Question on Virginia Militia Officer's Uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Virginia Militia Officer's Uniforms

Does anyone have any information on uniform regulations for the Virginia Militia for the period 1859-1861? I've tried Googling the web, but unfortunately have not found anything useful.

I'm particularly interested in officer's uniforms and the extent to which they mirrored US Army Regulations for the same period (i.e., sky blue vs. dark blue trousers, buttons, sword belt, etc.) Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Bill Reagan
    23rd Reg't
    Va. Vol. Infy.

Re: Question on Virginia Militia Officer's Uniforms

Bill,

Was this one of the sites you checked? Don't know if it will help

http://www.vmi.edu/archives/

Good luck
    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Hi,

This may be a start for you. I pulled this up on a WorldCat search:

Revised militia law of Virginia, to take effect from and after July 1, 1850; also, the rules and Articles of war, the uniform for officers and volunteer corps, and forms for certifying elections. Richmond VA: Ritchie & Dunnavant, 1850.

There are also undoubtedly articles about antebellum Virginia militia uniforms in "Todd's Military Equipage," "Military Collector & Historian," &c. &c.

Regards,

Mark D. Jaeger
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Greetings,

Here are some more items that may give you leads:

By-laws and regulations of the West Augusta Guard, Staunton, Virginia.
        Commissioned July 24, 1858. Adopted June 30, 1858.
        Corp Author(s): Virginia Infantry. West Augusta Guard.
        Publication: Staunton [Va.] Printed at the "Vindicator Office",
        Year: 1858
        Description: 12 p. 19 cm.
        Language: English
        (This is maintained at the University of Virginia)

Also this:

Regulations for the Va. Military Institute, at Lexington, Virginia :
        With an appendix, containing extracts from the General regulations of the Army.
        Virginia Military Institute (Lexington, Va.); United States.

English Book 110 p. ; 19 cm.
        Richmond : Macfarlane & Fergusson,

(This work is kept at no less than 12 different locations in Virginia and other states).

I would also suggest you do a search through the antebellum Virginia newspapers--these sometimes provide very interesting information about militia uniforms, arms, equipage, &c., &c.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Bill,

From the 1858 The Militia Law of Virginia pp. 111-118

Coat
          All officers are to wear a frock coat of dark blue cloth; the skirt to extend from two-thrids to three-fourths of the distance from the top of th hip to the bend of the knee; single-breasted for captains and lieutenants; double-breasted for all other grades. For cavalry - Same color, material, &c. as above; collar and cuffs to be edged with a cord or welt of yellow cloth. For artillery - The same as for cavalry; trimmings of scarlet cloth. For infantry - The same as for artlillery; trimmings of sky blue cloth. For riflemen - The same as for infantry; trimmings of emerald green cloth.

Buttons
          For all ranks and corps - Gilt-device, arms of Virginia; sizes according to United States army.

Trowsers
          To be of dark blue cloth, for all officers and for privates of volunteers, made without plaits. A gold cord, one-eighth of an inch in diameter, will be worn by general, field and mounted staff officers; for all corps, a welt or stripe, the color of the facings or trimmings of their respective corps.

Hat
          For officers - Of best black felt. The dimmensions, of medium size, to be as follows: width of brim, three and a quarter inches; height of crown, six and a quarter inches; oval of top, half inch; taper of crown, three-quarters of an inch; curve of head, three-eighths of an ince; the binding to be half inch deep, of best black ribbed silk.

Trimmings
          For general and field officers - Gold cord, with acorn shaped ends. The brim of the hat looped up on the right side, and fastened with an eagle attached to the side of the hat; three black ostrich feathers on the left side; a gold embroidered wreath in front, on black velvet ground, encircling the letters VA. in silver, old English characters.

A cocked hat, as prescribed in the general regulations of the army of the United States of 1847, may be worn by general and field officers, at their option; three black ostrich feathers to be worn with it instead of a plume.

Cravat or Stock
          For all officers - Black in all cases; when the former is worn, tie not to be visible at the opening of the collar.

Boots
          Ankle or Jefferson, in all cases.

Spurs
          Yellow metal or gilt.

Gloves
          For general, field or mounted staff officers - Buff or white.
          For all others - White.

Sash
          For all others [beside general officers] - Crimson silk net.

Sword Belt
          For all officers - A waist belt not less than one and a half inch or more than two inches wide; to be worn over the sash; the sword to be suspended from it by slings of the same material as the belt, with a hook attached to the belt upon which the sword may be hung.

Sword-Belt Plate
          In all cases gilt-device, arms of Virginia.

Sword and Scabbard
          For cavalry officers - Sabre and scabbard according to pattern United States army.
          For officers artillery, infantry and riflemen - Straight sword and scabbard, according to pattern United States army.

Sword Knot
          For general and field officers - Gold cord, with acorn end.

I've looked at the published Va militia law for 1850, 1858, and 1860. They're all basically the same, taking their cue from the US Regs. The 1860 law does not get into the above specifics, but does include this interesting statement:

52. The uniform and dress of the officers, non-commissioned officers, musicians and privates of the militia and volunteers, shall be prescribed by the governor: provided the officers and companies now uniformed shall not be required to change their uniforms until the same shall require renewal; and any volunteer company may, with permission of the governor, adopt such uniform as a majority desire.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Eric
          Eric J. Mink
          Co. A, 4th Va Inf
          Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Eric,

This is fantastic information -- thank you very much! Where did you find a copy of the militia law? If you have any more in either hard or electronic format, I'd like to get a copy.

The VMI website has a picture of the uniform General Jackson wore at as an instructor at VMI and during his early career as a Confederate officer (http://www4.vmi.edu/museum, then click on "Collection" and then "Stonewall Jackson at VMI"). The pictures are small, but it appears that the dress coat is the standard US pattern while the trousers are dark blue with a gold stripe, which is fully in accordance with the above regulations.

One thing occurs to me though: General Jackson was well-known to wear a plain blue forage cap, invariably described as his VMI instructor's cap. However, it doesn't conform to the regulations above, or even to US regulations, most Army officers wearing a French-pattern kepi. Does anybody have any information on where this cap came from? I've seen it in the VMI Museum, but it's difficult to draw any conclusions from seeing just the outside (especially since it's in poor condition).
            Bill Reagan
            23rd Reg't
            Va. Vol. Infy.

Comment

Bill,

I can't answer the questions about Jackson's uniform, but as we know, practice did not always follow the regulations. I suggest you see if you can't track down a copy of the VMI regs that Mark references above. If there are 12 copies floating around in repositories, you ought to be able to get one through interlibrary loan, if not an original than at least a photocopy.

You also might consider contacing the VMI curator, Keith Gibson, and ask him about Jackson's uniform and cap. Keith is very knowledgeable and an approachable gentleman. Coincidentally, I noticed Keith had a bit part in Wicked Spring when I was watching the movie the other night.

I retrieved the information from The Militia Law of Virginia when I visited the Virginia Historical Society a couple months ago. For copies, drop me a line at

Dignann@aol.com

and I'll see what I can do.

Eric
              Eric J. Mink
              Co. A, 4th Va Inf
              Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Greetings,

Here are the locations where you can find the 1854 VMI regs:

AUBURN UNIVERSITY
                UNIV OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY
                MISSOURI HIST SOCIETY
                DUKE UNIV LIBRARY
                UNIV OF N CAROLINA, CHAPEL HILL
                COLLEGE OF WILLIAM & MARY
                LIBERTY UNIV
                LOUDOUN CNTY PUB LIBR