Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US 1857 Cartrige Box...but where to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US 1857 Cartrige Box...but where to buy?

Hello all

I am in the market for a 1857 Cartrige Box, Cal58. On our last event (1862) I fell through the kit inspection (and right they were) because of using an 1864 model. Now I have checked the various dealer sites, both the ones recommended here and on the approved vendor list of the Columbia Rifles but I am unsure which one to go to. In the past I (we) have made good experience with Jarnagin leather items but what makes me wonder is that the 1857 model, being identical to the 1861one, apart from two rivets added on the later one, is 27.50$ more expensive
    I don't mind the extra if it is justified but with aprice range from 125$ all the way up to 225$ I would like to ask to proffesional advice before ordering, please.

thanks a lot
    Uwe
    Uwe Zankl
    A Co. 5th VA Inf.
    Mittbach/Germany

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/anj4de/AVATACWklein.jpg[/IMG]

Re: US 1857 Cartrige Box...but where to buy?

Uwe:

Surely others will chime in...

The dollar's weakness is your gain in Euros. Both lists you quote have excellent products and having purchased from quite a few, I have no complaints. Jarnigan's goods have improved over the years, and while still not Sekala or Duvall, they are usually passable.

Go with what you think best, and please consider lead times when ordering.

Best wishes,
    Ley Watson
    POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Depends on your price range but EJ Thomas produces all their repro boxes off originals in their collection. The workmanship is non-pareil. As good as anything on the market. The Watchdog evaluated a couple of their cartridge boxes, and they were all enthusiastically recommended. They even duplicate the correct tying off points on the inside of the box. The EJT boxes are the current "state of the art". These will take the Pepsi challlenge with anything out there. You can read the review if you want all the details and reasons why in the appropriate back issue of the Watchdog Civil War Quarterly (www.watchdogreview.com). I think the review on the EJTs was published in 2006, it was shortly after the Corinth event in 2005, when they first came to market.

For a very good less expensive box, the Bob Serio "Missouri Boot and Shoe" boxes are well made, also produced from originals in Bob Serio's collection. These are recommended as well.
      Last edited by Craig L Barry; 05-22-2007, 08:02 AM.
      Craig L Barry
      Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
      Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
      Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Moin Uwe, habe dir ne PM geschickt :)
        Jan H.Berger
        Hornist

German Mess
        http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Uwe,
          An 1857 box made by EJ Thomas just passed through my hands on its way to a customer....a faithful repop and great folks to do business with.
          Joseph Hofmann

Comment

Working...
          X