a limited degree experience, some of the sights, sounds, experiences, etc. of your selected person. But understand as THAT PERSON did, not as you, a 21st Century person!

For example... what was your person's trade? (Remember, the Civil War was but several years out this person's life... he HAD a life before the war!) Carpenter? Time to learn a bit of this trade, and with hand tools. Farmer? Time to contact your local historical museum or living history site and see if you can volunteer for several days-- and learn how to hitch a horse or mule or ox, how to plow a straight furrow, care for livestock, cut and stack hay (a dirty, sweaty job if there ever was one!), or at least understand basic ninteenth century farming practice (you might be amazed at how many fellow reenactors claim to be farmers, yet can't tell you the first thing about crops, haying, livestock, seasonal cycles, "planting by the signs," etc.!)

Religion? Time to look into that person's creed, if known (remember that there may have been some changes in religios practices since 1860!) How often did you "go to meetin'?"

Family? Single or married? Good relationship or less than that? Why? How does the FAMILY impact you... and in what ways? Children? Who? How many? What names? Favorites? Good times? Illnesses? Accidents? Family acitivites? Music? Games? What meals did you eat? What foods did you look forward to come Spring? What do they think of you "goin' to war?"

Environment? Was 1860 a good year for your person? If so, how so? If not, why not? What was going on with the neighbors? What was the prevailing "war talk?" Speaking of talk, does your region have a specific dialect? "Down East?" "Highland Southern?" What idioms were prevalent... or do idioms have you in a "mommick?" What was going on in town? What's going on in the county? State? Nation? Do you care? Should you?

There is so much more... and we have barely scratched the surface. Neither have we plunked down a single dollar for a reenacting soldier suit!

Hopefully, this will get you started. Remember, this process will take some time and yes practice. Further, your 'first person' may change over time, as new information and research comes to light. Think of your first-person project as a journey, not a book to be read and then put down.

Good luck! And feel free to email me off-board with specific questions.

Regards, Bob.
        [B]Robert Braun[/B]

<< Il nous faus de l'audace, encore l'audace, toujours l'audace! >>

Comment

Gentlemen, I have to agree that I have been to many events and talked to a reenactor and they said they were farmers. I live in a farming area and grew up on a farm in the summers here in the Shenandoah valley. You have to back it up. You definetly have to do your research and not all of the soldiers were farmers. First person can only be tricky, If you don't research. Pick one person and read their diary if available. The main thing is research! Pvt.Dan Morgan 10th Virginia volunteer Infantry Regiment

Comment

Working...
          X