Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: wearing US buckles upside down

Comrades,

Great discussion! I also tend to think the inverted US plates is overdone, but I did find an interesting picture!

On page 37 of CWTIs The Common Soldier of the Civil War by Bell I. Wiley (1973) there is an image of a Confederate cavalryman, wearing white leather sword belt, 1840 dragoon saber and two horsepistols (studio props?). It is interesting in that he is wearing an oval belt plate with an eagle on it (similar to some Mississippi plates,) but the plate is inverted. If I can somehow manage to get a scan, Ill try and post it here. Now, is it a studio thing, or is it his own belt and plate, cant say for sure, but its a great image.
    Robert W. Hughes
    Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
    Thrasher Mess
    Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
    ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
    Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
    And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

I know that picture! I stumbled across it in my stuff while I was looking for photos of Confederates with upside down buckles. IIRC, he's a pretty burly guy, who really fills the image, too.
      Rob Weaver
      Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
      "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
      [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Rob,

Thats the one! I cant get a scan of it, due to lack of resources and time. Anyone else out there know the pic?
        Robert W. Hughes
        Thrasher Mess

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"

Comment

Here you go.
          Last edited by roundshot; 01-20-2008, 04:33 PM.
          Bob Williams
          26th North Carolina Troops
          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew.Rector View Post
            On page 60 of the May 2007 issue of America's Civil War, there is a photo of Medal of Honor recipient Daniel P. Reigle, 87th PA. Interestingly, he is wearing his US belt upside down. The source provided for the photo is Gettysburg National Military Park.
            I wasn't looking for another example of a Federal Soldier wearing an upside down "US" belt plate, but I stumbled upon one. It can be found in the book The Shenandoah in Flames: The Valley Campaign of 1864, from the Time Life Civil War series. The photo is located on page 128 in the lower right corner and depicts 4th Vermont Drummer Nelson O. Wilcox-wearing an upside down US buckle.
            Matthew Rector

Comment

Mr. Williams

Thats the one! Thank you sir!
              Robert W. Hughes
              Thrasher Mess

Comment

That's indeed him - I find it interesting that he's even interpreted that the Federal eagle should be worn upside down. "Down with the eagle, and up with the cross!"
                Rob Weaver
                Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
                "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
                [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Hello All,

I'm sorry if I'm adding yet another post to a thread that has already gone on too long, but another thought has just occurred to me. Although I have never seen any solid proof myself, I have been told on several occaisions that Confederate guerillas, particularly those in Missouri, were very prone to wearing the Federal US buckles upside-down as most of their supplies came from captured Federal stores. Again, I have no solid proof of this and primary sources for the irregulars are few, but it seems very reasonable and I wondered if anyone else had any thoughts or information on the matter. I don't know how many people portray Missouri bushwhacker impressions, but it is interesting all the same.

Respectfully,

Kyle Wichtendahl

Comment

All,
                    In the 2008 Jack Melton Civil War Calender, the August photo soldier is an unknown Jonny wearing a battle shirt, kepi, bowie knife and an inverted US buckle. I'm not sure of Mr. Melton's scanning policy, but will shoot him an email and see if I can post it.
                    Bryant Roberts
                    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

This is a really neat discussion. Let me see if I am reading this right so far and if someone can straighten me out if I am not. We are still iffy on whether or not the belt buckles were wore upside down simply by accident or on purpose? And if they were wore upside down on purpose it didn't stand for "Southern Nation." I recently overheard a Reb talking to a group of folks at a recent event saying that is why they wore them that way....I was like uh oh. I haven't read of any primary documentation (or heard of any for that matter) stating that was what it stood for.
                      Seth Graves

Courage - a perfect sensibility of the measure of danger, and a mental willingness to endure it.

-William Tecumseh Sherman

Comment

The reason you don't have any documentation for "Southern Nation" by wearing a US belt buckle upside down is because there is...

A)No documentation whatsoever that a CS soldier would wear a belt upside down meaning "Southern Nation".

B)Some hearsay documentation held by sutlers of mainstreamers selling US belt buckles at Southern events.

C)An easy fix for mainstream re-enactors to change coats and really be fast by just turning their belts upside down for "quick-change galvinizing"; and is a cheap alternative as well.

D)All of the above.

Mark Berrier
                        North State Rifles
                        Mark Berrier

Comment

Just stumbled across another example of a Federal with an inverted US belt buckle. This one's from the famous photograph of the 61st New York's drummers at Falmouth, Virginia in March 1863 (Library of Congress). Not sure what to make of it, but the soldier (drum major?) is also wearing his sword on the right. I wonder if he thought the image would be reversed like in a tintype.

Brendan Hamilton
                          Jerusalem Plank Road

Comment

Hallo!

It is impossible to know intent or context...

However, with the pre War/early large, flat, "U.S." oval plates...

Previously (prior to 1857), the M1839 large plates were worn by dragoons, and small plates by infantry. The dragoon belt plates had the belt hooks reversed so that the hooks were under the "S" and not under the "U" as on the infantry plates.
                            (With shoulder strap and sabre sling straps in the way, the cartridge box and later cap box had to slide over the end on the belt on the wearer's right- requiring the plate to have studs on the wearer's left behind the "S" and the hook behind the "U." Not so for the infantry.)

I suspect, but do not know, that this lad was issued a (former) 'dragoon' plate that when worn on the infantry waistbelt that caused the belt to be inverted.

On the other hand, he may have just been in a hurry and did not notice he had his belt on upside down.

;) :)

Curt
                            Curt Schmidt
                            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                            -Vastly Ignorant
                            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I think that 61NY drummer is secretly a southern sympathizer....
                              Bryant Roberts
                              Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                              palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Hallo!

Curt
                                Curt Schmidt
                                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                                -Vastly Ignorant
                                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
                                X