Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Events checklist???

Originally posted by Spinster View Post
    A little hole in the glass about the size of BB?
    Just a little bigger, 1/4" across maybe. Unfortunately it was in the side of an original but cheap common bottle, which I was handling very carefully. Best guess for how it happend was when I noticed it had tipped over on its own while it was sitting in the grass late in the evening. I set it back up, checking to see that the cork was still tight, but didn't see any problem. Next morning, there was the hole. Maybe it hit the tiny sharp point of a rock in the grass, and I didn't notice the hole till morning?

Or could have been glass-eating termites.

It's the first piece of glassware, either original or repro, I can recall breaking in, um, well, I can't recall the last time.

The story of how I got a replacement bottle is a hoot in itself, and I used a tin cup at potable water sources until then, though I probably also could have plugged the hole well enough to get by in a true emergency and just lived with a very slow leak.

But it did point up the importance of having a reliable water container if you're also depending on purifying canal/creek/river water with tablets that take 30 minutes to work.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@voyager.net
    Hank Trent

Comment

Re: Events checklist???

Hank,

While I hate using candles enough that I tend to judge events by looking at the almanac to see if the moon will be near to full---I've plugged more than one leak by chewing beeswax until I had a wad sticky enough to take care of a problem in a glass bottle--especially if bound up with a cloth strip from that unused housewife you toted. ;)
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Working...
      X